News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GM vs Mopar Crate Engines

Started by Rolling_Thunder, January 03, 2008, 07:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowprofile

Quote from: hemihead on January 04, 2008, 05:16:28 PM
Quote from: Lowprofile on January 04, 2008, 04:54:45 PM
No truth there, Just your beliefs.  :eyes: :icon_smile_wink:
Then why own a Mopar if GM is sooo much better. Should just sell it and buy a Chevy.  :2thumbs:

I never said they were better. You just dislike GM. On any given day, You could match up any Mopar from the musclecar era to any GM [or Ford] product from the same era on a drag strip and you would win as many as you lost. They are all very different, yet very much the same in the way they go about filling their purpose in life. Brute Power, Speed, Classic styling.......Mopar , although having many beautiful designs, does not own all of them......

The crate motors GM sells are great deals . As originally stated, you get a lot of bang for your car restoration/upgrade/replacement dollar.  It wasn't all that long ago that we in the Mopar community only dreamed of having the opportunity to buy a crate motor, let alone a Hemi. And now we can, and that's a great thing.

All I'm saying is give respect and credit where it is due..... :cheers:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

derailed

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on January 04, 2008, 06:49:06 PM
Quote from: derailed on January 04, 2008, 06:33:23 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on January 04, 2008, 02:34:28 PM
Quote from: derailed on January 04, 2008, 03:57:55 AM
To bad Pontiacs are in the same boat as Mopars, maybe even a little more pricey.

I don't know dude. If you put a Chevy/GM crate motor on a Pontiac, you're at still keeping it "within the family". To us it's no big deal to take a motor out of a Plymouth and drop it into a Dodge, or vice versa.
Sounds logical but try telling that to a die hard or any Pontiac guy. Pontiac and Cheby are completely different motors. Ive seen some kickass Pontiacs run at the track and its always cool to see one dust off Joe camaro with his big block chevy.

This is a guy I know in w seattle got this early 60's Tempest, 2600 pounds, put a 455 big block built in it, ran like a 10.07 first time out, no nos, wasn't a crate, built himself basically. Before that he kept putting 455's in a big boat car with nitros to get in tens, but kept blowing up the engines, heh, 

:2thumbs:  Early 60s Lemans make great drag cars. Pontiac blocks are easily good to 500 horespower. Like any other factory block they have there week points like needing lifter bore braces. I would love to find a 64 someday and build a nice drag car. I think Lowpro put it well, out of the big 3 I dont think theres one manufacturer out there that runs any faster or last any longer than the other. I have a friend running a 39 Ford pickup with a 383 chevy that he drives to the track and runs 11.50s all day long everytime he goes and then drives home. Its all personal opinion.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: hemihead on January 04, 2008, 04:25:49 PM
Maybe GM sells more crate engines because they don't last as long as a Mopar Engine .

Then why would the GM crate have a nice warranty where as the Mopar crate leaves you holding your dick if it breaks ?   I'm just playing devil's advocate on this one...   I mean everything for a mopar is more expensive, we know this...    it is a supply and demand kinda thing - but still - the 502 does appear to be a better product doesn't it ?   I own mopars - but sometimes you just cant beat another brand's finer points...    GM's are available, cost effective, and overall a great engine line up...     Mopars have an edge on styling and not as common as the GMs but...    in the end...    GMs have some fine points just like Mopars do...     i was just stirring the pot and pointing out how much more cost effective GMs are and say "why cant Mopar make a better crate for the money" ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

tan top

:yesnod: true i have often  thought  that , seems a shame that all the stuff looks good in a parts catalogue but compared to ...  although i hate to say it gm , quality & power is down ,  :Ritz:  plus cost more dough to Begin with ..... :'(  ..........  no wonder there is so many strong chebbies out there ,  come on MOPAR get your act togeather .   more  attention to quality & detail  MP stuff or now DC , would be a awesome source of hardwere .......................   :Twocents: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemihead

Maybe GM needs a better warranty , ever think of that ? A warranty doesn't make it a better product . Sorry but I will never understand why someone buys a Mopar then bitches about everything Mopar , then turns around and brags about how great their Mopar is .
You say the Mopar engine is down on power . Who's rating are you going by ? The advertised ratings or have you personally dynoed one ?
  Ever tear apart a 350 Chevy with 75,000 miles on it ? Talk about a sludge pump . And if you are worried about breaking a Mopar , you must be a Chevy guy because they are used to breaking things when they run them hard .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

tan top

Hmmmm ......well  (Hemihead) only going by advertised power ratings , i know that they can be far from accurate or some creative marketing , but just looking at the comparisons  manufacture to manufacture is all , & the price .........  :yesnod:  not had personal experience with any crate motors , or even chebbies come to that  :scratchchin:   but to me take the mopar  RB 500 ci wedge it says it is rated at 505 hp .... i know it is built for reliability but seems a bit low for a 500ci , :shruggy:  just my  :Twocents: ......................... :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemihead

Maybe the GM boat anchor is wayyyy overrated ?
  Led Zeppelin

Troy

The Chevy is still more complete and even includes a full fuel injection system. Is the Mopar engine really worth that much more? Any real racer would build his own engines so these crates are going into street driven cars that will likely never see 10,000 miles. I personally don't know anyone who has had a problem with the GM crates and haven't really heard of many problems with the Mopar RB crates. I wouldn't buy either since I can't see spending $10k on an engine for occasional street usage. I can tell you that the GM guys can get their cars done a lot cheaper (and faster) which might explain why there are more on the road instead of in a million pieces in the garage. Really, who wants to spend a gazillion dollars on a car that may have more power or may go a bit faster but takes three times as long to finish? I like the Mopars that I have because of their looks and "coolness" factor and if they go fast it's just a bonus. I don't race any of them though. A stock engine is more than enough for me but, if I were missing the drive train, I'd consider a crate just for the convenience. Unfortunately, on the Mopar side it makes more sense to have a reputable shop build one. Based on their history with the Hemis who'd want to buy an engine that you have to immediately tear down and rebuild (with no warranty)?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: hemihead on January 05, 2008, 06:31:53 AM
Sorry but I will never understand why someone buys a Mopar then bitches about everything Mopar , then turns around and brags about how great their Mopar is . You say the Mopar engine is down on power . Who's rating are you going by ? The advertised ratings or have you personally dynoed one ?  Ever tear apart a 350 Chevy with 75,000 miles on it ? Talk about a sludge pump . And if you are worried about breaking a Mopar , you must be a Chevy guy because they are used to breaking things when they run them hard .

I am not bitching about everything mopar - i am simply showing the difference in cost of two crate engines. And my mopar is not great - neither of them. 

As for the ratings...   I am using THEIR ratings...   why would they advertise their crates at a lower HP level than they are making ?  There is no logical reason.

I have torn apart many 350s in my day and (just like any mopar small block) there are sludge engines and ones that are clean...    it depends on they way theyr are maintined with things like oil changes.

I don't worry about breaking things - I've broken plenty of things....    Ever blow a 440+6 Superbird engine ? Ever pull donuts in a numbers matching superbird?  Ever run a 440 to 8500 rpms? Ever put 500 tq through an aluminum case 833 ?     If things break I fix them. Thats my job...   but Don't think for a second Mopars are impervious to breakage...   My boss's 440 is a testament to that...   things break...    no matter what brand.

By the way - what GM do you drive?

hemihead

I don't own a GM and as you noticed , I' m not the one waving the Bowtie banner here . I just think that if a person doesn't like a product they should stop complaining about it and just go where they think they can get the best deal . Don't like Mopar quality, warranties , or product ? Then go buy a GM . I build my own engines myself. I have never even considered buying a Crate engine . I've abused plenty of Mopars in the last 30 years . So you beat on a Superbird , congrats ! And I bet that 440 + 6 took more abuse than a GM would . I just don't think you should bash Mopar when you own one and consider yourself a " Mopar Guy "
  Led Zeppelin

SeattleCharger

doesn't seem the debate is about if mopars are good or not, just about the price on crate engines and how much you get for the money with each deal in terms of the list of parts and warranty,  the mopar one costs a lot more, that is the point,

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: hemihead on January 05, 2008, 06:58:08 PM
I don't own a GM and as you noticed , I' m not the one waving the Bowtie banner here . I just think that if a person doesn't like a product they should stop complaining about it and just go where they think they can get the best deal . Don't like Mopar quality, warranties , or product ? Then go buy a GM . I build my own engines myself. I have never even considered buying a Crate engine . I've abused plenty of Mopars in the last 30 years . So you beat on a Superbird , congrats ! And I bet that 440 + 6 took more abuse than a GM would . I just don't think you should bash Mopar when you own one and consider yourself a " Mopar Guy "

I'm not "bashing" anything - merely pointing out that GM crates are great deals and was wondering why mopar can't offer a comparable crate for the price....     

I build my own engines as well - including customer engines unless they want something different or a specific crate engine.

and you should really take some of your own advice as it seems you do not own a GM so why are you so opposed to them ?  I mean you seem to be 100% against anything GM and take personal offense to mere innocent facts - I do consider myself a "Mopar Guy" - thats why I own two - but I have also owned a 72 nova and a 66 chevelle...     I don't see why one should have such a brand loyalty -  I have owned and/or worked on GM, Ford, and Mopars -  They all have their good points and their downfalls - thats the truth...   

I am not waving the bowtie banner - merely asking again why Mopar can not be competative in the crate engine market...   I have gotten several good reasons - thats all...     let us not let this digress into a "my make of car is better because....." thread because that can be debated to the end of time. 

Duey

...sheer volume of sales will drive the price point for comparable quality levels.  Chebbie has always been much cheaper, I suppose....must be their crappy rod ratio!  :lol:
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

hemihead

Look at it this way . Mopars are worth more than a Chevy , right ? Just because of lower production numbers . Well , Mopar parts are more expensive because they sell less . And yes I hate anything GM . I'm a throwback to a time when brand loyalty meant alot . Sorry I can't be a wishy - washy ,  I'll drive anything guy . Sometimes in life you have to stand for and with something . And sometimes you stand alone and not just because it's the popular thing .
  Led Zeppelin

bull

Quote from: hemihead on January 05, 2008, 06:58:08 PM
Don't like Mopar quality, warranties , or product ? Then go buy a GM.

I'm not really looking to enter the fray here but I do have something to say about this statement. I just think it's a shame that we have to put up with this in our hobby. Granted, we don't enjoy the luxury of mass-production but I get tired of being told "sorry, you own a Mopar so it's going to cost you." I know all about the supply/demand arguments and how the people producing this stuff often have to hedge their bets in order to make money. Still I can't help but think if there was more availability at decent prices there would be more purchases and more purchases would increase production and product options in many areas. Instead we get overpriced products and then those who produce it wonder why the stuff isn't selling. Well, it's because I can buy a 440 for $700 and take it to a shop to have it rebuilt and oversee the process for less money and get more hp than what Mopar Performance offers. It's definitely not rocket science.

Troy

Quote from: hemihead on January 06, 2008, 07:05:53 AM
Look at it this way . Mopars are worth more than a Chevy , right ? Just because of lower production numbers . Well , Mopar parts are more expensive because they sell less . And yes I hate anything GM . I'm a throwback to a time when brand loyalty meant alot . Sorry I can't be a wishy - washy ,  I'll drive anything guy . Sometimes in life you have to stand for and with something . And sometimes you stand alone and not just because it's the popular thing .
Not all Mopars are worth more than all Chevys (and vice versa). We've discussed on several occasions how low production/rarity doesn't always equate to more money. If you're talking Hemi cars you might have an argument but most of us aren't lucky enough to own one (or sell one). Lots of guys are working on base model or 383 cars and the finished values are comparable to a Mustang (or the actual Ford competition - Torino), GTO, or Chevelle. If the Mopar ends up worth a few thousand more it still doesn't make up for the several thousand more that it costs to build. This hobby is expensive no matter what you're building though. If it's a rusty pile it's going to cost a LOT - no matter what badge it's wearing.

Just because you hate GM doesn't make it a bad deal - or a good deal in the case of the Mopar. I think brand loyalty is part of what got the US automobile industry into the current mess they are in. It's nice when you don't actually have to make a quality product in order to sell it. It also doesn't mean that a person can't raise their expectations. What's wrong with saying "hey, I've supported your company since I was a teenager and I expect more"? The old saying "necessity is the mother of invention" applies since Chrysler wouldn't be compelled to do better unless the competition forced them to. I am thankful that Chrysler has finally committed some resources to the restoration parts market - although their licensing often feels more like a money grabbing scheme. Who cares? I can at least get parts and keep my car on the road without sifting through piles of rusty junk while my car is stuck in the garage.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Tarzan

So you would advice me not to buy a 500 WEDGE MOPAR ENGINE?

I decided to buy one but if its not a good deal, I will probably wont get one.

It wont work if I have power brakes?

What should I then get for my 69 charger?

RD

Quote from: Tarzan on June 11, 2008, 07:35:56 AM
So you would advice me not to buy a 500 WEDGE MOPAR ENGINE?

I decided to buy one but if its not a good deal, I will probably wont get one.

What should I then get for my 69 charger?

he is not saying the engine is bad, its the PACKAGE in comparison to the Chevy Crate Engine that he is referring to.

The purchase of a crate engine for you is based upon your resources and abilities.  If you do not want to worry about tearing down a block, machining, and reassembling it, then a crate engine may be the best answer for you (and you have the $$$ to do it)... BUT if you have some mechanical ability and enjoy the dissassembly and reassembly of an engine, then maybe finding a block and getting everything redone may be in your best interest (it might even be cheaper too!).
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Tarzan

I just heard that its a very long waitinglist to get a mopar engine.

What else could I do? 500 wedge is the engine that I want or is it cheaper to get one built??

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Tarzan on June 11, 2008, 07:35:56 AM

Vacuum pump conveniently placed somewhere will cure your power brake issues.

Bobs69

Quote from: RallyeMike on January 03, 2008, 11:07:16 PM
Maybe it's we who have our heads up our asses and we should all buy Chevy's ?.

:moon:
Exactly what I've been asking myself for quite awhile now!  GM (Generic Motors) guys have it a lot easier (cheaper) to build and enjoy their cars.  If we thought with our heads and not our hearts we'd drive chevs.  I dive one everyday.............

Maybe we are sentimental suckers with a lot of passion!

Bobs69

Quote from: AKcharger on January 04, 2008, 12:13:24 AM
I'm actually suprised that we haven't seen more Chevy engines in MOPAR bodies...it's coming

Fu** Off!  You can't do that!  You can't!.  It's just not right.  That's like converting my charger to a front wheel drive from an intrepid!
(Just joking I don't know you to tell you off!)

But if Chrysler and GM merge...............it'll all be the same!

WingCharger

Think of the AMC guys. :'(

You guys are complaining about not having good crate engines, and AMC guys barely have intakes or headers for their engines. :rotz:
I do agree ma mopar is pretty stupid when it comes to crates. BUT, Chevy crates are made from original tooling, and mopar engine tooling (ie. Hemi) is long gone. :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Even worse, a lot of AMC cars are ending up Chevy powered, because of the lack of repo engine and performance parts. :icon_smile_angry: :icon_smile_angry: :icon_smile_angry: :RantExplode: :RantExplode: