News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got my radio back from S&M!

Started by badack, January 01, 2008, 08:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badack

I sent out my 69 charger thumbwheel am radio to Greg at S&M electric. He converted it to am/fm with a jack for an mp3 player. It really is pretty freekin cool! 45 wats at each of four speakers, it retains the original power plug-in and it sounds great. He also sells this replacement dash speaker which contains two 4 inch speakers in a thick plastic plate. I was preparing to hack speakers into my doors but it doesn't really need it now. 
steve

Ghoste

lilwendal

How much$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$??????????????????
What was the turn time????????????????????

badack

Pictures, it didn't need any cosmetic work although he replaced my cracked lens with one he had I don't know if he does re-facing but that parts is easy to swap out. PCG said they will be making the decal soon. The cost was $410 with the mp3 jack and the front speakers were $69. He said it would take 4-5 weeks but I paid an extra 50 and had it in a week. The only thing that looks different is a small led in the corner of the dial indicating am/fm. I figured I would spend 300-400 on a new radio and it would look terrible.

Ghoste

Shakey

I also had Greg do my AM the same way he did yours badack.  I also have the dual speaker in the dash.

Ghoste, if you look at Reply # 31 in the link, you'll see a photo of my speaker installed.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,30688.30.html

The jack for the mp3 player is wired right into the radio and simply hangs out from under the dash.  I plan on running an extension so it can come up through my console.

Ghoste

Thanks Shakey.  That's a slick looking setup and I like the idea of adding the mp3 player in there.  Makes all of those hidden cd players (or not so hidden) a little obsolete.

bull

Cool! I've asked around about this a few times but never got any answers until now. I think Shakey and I discussed it here at one point but I didn't know he got somehwere with it. Hmmm. Sure beats restoring the old AM and buying a new system and trying to make them work together. So how do you use FM when you only have an AM radio? Is there a switch? And how do you guys wire in the system to a stock harness? And, last but not least, does Greg have a website?

badack

Bull the website is www.turnswitch.com The radio comes on in FM, to swith to AM you just turn it off, then on again, and your in AM and the little LED light changes color. The power harness is the same but you need to run new speaker wires. My car had a secret audio radio when I bought it and it just stunk. :coolgleamA:

Shakey

Attached is the info they sent with my radio.

bull

All right. Thanks a bunch, guys!