News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine (318) question

Started by jaak, January 12, 2008, 11:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaak

hi all, I have a 72 Charger, with a 2bbl. 318, I have been messing around with (wanting to make a driver out of) When I bought it the engine was running rough, so I bought all the normal tune up stuff (ie, plugs, wires, etc.) and Changed over to electronic distributor (dist. came out of a 318 in a 76 Aspen)
well I fired the motor off had a leaky radiator, and motor was pretty much leaking oil all over. so I pulled the motor tore it apart, and it looked pretty good no real wear anywhere so I bought a gasket kit put the engine back together, had my radiator repaired, then put everything back in the car.
My problem is the car might run good, might not. Sometimes you crank it, it idles smooth, sounds good.  Then it will idle real high and a light blue smoke will start billowing out of the exhaust and will basically run like shit (it will die if you drop it in gear).When it does this the oil pressure drops REAL low, too.  I haven't had any work done to the heads I was thinking I might need to replace the valve seals.
Any one have this problem before? What do I need to start checking out now? Any opinions will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

Steve P.

Did you :

do a compression test before pulling the motor apart?

have any machine work done?

Re-ring it?

Bearings??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Chatt69chgr

That thing's probably got a bunch of emission stuff on it.  Might check the EGR system and PCV valve.  I would suspect a vacuum leak if the engine constantly idled fast.  But since it is OK sometimes, not sure about that.  Check the vacuum with a gauge when it runs good and see if it falls when it is not running good.  If you have power brakes, there is a check valve on the booster going straight to the intake manifold.  That might be bad.   The oil pressure thing is worrisome.  No oil pressure quickly means destroyed engine.  Is there a converter?  Is it OK?