News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

To Sell or not... the ragtop dilemma....

Started by nuati2d, October 11, 2005, 09:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuati2d

Ok, I'm weak.. I admit it.... so, alright, it started out as a passing interest when i lived up north in Philadelphia... Nice spring or fall day, maybe cruising to the Jersey shore or through Amish country - would be neat to road trip in an ol' rag ... But then there was winter - 5 months outta the year locked away in the garage while the salt ravaged everything else in sight... then 2 more months of only short grocery trips while the state filled the craters that opened up all over the very roads that made the topless road trip so appealing in the first place.... 

then I moved to Atlanta - land of the all-night Auto Zones - a hot rodders wet dream... 'Twas there I scored my beloved Beast  :devil: - Warmer temps, no salt, few craters, lotsa cruise-ins... plenty of drive time but not as much to road trip to (junkyards not withstanding)... Still, I carried the ragtop jones around like a well worn Samsonite.. 

Well now i'm in Florida and I can't take it anymore....  the combination of all-year ragtop weather, beaches and babes are too much and I'm becoming a full-on ragtop guy. 

So, the dilemma - Do I sell my beloved triple black nightmare, former star of staging lanes and tv screens, which still holds my heart, wallet and soul but  which I might relinquish in the face of my quest for the perfect rag?

If you saw the list of upgrades, restorations and detailing that I've done on her over the years, you'd think I was nuts (if you're not already there) - Corbeau interior, am/fm thumbwheel stereo conversion, Classic Air A/C, wiring harnesses, etc...  I've sourced just about every functional NOS part you could find for these cars in the last 9 years (switches, locks, various trim items).. Don't know I'd want to go through it again - but then there's that vision....

So, if you've made it this far through my diatribe, do I go for the dream or keep living the reality?

2Gunz

If you sell the car you have, no doubt will you miss it.

Why not keep it and buy a second car?

Old Moparz

What kind of ragtop is it? (I'm asking in case I want it.) If I don't want it, I'll tell you to keep it so you won't miss it, but if I do want it, I'll tell you you should get rid of it cheap.  :icon_smile_big:

Personally, I wouldn't sell it unless I had another one to replace it.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Ghoste

Unless the rag has to be an E-body I say get both.  There are plenty of nice verts to be had in more affordable colors.

TeeWJay426

Do what I did.... get the 'vert and keep the Charger!

74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

41husk

you are correct, every year around this time I give thought to selling my convertible Challenger.  I guess it is just a seasonal thing, but I have owned her since 1982.  Thats longer than I have had one of my kids, so she is part of the family.  I think if I were driving it every weekend I wouldnt get these urges.  If the right offer came along I would probably sell her and regret it for the rest of my life.  I am installing the engine and headlight wiring harnesses, putting the drive shaft back in tonight, and hookink up the tranny and throttle linkage, so it won't be long until I can cruize in her again. (relativley speaking since I took it apart for a fast winter fix up back in 93) My concern is, will I feel a desire to sell my Charger after the convertible is on the road. 
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

NYCMille

Dude... post a pic... we have no idea what the car looks like, throw up some exterior, interior and engine photo's.

41husk

The challenger had a 318/904 when I bought her in Millington TN.  I was told it was the original drive train.  When I pulled the 318 in 93 I noticed the build date was 78, so inless they had a time machine that aint the matching drive train.  It had a strange small radiator and a little 8.25 Rear these hints led me to the fact i had a original 1970 6cyl convertible Challenger.  I picked up a short block 340 and have completed and installed.  The car was red when I purchased it I did a cheap repaint in 1990 at that time I got the ralley hood and through away my perfect flat hood.  I put new springs from espy under it last year got a 8.75 from rollmike cand blasted and painted it before installing.  Installed new gas tank, brake lines, SSBC front disc brakes and new fuel lines,  The car has been sanded in areas and you can see the original Yellow that I am going back to.  I cleaned and painted both the trunk and the engine compartment and painted them y1 yellow before installing the 340.  Sorry for high jacking this thread, but cudaken has some pics of it prior to the gas tank and rear end installation maybe he will post them.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Steve P.

Naut. Keep the Charger.. The Big Daddy show is coming and you will more than likely find a good rag there.. This year we have to meet up. I left early last year as my back was killing me.. 

Besides, we NEED more Mopars in our neck of the woods.......
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Blown70

I own a convert.  I know not a mopar.  Its a 2000 Firebird Trans Am (ram air).  I love that thing on a nice day.  Top down.  There is nothing like it....  I do occasionlly think of selling but everytime I do..... I know I would not want to be with out.....

I say keep the charger if you can...... Don't sell unless you must.  This is from someone that DID......  She has a great home but I still miss the car.  I do have a 70 to toy with now  but I miss my Charger

Old Moparz

Okay, I read it wrong & thought you were thinking about selling a ragtop. By all means sell the hardtop to get a ragtop, unless you can swing both. But don't listen to me, I have way too many projects & don't sell anything.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

nuati2d

I've tried posting pics before but I can't get them small enough to post.   You've more than likely seen the car if you've watched the Speedvision's American Musclecar Charger episode or their Dodge-Chrysler's Go-Fast Division special - I was the triple-black '68 they featured in both (all footage shot for the earlier show and used in both).     Only the wheels are different now - came across an NOS set of American Racing Vectors which now roll on new Firestone Firehawks all around.  

I love the ol' Beast but I tellya - the vert bug's biting me pretty hard right about now.... Can't really afford 2 oldies comfortably, so would ultimately have to be a choice....     

Hey Steve!  would be cool to hook at Big Daddy's if I can get out there - keep me posted on the date!

Steve P.

Was just looking for the date.. I'm sure it will be in this months Mopar Muscle mag. and Action.

Normally right around Thanksgiving.  I'll find it when I get back. I've got to run right now... I just saw a 64' Polara rag top for sale for around 3-3200 bucks. I just can't remember where I saw it.. Maybe on the 62-65 site..  I'll have to look at that too...

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

cudaken

People here will think I am odd, but I am not a big Vert fan. I have had two and they are fun, but to me no more fun than any Mopar. Think what took the thrill away for verts is when I started riding bikes, that is a open road feel.

Just my 2 cents worth but I keep the Charger, buy a bike!

Cuda Ken
I am back

Blown70

iF YOU CANNOT HAVE BOTH keep THE CHARGER....  Dang caps lock :rotz:

Charger_Fan

If you can swing it financially, keep the Charger & snag a 'Vert.
If you can't swing it & sell the Charger, just remember that you're gonna really kick yourself later on...they always do. ;)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)