News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger vs Challenger prices...

Started by marangen, October 04, 2005, 02:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marangen

What is happening to prices these days in the US? Post DoH but pre Barrett jackson...

In general flattish since spring or even so far this year?

Any opinion on Charger vs Challenger prices - R/Ts in particular...

Charger R/Ts all at least 440s whereas Challengers 383 upwards....

I ´m considering selling my Challenger R/T SE 1970 (383 but now 440+6 "clone") - but wonder if I should wait till after Barrett Jackson!

Any thoughts?

Martin ^-^

RD

my thoughts are:

1) i understand you want to get top dollar for your vehicle

2) i hate b-j auctions because it is nothing but an overinflated testosterone based cock fight between those that have more money than they know what to do with, continually trying to outdo one another so they can be on tv and have a nice car at the same time.

3) hope you get what you want for your car.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

ChargerSG

Quote from: RD on October 04, 2005, 02:30:54 PM
my thoughts are:

1) i understand you want to get top dollar for your vehicle

2) i hate b-j auctions because it is nothing but an overinflated testosterone based cock fight between those that have more money than they know what to do with, continually trying to outdo one another so they can be on tv and have a nice car at the same time.

3) hope you get what you want for your car.

:iagree: couldent said it better myself....
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

marangen

OK OK - delete the b-j part of the question....

should have known!

so - whats happening with real world prices?

M

THE CHARGER PUNK

chargers are big $$$ but the charger was from 1966-1974 the challengers are also big $$$ but were only a 4 year deal so take a guess which is going to be worth more $$$-MATT

p.s. its the challengers(hehe)

RD

challengers will always pull higher dollar due to the "E" Body syndrome. 

I do not foresee the E body amount dying anytime soon, especially since the base model e bodies are riding on the hemi e bodies coattails.

I personally think that in 15-20 years, you will be able to buy a hemi ebody for 20,000 or less.  I take this from the examples of the duesenbergs and such in the early 80's going for millions of bux, but now they only go for 50K if you are lucky.  The prices of these cars are strictly generational, and when this generation dies off, so will the prices of the cars.  I would sell your car within 5 years in order to get max profit.

I find it funny because Chargers ride a helluva lot better than them anyways.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

ChargerSG

When i bought mine Charger and Challengers i got the Challengers much cheaper, i bought my 70 Charger 500 $12k and 70 Challenger SE $8k.

MichaelRW

The old price guide shows Challengers at about $10,000 to $12,000 less than for a comparable Charger model. The exception being TA's and convertibles. But, of course, there are no Charger's comparable to TA's and converts.

Eventhough there are less Challengers than Chargers, supply and demand also comes into play here. I don't think the demand for Challengers is nearly as strong as for Chargers.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

cudaken

Best thing to do is search on E-bay and see what they are selling for. With luck, you might get a drunken bidding war between people with money.

Cuda Ken, been there and done that.
I am back

Ghoste

I do some part time work for an automotive auction house and there was one a couple of weeks ago in the Detroit area.
In a nutshell, the cars were NOT selling or even bidding close to the owners reserves.   The bidding part is the key.   There was a very nice survivor 68 Hemi Road Runner there with 18000 miles on it and no reserve.   It sold at 86 large.   Another guy had a 68 Hemi Road Runner clone that was very well done and in extremely good shape but his reserve was 100 large and he took it home.   High bid was 55.   70 Charger RT/SE well optioned extremely clean car out of Fla was no sale when bidding stopped at 35.   It did sell later for much more than that though.   Many of the sellers were dumbfounded and the common refrain was "But I saw one on TV at Barrett-Jackson..."   The common refrain among buyers was, "These guys are watching too much Barrett-Jackson".
In short, fuel prices are high, two natural disasters just struck the Gulf states and the US is at war.   It's a buyers market but the sellers haven't quite realized it yet.   Just my opinion though.

69charger2002

i agree, really is a buyer's market as of late to me.. by the way, comparable, i also agree that model for model a charger is much more desirable than a similar challenger, but mainly 68-70 chargers compared to 70-74 challengers. now throw cudas into the mix, and that is a little different. cudas do much better than challengers, and personally i favor cudas a lot more too
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

morepower

technically challengers went past 74 and so did chargers
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

ChargerSG

41husk

Most people dont count the Mitsubishi Challenger or the cordoba or omni Charger and lets not even get back to the 06,  But I agree with the above we need to seperate by generation.  The 2nd gen is commanding higher prices but 1st and 3rds are on the rise.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

triple_green

Last few years...Chargers appreciating 10% per year. Challengers more like 15-20%.

Barrett-Jackson gets top dollar for rare show cars. Clones have been getting acceptance in the last year or two, even at B-J. I have observed that unless it is a show car or very near, most cars do as well on Ebay in Mar-May as they do at B-J and the selling costs are a lot less.

Fall is the worst time of the year to sell a car if you want top dollar. Prices are typically 10% or more lower than in the spring. This is because a lot of people finance cars or don't want to have their money tied up for 6-8 months before they can really drive the car much. You will get more money for your car if you wait until spring on Ebay.

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Ghoste

Agreed, but if prices ar right and the market is strong, you will see dealers buying in the fall in order to take advantage of any speculative price rises.   I'm not seeing the dealers do that.   The prices are too high or they are too skittish but either way, it means the same thing.   The bubble may not have burst, but I think it's stalled for the moment.

69charger2002

yep, i think so too. i listed a great 68 charger project on ebay, TWICE, and this last time it ended for 2025.. my reserve was only 3500. this is for a car that has solid frame rails, and is pretty much complete.. 2025?? yeah prices are down
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/