News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mounting a fuel cell?

Started by 68chargerboy, January 06, 2008, 10:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chargerboy

how do u guys do urs?  can i get some pics too?

firefighter3931

Fuel cells are mounted in the trunk and held in place with straps.

Sorry, no pics.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

68chargerboy

so how do people go about using a 2 in drop sump?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 68chargerboy on January 06, 2008, 10:43:27 PM
so how do people go about using a 2 in drop sump?

A drop sump is welded to the gas tank....nothing to do with a fuel cell.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

68chargerboy

i was looking on jegs and they cell fuel cells with a drop sump,  do i need that?

Rolling_Thunder

yes or no...     most cells have a sump at the bottom as the lowest paint of the tank being the feed line...       occasionally a cell will have a vent tube as well as a feel line on the top of the cell - this prevents the need to  cut the trunk floor for the sump to pass through    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

firefighter3931

Quote from: 68chargerboy on January 06, 2008, 11:00:01 PM
i was looking on jegs and they cell fuel cells with a drop sump,  do i need that?

Most fuel cells have an outlet near the base of the cell and the return line up top. I suppose you could use a drop sump cell but that would mean cutting a hole in your trunk pan. Not sure i'd want to do that.

Can you post a link so i can see what you're asking about ?

Question ; Why are you wanting to run a fuel cell ? Why not a gas tank in the stock location ?

Ron

John_Kunkel

If you can't or don't want to cut through the trunk floor for the sump you can elevate the fuel cell above the trunk floor by mounting it on a frame made from square tubing.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

68chargerboy

i want to use a fuel cell because i need a 1/2 " sending unit.  im putting this on  my 66 monaco and they dont make large sending units for it.   i also dont care on this car wether its original or not.  its a street strip bruiser

Steve P.

You can always drop your tank. Clean it out. (Always a good thing anyway). drill a hole in the tank from the leading edge and make you own pick up out of tubing.  Then weld it in place and test with air for leaks.

This is what we just did on a buddies 66' Charger tank.  It works well..

Before drilling, grinding or welding, we removed the sending unit and stuck an old rad. hose from the exhaust of his truck to the inlet of the tank and ran the exhaust through the tank for a few minutes. This blows out the gas vapor and replaces it with spent exhaust. NO EXPLOSIONS.....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

BrianShaughnessy

Here's an example (My friend George's RR).    They're kind of a PITA for a street car IMHO.     

I thought that with a fuel cell you need to run a metal bulkhead...   So I googled and yes you do.
1.5 FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM
DELIVERY SYSTEM: Fuel cells, electric or mechanical fuel pumps, pressure regulators, and any line size permitted. Fuel pump must shut off with a master electrical switch. Stock gas tank (if used) must be retained in factory location. Modified fuel pickups & outlet permitted.

Aftermarket/fabricated fuel tank or cell permitted. Must be located in trunk area. If tank or fuel filler is inside trunk, a bulkhead of minimum .032" aluminum or .024" steel must be used between trunk and driver compartment, and tank must be vented to outside of car. When used, fuel cells must have a metal box protecting the part of the fuel cell that is outside the trunk floor. Non-metallic fuel cells or tanks must be grounded to frame. See NHRA General Regulations Section 1.5.

I found that bit here:  http://www.eldemoniorojo.com/nmcrules.htm      I'm sure there's other info sources,  this is just what came up first.

I think you could modify your stock pickup for what it's worth.    I've seen it done before.   :shruggy:     It's not my car  :Twocents:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

firefighter3931

Quote from: 68chargerboy on January 07, 2008, 10:00:38 PM
i want to use a fuel cell because i need a 1/2 " sending unit.  im putting this on  my 66 monaco and they dont make large sending units for it.   i also dont care on this car wether its original or not.  its a street strip bruiser

Just weld a sump onto a stock tank and use the factory sending unit for your fuel guage.  ;)

The cell will require you to open the trunk lid every tme you need fuel.   :P

If you've got your heart set on a fuel cell just buy a standard unit....no need for a deep sump cell. You will be using an electric fuel pump with this type of fuel delivery system anyway.  :yesnod:

Ron

crzyc68

I actually did put a 20 gal fuel cell in my 68 Charger.  I did cut a hole for the sump to fit through.  I will try to take pics today or this weeked and post them.

68chargerboy

thanks for the input guys.  also my factory sending unit doesnt work t measeure the fuel

racecharger

Hi!!

Here is how i monted my fuel cell!

I´ts a 69 charger streetrace car that I´m restoring

This is my first replie here, althouhg I have viewed this great site for a year now!

Steve P.

Looks great!!!   Welcome HOME.....   :cheers:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

BRS

Mancini sells 1/2 sending units. Not sure if it will work in your apllication but you might want to give them a call.

J-440

rickshotrodshop.com  will sell you a steel/aluminum tank with built in sump and fuel pump if you wish, trap doors, foam and baffling and will fit right into the stock location under the floor pan.  They will even provide the tank straps...all for around $800.  Check out their website.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

OttawaCharger

Here's a picture of a 68 here in Ottawa.  The guy built a sump into his stock tank and did a great job on it!
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!