News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VIN tag question

Started by 70ChargerSE, January 07, 2008, 07:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70ChargerSE

I have attached a pic of the VIN tag on my dash that I am starting to restore.  My question is what is the best way to go about "fixing" the rust that has gotten underneath the tag and all around?  I have read on here that most people do not recommend removing the tag for legal purposes.  However, by looking at the pic, you can see that it would not be easy to "fix" without removing it.  Is there an easier way or do I just remove it and try to find a new set of rivets?

Dave

Back N Black

You can remove the tag, there is a company out there that sells the rivets. If you do a search, there was a discussion on it earlier.  :cheers:

Edit: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,28336.0.html

gasoline_24

If you are going to remove the tag I would make sure you have the rivets first before removing.

lilwendal

Just an idea... What I've done in the past is with the dash frame removed... use a dremel or cut off wheel to cut an X in the back side of the rivit.
Then you can squeeze the cut line closed which will allow the rivits to come out.  Do your repaint of the frame.. reinstall the rivits then spread the X back open.  Works well for me.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: lilwendal on January 07, 2008, 09:32:26 PM
Just an idea... What I've done in the past is with the dash frame removed... use a dremel or cut off wheel to cut an X in the back side of the rivit.
Then you can squeeze the cut line closed which will allow the rivits to come out.  Do your repaint of the frame.. reinstall the rivits then spread the X back open.  Works well for me.

Nice tip! :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

kab69440

I used an one sixteenth-inch punch to knock the shank end out of the rivet tube and then used a pair of ChanneLock pliers to gently return the rivet to it's pre-expanded state. It takes a while, but it gets the job done. To reinstall, just use a shank from a hardware store 1/8" rivet.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

70ChargerSE

Thanks for the great tips!

Dave