News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Newb Fuel System Question

Started by cudadude013, January 12, 2008, 04:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudadude013

Hi all,

I've been trying to get my '68 to run for the last six months and I'm brand new to working on cars so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious. Theres something wrong with my fuel system and my only guess is that I need a new fuel pump but it could easily be something else I just wanted to see if you guys could offer any help.Yesterday I filled a zip loc bag full of fuel and poked a hole in it and let it drain into the carb and it started right up. But if I don't manually dump fuel into the carb this way  it won't get any.

The fuel line is currently hooked up to one of those red plastic gas cans which was only about 1/4 of the way full (this could be another problem cause the fuel line is on the top of the red canister so I don't see how its supposed to get fuel)

Any idea's for a newb? Thanks a bunch!  :2thumbs:

Steve P.

If I am reading this right, you have the rubber fuel line connected to the VENT of the fuel can. This will not work. The line MUST be submerged in the fuel. I have had the occasion that I needed to start and run a motor with a fuel can. I use a piece of straight tubing shoved into the end of the pick up hoes and set to the bottom of the can making sure it is well below the fuel line.

Are you using the factory mechanical pump or an electric pump?
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

cudadude013

I think its a factory pump and thanks for the reply. I've been learning alot from this board!

Steve P.

I would try it the way I described and see if she will run. If not and you are sure the end of the hose or tube IS in the fuel I would remove the fuel filter and blow through it to be sure it is not plugged up solid.

While the fuel filter is off you could place another long piece of fuel hose from the outlet of the pump back to the fuel can and crank the motor over watching to see if the pump is actually working.  Just be damn careful to NOT blow fuel all over the place. This is best done with 2 people..

Let us know how it works out.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

cudadude013

Yeah, thanks, I'll give it a shot.

suntech

I guess what you have there, is a outboard engine gas tank. They have an internal fuel pick up, so even on 1/4 tank you should be fine.
What i would do is: Open the lid in the tank you use. Then disconnect the fuelline from the carburettor, and put an air gun in it, and blow. (from the carburettor side of the fuel line)
Like this you will see if the line is clogged, or not, and your buddy that is sitting back there, watching the tank, can tell you if there is blowing pure air, or if it bubbles in the tank!!
If it is clogged, the airgun will hopefully create pressure enaugh to blow it open, and the crap that clogged it in the first place will end up in the tank.
then just diconnect the tank, clean it, and hook it up again :2thumbs:
When you have checked this, and knows that the lines are open, and that it actually has the pickup fully submerged in fuel, then you are down to just one thing, if it still not works.............the fuel pump :2thumbs:
Rolf
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Steve P.

I would NOT put high pressure through the fuel pump.. This could blow the pump, if it is not already.

Also he said RED GAS CAN, not outboard marine fuel tank....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

suntech

You´re right Steve, blow through the factory pump is not a good idea :eek2:
Jank the hose off where it goes on to the pump will work then.
Have never seen a gas can with an air bleed HOSE CONNECTION, so i just assumed it was a tank for an outboard.  :shruggy:

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

cudadude013

It may be an outboard engine gas tank. I just didn't know what to call it before now. I'll be sure to test all of the ideas and I'll keep you posted on the results. You guys have been great! :cheers: