News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

*Eighth Wonder of the World?..

Started by Brock Samson, January 10, 2008, 07:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: *The "eighth wonder of the world" might be debateable perhaps but it's interesting no doubt.

"Nestling in the foothills of the Alps in northern Italy, 30 miles from the ancient city of Turin, lies the valley of Valchiusella. Peppered with medieval villages, the hillside scenery is certainly picturesque.
  It is deep underground, buried into the ancient rock, that the region's greatest wonders are concealed.
Indeed, the Italian government was not even aware of their existence until a few years ago.
But the 'Temples of Damanhur' are not the great legacy of some long-lost civilisation, they are the work of a 57-year-old former insurance broker from northern Italy who, inspired by a childhood vision, began digging into the rock."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=495538&in_page_id=1811

http://www.dontleavetheearthuntil.com/page/1/default.asp

Neal_J

I always thought the "8th Wonder of the World" was Chyna from the WWE.    No?

PocketThunder

Quote from: Brock Samson on January 10, 2008, 07:55:15 PM
  :scratchchin: *The "eighth wonder of the world" might be debateable perhaps but it's interesting no doubt.

"Nestling in the foothills of the Alps in northern Italy, 30 miles from the ancient city of Turin, lies the valley of Valchiusella. Peppered with medieval villages, the hillside scenery is certainly picturesque.
  It is deep underground, buried into the ancient rock, that the region's greatest wonders are concealed.
Indeed, the Italian government was not even aware of their existence until a few years ago.
But the 'Temples of Damanhur' are not the great legacy of some long-lost civilisation, they are the work of a 57-year-old former insurance broker from northern Italy who, inspired by a childhood vision, began digging into the rock."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=495538&in_page_id=1811

http://www.dontleavetheearthuntil.com/page/1/default.asp

Holy Crap!  Talk about having a hobby to consume your free time... :smash: :smash: :smash:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Khyron

For those of you who don't have the time to finish your Chargers... Use this guy as inspiration :lol:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Lowprofile

Quote from: Neal_J on January 10, 2008, 08:35:27 PM
I always thought the "8th Wonder of the World" was Chyna from the WWE.    No?

No, she is the 9th. :D

Thanks Brock. Cool story.  :2thumbs:  from my wife. She has added that to our list of things to see when we go to Italy. :cheers:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Brock Samson

I got your Eighth Wonder of the world right here...  :drool5:

Rocky

Forza

Holy crap, now that's something you dont see everyday. I cant even imagine how long that took to make. Cool find Brock.

And mmm mmm mmm who doesn't like Scarlet Johansen.

1969chargerrtse

I don't mean to sound shallow, but the first thing I wondered was, How the heck did he load a picture that large on the site?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

dodgecharger-fan

Truly amazing and beautiful, but hardly a wonder.

What's to wonder about? The guy was around to tell the story.

The only aspect to wonder about is "Why" and he's even given an answer to that. You just need to convince yourself that you're content with that answer.

I don't mean to detract from his creation by nay means. I just have a hard time accepting "wonders of the world' that have been explained.

I live 10 minutes from Niagara Falls, often listed as a wonder.
It's water. In a river. A river that flows over the edge of the Niagara Escarpment. It falls over the edge. It lands on the rocks below. It keeps flowing down the river.
It sure is beautiful, though. But hardly a wonder.

Neal_J

What about Andre the Giant?  Was he the 8th wonder??

Neal

timmy

Italy is a great place to go. i loved it there and did not want to go home

Brock Samson

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on January 11, 2008, 08:48:26 AM
Truly amazing and beautiful, but hardly a wonder.

What's to wonder about? The guy was around to tell the story.

The only aspect to wonder about is "Why" and he's even given an answer to that. You just need to convince yourself that you're content with that answer.

I don't mean to detract from his creation by nay means. I just have a hard time accepting "wonders of the world' that have been explained.

I live 10 minutes from Niagara Falls, often listed as a wonder.
It's water. In a river. A river that flows over the edge of the Niagara Escarpment. It falls over the edge. It lands on the rocks below. It keeps flowing down the river.
It sure is beautiful, though. But hardly a wonder.

Well that's why I said it's debateable, i titled this thread that becuase the linked article's headline called it that...

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: Brock Samson on January 12, 2008, 03:00:04 PM
Well that's why I said it's debateable, i titled this thread that becuase the linked article's headline called it that...

I didn't mean it to be a shot at you or what you called the thread. I just think the whole "wonder" thing is used incorrectly.
And I wasn't knocking the real content of the story either. It's truly amazing what the guy has done, but there's no mystery about it, so what's to wonder about?

Andre the giant: All I wonder about him is what he wanted to say when my under-5-foot-tall granny hit him with her umbrella because she was mad at him for beating her favourite wrestler back in the days of Maple Leaf Wrestling. (i'm trying to remember which wrestler it was....I'll have to ask my uncle or one of my brothers. They'll remember.)

I think the real problem with all of this is that things were lost in translation: The Greek category was not "Wonders" but "theamata", which translates closer to "must-sees".

Mike DC

When you look at the original "Seven wonders," you realize that our civilization sucks at that stuff compared to the older ones.