News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just was is numbers matching and how do you ID the numbers?

Started by 69 rt, October 04, 2005, 09:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 rt

Hello,

I am rather new to Muscle cars, but I am restoring what I believe to be a numbers matching 69RT 440. I have the thing apart and I want to check all numbers, where do I check to make sure my numbers match my car, and what numbers should I check. I know you all can smarten me up, come on CB you can help.

Thanks

Blown70

Cars have the following.

On the passender side of the block there is a ground off area that has the last digits of the cars dash number stamped I think its 7 or 8  total.

They are also on the trasmission.   Dep. on std or auto.   But they will also be stamped.

Those ## will be on the drivers side Rad support, drivers trunk rail, You usually have to remove the trunk gasket and scrape to see them.

I think I got them all....

Example:   if it is a true RT it will start   XS29L9B   The L is the engine,, L means 440 mag, the 9 is the year   the B (not even sure if that is one) but that is where the car was built.  The last numbers are the serial number of the car.

The fender tag on the drivers side will have all the options that were ordered with the car.

Blown 70

OHH ALSO THE FENDER TAG on the bottom line will have the entire Dash number on it.

hope that helps.

69charger2002

on the motor there are usually 8. it will be 9B or 9G, followed by the last 6 digits of your VIN. if those last 6 match the vin on your windshield, it's your #'s matching motor, all fishy stuff aside.. everything else is exactly what blown 70 said
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

69 rt

Thanks for the help,

The sad part of the story is the fender tag is missing but I do have the build sheet that I found behind the rear seat.

69 rt

Blown70

Quote from: 69 rt on October 04, 2005, 09:46:41 PM
Thanks for the help,

The sad part of the story is the fender tag is missing but I do have the build sheet that I found behind the rear seat.

69 rt

Heck that is great as long as you have that.

Ohh and on the side of the engine,,, they are on the side of the oil rail or just above where the pan bolts on.

69 rt

Thanks alot,

I had to go check and am happy to report the numbers on both the engine and tranny match my build sheet numbers.

69 rt

Blown70

:2thumbs:

Good to hear.  I assume they also match the dash tag?  Or else you will be  :flame:

Brock Samson

lucky you got the right buildsheet as I've read they threw all the cushions in a pile and picked them up only by color to reinstal, after painting or whatever,.. anyone got confermation of that story?..

Brock Samson

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Just 6T9 CHGR

Have you registered her yet?

www.1969chargerregistry.com
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69 rt

CB,
No not yet, will send you some pictures of her soon.

hemigeno

Quote from: Stratocharger on October 04, 2005, 10:38:17 PM
lucky you got the right buildsheet as I've read they threw all the cushions in a pile and picked them up only by color to reinstal, after painting or whatever,.. anyone got confermation of that story?..

I don't know a lot about the LA plant, but the majority of build sheets were put in the correct cars.   The seats came down their "side" supply line in sequential order to how the cars were coming down the main assembly line, so they should have mated up with the correct car.   Of course, a foul-up could always end up putting the wrong seats in a car - and some plants may have been worse than others in that regard.

They also may have pulled the seats out if they had to do an interior repair at the factory, I suppose.   Almost all paint work was done by the time the interiors were installed, since the cars went through high-temp baking ovens to cure the paint job.   If they did a paint repair at the end of the assembly line they used a low-temp oven that didn't require the workers to remove the interiors or any plastic trim.

The mismatches you're referring to happend a lot with 69 Charger 500's and Daytonas.   The cars were built at Hamtramck, and probably had their correct build sheets in them.   Creative Industries workers were the ones who removed the rear seats to install the rear window plug.   Thats when the seats were tossed into a pile, while they were working on several cars.   When they went to reinstall the seats, they did not try to match up the broadcast sheets with the cars - a black interior car got a black seat pulled from the pile.   For 500's and Daytonas, you were more likely to get the correct broadcast sheet if you had an interior color besides black.   They didn't try and remove build sheets from the other locations they have been found in, but the most common location is behind the springs of the rear seats.