News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

is a non M/W 413 & push button 727 worth anything ?

Started by rav440, January 09, 2008, 05:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rav440

im thinking about getting a couple of 413s 64-65 one has a cracked block and the other was running when Pulled from a 64 POLARA about 15 years ago . both 413s are complete except fot the carbs . are the heads and internals woth keeping  :shruggy:  or are the 413s just a waste of time ? and is a push button 727 differnt from a regular 727 ?

thanks RANDY  :2thumbs:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Steve P.

The push button trans. IS different from the later model 727's. They use 2 cables to shift with one is for Park only and the other shifts r-n-d-2-1. Also there is a difference in the output shafts. The 64' will have a bolt on output yoke. Not a desirable tranny unless you are putting together a 64 or older car and want it to appear stock. The 65' will have a sliding yoke as the later models do and there is a percentage of people looking for these.   As far as internals and strength,  :shruggy: ,, John K could tell you more.

I have a small block 65' Tranny here and wouldn't mind one for a big block as I do own a 65' with a two cable console shifter.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

dukeboy_318

from what ive seen, only if you are building a year correct car or a nostagia racer, 413s are kinda hard to get parts for and they seem to wiegh a ton, coworkers has one from a 64 polara, its heavy, very, price wise they seem to run about 300 complete when i was looking at them a while back before i got my 400. as for keeping the heads, it wouldnt benefit you much seeing how they dont have the harden seats to run unleaded fuel either, interals arent worth keeping except for the crank. just my two cents :cheers:
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

rav440

Quote from: Steve P. on January 09, 2008, 05:36:28 PM
The push button trans. IS different from the later model 727's. They use 2 cables to shift with one is for Park only and the other shifts r-n-d-2-1. Also there is a difference in the output shafts. The 64' will have a bolt on output yoke. Not a desirable tranny unless you are putting together a 64 or older car and want it to appear stock. The 65' will have a sliding yoke as the later models do and there is a percentage of people looking for these.   As far as internals and strength,  :shruggy: ,, John K could tell you more.

I have a small block 65' Tranny here and wouldn't mind one for a big block as I do own a 65' with a two cable console shifter.

what is a sliding yoke ?  :shruggy: does anyone have a pic of these two types of push button tranny's . so i can tell what im looking at when i go to get this stuff .

thanks RANDY  :cheers:

Quote from: dukeboy_318 on January 09, 2008, 05:55:15 PM
from what ive seen, only if you are building a year correct car or a nostagia racer, 413s are kinda hard to get parts for and they seem to wiegh a ton, coworkers has one from a 64 polara, its heavy, very, price wise they seem to run about 300 complete when i was looking at them a while back before i got my 400. as for keeping the heads, it wouldnt benefit you much seeing how they dont have the harden seats to run unleaded fuel either, interals arent worth keeping except for the crank. just my two cents :cheers:

were the cranks STEEL or CAST in the 413s ? can they be used in a 440 ?  :shruggy:

Steve P.

If you look on the TRANS. end of your drive shaft you will see a sliding yoke attached by a U-Joint. The 64' will be bolted into the tail of the tranny.   99 of 100 people with the bolt in exchange them for a slider...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

rav440

Quote from: Steve P. on January 09, 2008, 06:18:48 PM
If you look on the TRANS. end of your drive shaft you will see a sliding yoke attached by a U-Joint. The 64' will be bolted into the tail of the tranny.   99 of 100 people with the bolt in exchange them for a slider...

gottya thanks  :cheers:

supserdave

The cranks are worth snagging, they both should be steel cranks, same as any other RB.

rav440

Quote from: supserdave on January 09, 2008, 08:19:21 PM
The cranks are worth snagging, they both should be steel cranks, same as any other RB.

do they have the same stroke or throw as a 440 crank ? or is it something you would use in a stroker motor ?  :shruggy:

dukeboy_318

i believe they are the same stroker, but dont quote me, the crank is about the only thing worth snaggin because most likely it is a steel crank, not a cast, it will interchange with a 440 crank, so if you do keep anything, make sure its the cranks.
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

Steve P.

I don't have a good answer for you. Only I have read that some are making 426 wedge motors from 413's.  I figure if you have the room to keep it, why not. You never know when someone will post a (WANTED 413"motor) thread.  (That will be in the auto parts wanted area of course)...   :D
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

supserdave

Yep, same stroke as a 440 and 426 wedge, just a smaller bore.

Bandit72

i have one i'm keeping around hoping to find a pre 65 polara or dart someday to put it in....
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

rav440

:2thumbs: thanks guys  :2thumbs: the owner told me about $100.00 - $200.00 for the 2 413s and the 64-65 push button .  :shruggy:

just so im clear a push button trans will have cables comming out of it ? no linkage what so ever , right ?

if anyone has a photo of a push button trans that would be great .

Steve P.

Randy, check your email... Pics. coming............  :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

rav440

Quote from: Steve P. on January 10, 2008, 08:34:07 PM
Randy, check your email... Pics. coming............  :2thumbs:

thanks STEVE , ill check in a bit  :cheers: :2thumbs:

:popcrn:

so do you guys think a $100.00 or so is a good price for the stuff or is that 2 much  :shruggy:

Steve P.

I would give $100.00 just for the tranny....  The rest is free treats..  :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

rav440

Quote from: Steve P. on January 10, 2008, 08:52:39 PM
I would give $100.00 just for the tranny....  The rest is free treats..  :2thumbs:

STEVE  :2thumbs: thanks  :cheers: ill keep an eye open for you Email  :2thumbs:

Steve P.

It should already be there. I sent it to your hotmail account posted in your profile.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

rav440

STEVE i got the Email thanks now i know exactly what to look for . got my fingures crossed  :2thumbs:

:2thumbs:

Steve P.

Cool.  Sorry the pics. are so bad.  Thanks for posting them ..  :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

Quote from: rav440 on January 09, 2008, 09:02:51 PM
Quote from: supserdave on January 09, 2008, 08:19:21 PM

do they have the same stroke or throw as a 440 crank ? or is it something you would use in a stroker motor ?  :shruggy:

Randy, the 413 cranks are the same as a 440 crank. They can be sold for $100 easy....any day of the week. These are also good candidates for lowdeck stroker builds....the popular 451 uses a stock stroke 440 crank with the mains turned down. The 470 stroker uses the same 440 crank with the rod journals offset ground and the mains turned down.  :icon_smile_big:

Someone wanting to build a cheap 451 stroker could use the stock crank & rods in a 400 block....all they would need is a set of pistons.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

rav440

cool thanks RON  :cheers:

is this what the 64 trans looks like  :shruggy: it looks like a cable shift with some crazy looking bolt up thing on the tail shaft . but this is out of a motor home  :scratchchin:

skyhawk61

That "thingie" on the end of that motor home Torqueflite appears to be (according to a photo published in Carl Monroe's book on A-727's) a "compounder" and is identified as a New Process A-345 unit.  It was bolted in place of the regular extension housing. According to the author, it was used on Dodge's medium truck chassis, and made the transmission a fully automatic four-speed unit.  The front half of the transmission is the same as a regular 727 Torqueflite. I can't remember ever seeing one, either on a truck or in the junkyard.

Steve P.

I am not a tranny guy, but that sure looks like a brake drum to me..  Is there a cable coming out of it also??

This is a good question for John Kunkel.. If John can't tell you, nobody can..  ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

skyhawk61

I took a closer look at the photo of your motor home Torqueflite.  It's hard from the angle of the photo to see exactly where the unit mounts to the main case.  If it's not a compounder, it might just be  a regular 3 speed unit with the parking brake mounted on the tailshaft..I've been told that some motor homes were equipped this way.  Sorry for the confusion.