News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door handle claim I've never heard until now

Started by bull, January 10, 2008, 04:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

There's a guy selling new Charger door handles on Ebay who claims that his are the only correct style for our cars. :shruggy: I've never heard this before so, as usual, I figured I'd run it past the experts.

Here's his auction. Please look it over and tell me what you think:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220175394977&rd=1

Ghoste

I don't know much about the 68-70 ones but I don know there was something to what he's saying about some of the offerings out there not fitting the 66-67 properly.  The reasons were supposed to be the same as what this guy is claiming about not fitting tightly to the curvature of the door skin.  So maybe there is something to it.

charger Downunder

He is right i bought a brand new pair of mopar ones and they are shit they dont fit snuggly aganst the door skin,they leave a gap ,mopar seems to sell one size fits all attitude.I got my old ones redone.I was pissed off ,i was told i could always return them ,that would be fine if i lived in the States.The dealer said the next parts i order he would give me a discount.Now if i buy any mopar parts or repro parts i ask aroud because it becomes an expensive exersize with freight to Australia if you buy shit.
[/quote]

charger Downunder

[/quote]

tan top

yeah  fit like crap :flame:  , got some  re-pop / original   :scratchchin:  mopar ones from  a dealer ,  not only did they not fit good but had to re use , un screw the bit on  the back from my original handles as although they were a pair left & right , both of the mechanisms were  both left side , not that was a  biggie  because ,  had to change the chrome buttons with my original black anyway , but it was the fit that really  :flame: , going to get my original ones re- chromed , some time  been saying that for  5 years:rotz: though
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Shakey

And here's another thread about them.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,29939.0.html

In the end, I sent two of my originals in to get rechromed and they turned out great.  Maybe a bit more than buying reproductions but worth it.   :yesnod: 

I'd say that one of my major pet peeves when it comes to restoring a car (and this is my first one) is when I spend money thinking I've got the best product available for my project on the way, it arrives, I unpack it and it looks great and then I go to install it and the air slowly turns blue in the shop!   :RantExplode:

I've had a few disapointing weekends as I've geared up to tackle certain aspects of the project only to be let down.  Since I only have access to my car on weekends, planning is key.

bull

I have to wonder then why is this guy the only person who has access to them? Maybe I'll ask him and post his reply. :scratchchin:

EDIT -- I asked him the question and included a link to this thread. Maybe he'll come here and tell us what's going on with these parts. I don't want to spend $150 or so on something that won't work. I've already done that a few times. :P

QuicksilverDiecast

Well I was invited to join your awesome forum and asked to respond to this question. First off my name is Larry Curtis and I have 36 years experience with Mopar Parts, and RAN Frederick Dodge's parts for many years(I am no longer associated with them) so I know both sides. The handles that Mopar sells are superceded handles  in 2 different styles one is the B&D series van and truck handle with the NON ball mount linkage mechanisms, the other one has the correct passenger car ball mount linkage mechanisms HOWEVER neither one is correct in fitment for passenger cars, while they will bolt on if you look underneath where the chrome handle body pushbuttom area you will notice quite a bit of a gap where it will not snug up against the sheetmetal unless of course you force it then you will mess up your door skin and the handle will angle downward. Again as I have stated we at Dale's Cuda Shop are the only one who reproduce the CORRECT FITMENT and Ball linkage mechanism outside door handles for A & 68-70 B & C & even the E Bodies(we do not offer 66+67 B Handles yet,I am trying but Dale is tuff at times trying to convince there is a big market for 66 & 67 items.... plus a ton more stuff, we are the manufacturer and supply many vendors like Year One but we are also selling direct thru ebay seller quicksilverdiecast  and www.quicksilverdiecast.com , which is far from being loaded with the products and also has an extensive historical picture area which I have still many more photos and Mopar related neat stuff  to put up, as well as pictures of my cars and friends cars. I wish I had enough hours in the day and do not usually get the forums often as you guys keep us very busy just keeping the parts flowing. We are also continually getting new reproductions made and will be posting them on those two sites above....a side note on the 68 69 70 B handles while the 68 to mid year 69 handle had black plastic pushbuttons we only have the chrome ones, but you can replace the chrome with your original black ones OR if you choose you could powdercoat the chrome ones black...

Thanks again from Larry Curtis / Dale's Cuda Shop

Ghoste

I'll put you in the hot seat Larry and ask your opinion of the 66-67 handle that Layson's sell, know anything about it?

QuicksilverDiecast

Quote from: Ghoste on January 10, 2008, 01:45:53 PM
I'll put you in the hot seat Larry and ask your opinion of the 66-67 handle that Layson's sell, know anything about it?

Your more than welcome to ask however I have not seen them as yet to date. On the same note of Mopar handles and fitment  they are doing the same thing with the e-bodies saying one fits both Cuda & Challenger, however they do NOT as the curve of the door skin is different, even my district manager at the time looked at them and said they were crap in both finish and quality where the small pull handle did not even fit the handle body, I can't tell you how many we sent back to Mopar when I worked for them....Larry

The70RT

I bought some NOS ones from Frank Mitchell like 8 years ago.....hopefully they fit ok.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bull

Larry,

Thanks for coming here and giving us your info. I figured you must have been reproducing them since you are the only one who brings this issue up in the description. Anyway, keep up the good work. I'll probably be buying a set from you one of these days.

BB1

Bull, it is the same dam handle as my 92 Dodge truck. Total  :icon_bs:
Delete my profile

bull

Hey, if it worked for you it worked for you. Can't argue that, but looking over those other threads linked above I know there are some people here who have had some problems. Obviously there's a discrepancy somewhere. :shruggy: An extra $45 might be cheap insurance because it sounds like a bit of a gamble as to which style you get.

daytonalo

Are you saying that every other repop handle on the market are crap and don't fit ?? I bought a set a while back from who I forget , but have not painted my car yet

QuicksilverDiecast

Quote from: daytonalo on January 10, 2008, 06:34:03 PM
Are you saying that every other repop handle on the marketare crap and don't fit ?? I bought a set a while back from who I forget , but have not painted my car yet

I can only say this when you go to bolt the other ones on your door look and see if I am not telling you the gospel....the ONLY other ones that would be correct are the ORIGINAL Chrysler Part Numbered ones :2thumbs: from the 1968 1969 1970-71 Chrysler Parts Manuals if you got the LATER superceded part number ones they are wrong I think the last 3 number of the superceded ones are 390 right side 391 left side, the ORIGINAL ones are long gone. But as I say look under the pushbutton area where the gasket meets the body and see how thin the body of the handle is and the wedge like gap where it does NOT fit the door skin.  Ok did you ever clean around your door handles after waxing the car trying to get all the wax out with a soft tooth brush.....OK then follow around the bottom edge below the button and see if you have a big gap, or if you have pulled the handle down so tight that the skin is warped & wavy and makes the handle angle down where you actually grab it. There is a 69 Charger R/T in a local body shop here that has the Van handles he bought and clearly show how they do NOT fit :brickwall:, I will go down and take some close ups and post them here if you like. And again while they, appearance wise look, the same as the Van and Truck door handles THEY DO NOT FIT CORRECTLY! Never did never will. Prove it to yourself :shruggy: measure the thickness of the chrome handle area on the bottom edge below the button, then measure your ORIGINAL ones you want to replace, The ORIGINALS and OUR DCS REPRODUCTIONS are 1/2" thick. The incorrect handles are MUCH thinner which creates the wrong angle and leaves a big gap.... :brickwall:

BRS

I purchased a set from Quicksilver and they fit fine. (Right in....no gaps) Just an FYI. Thanks!

daytonalo

Thanks , I'm not doughting you ! I 'm about to paint my Daytona three stage Lamborghini orange , and don't need surprises ! Thanks Cupcake !! :icon_smile_big:

Larry

8WHEELER

The two sets I bought through Frank Mitchell were repop units, the studs don't line up
with the two stock doors I tried them on, so they are worthless, and for the first time
Frank would never get back to me, sent him many emails explaining the problem, no
response, I think this is way to common..................

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

bull

Quote from: 8WHEELER on January 10, 2008, 11:07:51 PM
The two sets I bought through Frank Mitchell were repop units, the studs don't line up
with the two stock doors I tried them on, so they are worthless, and for the first time
Frank would never get back to me, sent him many emails explaining the problem, no

Dan

Dan, someday you'll have to add up the cost of all the reproduction parts you've gotten hosed on. I've heard you tell so many stories about this I'm starting to get depressed. :'(

8WHEELER

And it is still going on   :slap:   but no comment....................

Todd Wilson

Quote from: BB1 on January 10, 2008, 04:33:23 PM
Bull, it is the same dam handle as my 92 Dodge truck. Total  :icon_bs:

I got lots of 70's Dodge truck door handles! Maybe I can sell them for a few hundred dollars a piece!    :2thumbs:

Todd

QuicksilverDiecast

Quote from: 8WHEELER on January 10, 2008, 11:07:51 PM

Dan

Dan I was told awhile ago that Frank had sold out I believe to his partner or one of the employee's, am I 100% sure that he has no...but the source is very reliable.  Larry

69_500

I'm 99% sure that Frank hasn't sold out as I just bought a part from him 2 days ago. Side note of course.

Nice looking Daytona in your avitar there quicksilver. Is that the other 999 car?

gtx6970

Quote from: 69_500 on January 11, 2008, 04:53:08 PM
I'm 99% sure that Frank hasn't sold out as I just bought a part from him 2 days ago. Side note of course.

Nice looking Daytona in your avitar there quicksilver. Is that the other 999 car?

Yes,
Frank has sold the parts and now works for the people who bought it.

Charger_Fan

Welp, I guess I'm sold. I'll be ordering a pair of these before long for mine. :yesnod:
Thanks for the good info, guys.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Shakey

Quote from: QuicksilverDiecast on January 10, 2008, 01:19:39 PM
Well I was invited to join your awesome forum and asked to respond to this question. First off my name is Larry Curtis and I have 36 years experience with Mopar Parts, and RAN Frederick Dodge's parts for many years(I am no longer associated with them) so I know both sides. The handles that Mopar sells are superceded handles  in 2 different styles one is the B&D series van and truck handle with the NON ball mount linkage mechanisms, the other one has the correct passenger car ball mount linkage mechanisms HOWEVER neither one is correct in fitment for passenger cars, while they will bolt on if you look underneath where the chrome handle body pushbuttom area you will notice quite a bit of a gap where it will not snug up against the sheetmetal unless of course you force it then you will mess up your door skin and the handle will angle downward. Again as I have stated we at Dale's Cuda Shop are the only one who reproduce the CORRECT FITMENT and Ball linkage mechanism outside door handles for A & 68-70 B & C & even the E Bodies(we do not offer 66+67 B Handles yet,I am trying but Dale is tuff at times trying to convince there is a big market for 66 & 67 items.... plus a ton more stuff, we are the manufacturer and supply many vendors like Year One but we are also selling direct thru ebay seller quicksilverdiecast  and www.quicksilverdiecast.com , which is far from being loaded with the products and also has an extensive historical picture area which I have still many more photos and Mopar related neat stuff  to put up, as well as pictures of my cars and friends cars. I wish I had enough hours in the day and do not usually get the forums often as you guys keep us very busy just keeping the parts flowing. We are also continually getting new reproductions made and will be posting them on those two sites above....a side note on the 68 69 70 B handles while the 68 to mid year 69 handle had black plastic pushbuttons we only have the chrome ones, but you can replace the chrome with your original black ones OR if you choose you could powdercoat the chrome ones black...

Thanks again from Larry Curtis / Dale's Cuda Shop

Pretty cool of you to take the time to stop by, introduce youself and share your knowledge with us!   :2thumbs:

Stick around as I think it's great to have vendors involved in our discussions.   :cheers:

resq302

As I have said to Mike from BE&A body, thank you for reproing parts with an attention to details.  Anyone can repro a part, but vendors that take the extra time to make it "correct" will always get my business no matter how much more the part is over the incorrect fitting pieces.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

QuicksilverDiecast

Quote from: 69_500 on January 11, 2008, 04:53:08 PM

Yes sir it is it was originally a 999 special order paint Tan metallic with brown bucket seat interior, 440 automatic, it is also the car on the HEMI poster with the Orange Superbird setting next to it on the high bank track, it was Kenny's when that picture was taken. The car still exsists and I believe is still in North Canton Ohio along side of another Red Daytona and a Red 69 500 and a 300G Convert as I remember. I drove it back from N.Carolina and still have the 200 MPH license plate. Sometime this year I hope to put another Superbird in my garage, nothing exotic just a nice clean driver to enjoy, maybe track down the Orange one I had.

QuicksilverDiecast

Pretty cool of you to take the time to stop by, introduce youself and share your knowledge with us!   :2thumbs:

Stick around as I think it's great to have vendors involved in our discussions.   :cheers:

I will drop by as often as possible, thanks for your kind words and the welcome you guys have extended is appreciated.

Here's a shot of my Mark Martin GENUINE I.R.O.C. Avenger and 2K Avenger

daytonalo

Why do you have a park bench on your hatch ??

QuicksilverDiecast

Quote from: daytonalo on January 12, 2008, 10:00:54 AM
Why do you have a park bench on your hatch ??
Yeah I kinda figure I would get some flack with my :hah: 2nr'd Avenger, I also enjoy the new turbo technology :2thumbs: generation cars and still MOPAR, but hey The Daytona Charger was the first to put the clothes dryer assy :icon_smile_big: on the rear of the cars, I used to get a lotta flack over them also, and the "hey why did you put a Vette front end on your Road Runner!" then you had the guys who put Superbird wings on their RR's & GTX's as well as the huge PLYMOUTH & DODGE letter on the quarters....so it has its roots in a twisted sorta way I guess.

My 69 RR I have owned for 30+years

daytonalo

Thought maybe you bought the car from Puff Daddy !!! :icon_smile_big:

69_500

I've got the HEMI poster you mentioned hanging up in my garage. Then again I have 3 other copies of it still rolled up that haven't ever been out. The HEMI 500 that is on the poster was my dad's car.

daytonalo

Well I just test fit the handles I bought a year ago , what a piece of shit !!!! Thanks for the tip !!!

bull

I might rechrome my original handles too. I got a pretty good quote ($55 each) to have mine replated locally. Are they pot metal or stamped or what? They don't really seem like pot metal to me.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to talk Larry into a group buy/dc.com discount. :2thumbs: If you've seen the ebay ads section lately you are probably well-versed in all his products. :icon_smile_big:

Charger_Fan

Quote from: bull on January 14, 2008, 07:31:53 PM

Meanwhile, I'm trying to talk Larry into a group buy/dc.com discount. :2thumbs:
That would be schweet! :icon_smile_cool:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

68charger383

I got mine rechromed after reading the posts on the repops...looks pretty good, but I can still see the spots on the handle where it was a little pitted if I get down close.

I guess if the claims are true, I'd be interested in buying another set if we get a group buy going.

How come no one is repopping the black door push buttons?
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

bull

Sounds like Larry might do something this spring. :2thumbs:

8WHEELER

Quote from: 68charger383 on January 16, 2008, 01:19:22 AM
I got mine rechromed after reading the posts on the repops...looks pretty good, but I can still see the spots on the handle where it was a little pitted if I get down close.

I guess if the claims are true, I'd be interested in buying another set if we get a group buy going.

That is to bad that you can see some small pits, I have had two sets re-chromed at our big chrome
shops in town, and both sets came out looking better than the NOS units I have bought, just sweet   ;D

Dan

Shakey

Quote from: 8WHEELER on January 16, 2008, 02:59:52 AM
Quote from: 68charger383 on January 16, 2008, 01:19:22 AM

That is to bad that you can see some small pits, I have had two sets re-chromed at our big chrome
shops in town, and both sets came out looking better than the NOS units I have bought, just sweet   ;D

Dan

Same here!