News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I'm 17 and I just got my first project car, a 72' Charger. What do you think?

Started by shaner33, October 04, 2005, 05:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgecharger-fan

QuoteRe: I'm 17 and I just got my first project car, a 72' Charger. What do you think?

I think you're a lucky 17 year old!!!

Looks like a good start there. If the mechanicals are all good, I'd start with the little things that will make it nice to drive - carpet, seat covers up front ? (even if it's just some generic slip-on covers for now.), that kind of stuff...

It looks like you've got a perfect candidate for a drive it while you restore it project.

Fix the rust issues as best you can and cover everything back up with primer and flat black as you go along.

Then, you can build up your stash of parts for the big restoration - meaning when you're ready for paint, be ready to do all of the other things that you want to do while it's torn down for painting - chrome the bumpers if you want/need it, polish trim, repair/replace emblems, light lenses, have the engine checked top to bottom while it's out of the car, repair/update it as requiree/desired etc..

In your case, it doesn't look like it HAS to happen all at once, but sit and think about it (and ask here) and you'll find that there will be some things that are just easier to do when stuff is already off of the car.

Of course, all of this really depends on how far you want to take the restoration. To figure that out you need to ask yourself what the car is for and what it deserves. It sounds like you want to drive it, so a nut and bolt 100 point resto would be silly unless the car is something really special in realation to other MOPARs out there. From what you've said, it's already been changed up a bit by previous owners, so that gives you full license to do whatever you want with it - just don't do this:

?  ?:icon_smile_big:

cudaken

What was the factory color? Floor pans look Hemi Orange in the PIC's. By the way, good score and it does have floor pan's! ;D My self, with the interior being the strong point I would start there. Got to live the ralley dash.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Stormhammer

Straight Up

you started out RIGHT - I was 16 when I got my '72 ( I'm 18 now ) but it needed and still needs body work... lol its hard to find the parts body wise  :yesnod:

I'm jealous  :icon_smile_wink:

sandmbmx88

Quote from: Stormhammer on October 06, 2005, 11:13:23 AM
Straight Up

you started out RIGHT - I was 16 when I got my '72 ( I'm 18 now ) but it needed and still needs body work... lol its hard to find the parts body wise   :yesnod:

I'm jealous   :icon_smile_wink:

I 2nd that I was 16 when i got my 73. I wish i wouldve started with a car that was a little further along.  Im 18 now and i have a shed full of old parts.

RD

nice car to start with, really nice.  NUPE - not an SE, look at the taillights, they are argent painted not chrome.

love the white interior, but the steering wheel being medium gold has thrown me off a little.

the charger script on the deck lid is kinda weird.  can you take a pic of the fender mounted signal indicators?  just curious.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask, there are alot of 3rd gen nutz on this board like me.

good show!
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722