News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help replacing brakes and drums

Started by charger2fast4u, December 31, 2007, 11:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

i am replacing my brakes and the rear driver's side drum has big gouges in it so it needs replaced. should i buy all four new drums or just that one or 2 new rear drums? would it cause me to have uneven braking having one new drum then the rest used?

Chatt69chgr

I think in general that you want to replace these on both sides at the same time.  The idea is to have the inside diameter of the drum to be the same on both sides---I mean both fronts or both rears.  I got Raybestos drums from Pep Boys but they had to order them in.  Bendix parts are top quality but are often hard to find.  Personally, I think Raybestos is just as good but they are now becoming hard to find.  A lot of these places now carry their own brand and you have no idea where they came from or what the quality level is.  You can order all the Raybestos parts you need from Rock Auto if you don't find them locally.  You could just replace the one drum if you were strapped for cash.  The difference in braking may or may not be noticable.  In a hard braking situation, uneven braking in the rear could cause the car to come around on you.  Brakes are one think I take very seriously and I don't skimp on $$ when it comes to them.  You will want to check the wheel cylinders to make sure the bores are nice and clean and that they are not leaking any.  No use ruining a new set of shoes due to a $10 wheel cylinder failing.

NMike

with the chance that you will never do the rear brakes again (your planing on driving the car 40k miles?) replace everything with quality new parts. do it right once, and don't do it again.

charger2fast4u

i will be using the stock drum brakes for about a year or so until i can afford disc brakes all the way around. what are some good names to get for new drums and brakes? should i keep the front two used drums  and just replace the 2 rear?

charger2fast4u

does the front drums come off like the rear ones just take the tire off and pull the drum off because my front drums dont want to budge even when i hit them with a hammer

pete

Just be careful when buying new shoes.....take your old ones in for comparison.  I couldn't believe what the computer told them would fit my car.  There was actually a hole missing for one of the springs!  So, save yourself time and take the old ones in to make sure!

BRS

Drums are pretty cheap so I would just start with the new stuff. Also, the shoes are different if it had the heavy duty brakes (i.e. R/T car) Be sure to measure the width and lenght of the shoe. I would also replace the bearings and races as well.

Steve P.

Quote from: charger2fast4u on January 02, 2008, 12:39:02 PM
does the front drums come off like the rear ones just take the tire off and pull the drum off because my front drums dont want to budge even when i hit them with a hammer

Most after market drums I have seen will come off in the same fashion as the rears. Some, including factory, will need to be removed by pulling the dust cap, cotter pin, wheel bearing adjustment nut and the wheel bearings. If those drums are bad you can press off the bad drums and the new drums will more than likely slip on like the rears. This is also a very good time to check those bearings and seals. Replace them if you have any doubts.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida