News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need a cheaper daily driver, will a bug cost me my mancard??

Started by JR, December 28, 2007, 08:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

Just curious to hear what you guys think. I need to start saving money every way I can so I can go back to school and be halfway sucessfull while I'm still single with no kids.

My current daily driver is an 03 Mustang 6 cylinder that gets 23mpg, but the insurance costs 117 bucks a month with my perfect record for full coverage. I got it one year ago thru a car dealer, so I still owe on it.

I've been looking at all sorts of vehicles that would be cheaper. I've really been eyeing Accord coupes and Civics, and small trucks. But the thing is, most midsize cars and little trucks are not much cheaper , and get the same MPG. When it comes to disposable new cars, I have no brand preference what so ever, so long as it's reliable.

I got quoted a price on insurance for a new beetle yesterday, and it was 89 bucks a month. Which is like 525 every 6 months versus the 706 every six months I pay now. The gas version gets 33 mpg and the diesel gets 50. As girly as they are, I'm thinking it could really help having a much cheaper car.  I don't care to hot rod my daily transportation. It just has to be reliable. That's why I bought the Moosetang, so I wouldn't be tempted to mess with it.

So basically, I'm asking. would YOU do it? Trade in a Mustang on a Beetle? It kinda feels dirty being a gearhead to say that, but I'm never going to get my career straight and school done if I don't start saving every penny I can. Working two jobs only gets me two thousand a month. That's nothing, and I'm really tiring of working for bills and not for myself. I'm 24 so I want to start a good career now, not this just above min wage working for other people crap.

And just so I get to keep my mancard, heres' a random pic of my Charger that I need the gas $$$ for.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

TruckDriver

In my opinion............................................................................... :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: More so than a mini van even :slap:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

JR

Hehe, I kinda expected that. But then again, name me a new car just as cheap to operate with as cheap insurance. I'm all ears. :scope:

TK73

VW has one of the highest repair costs over time, stick with Toyota or Honda. 
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

NYCMille

Hey man... I have a silver 2006 Honda Accord with 16+++ on it. 4-cylinder that gets 24mpg around town and about 32-34 hwy - it's listed here if your interested.

https://www.swapalease.com/VehicleSearch/VehicleDtlL.asp?VehicleID=360141

69chargeryeehaa

In 2001 i bought a 2001 New Beetle Sport 1.8T (limited edition, 5spd), and i hate to say i LOVE that car.  I also had a 2002 mustang GT, and that beetle would be right next to my mustang with my wife driving it!!!!   I've only had a very few minor problems with the car, basically nothing except for regular maintenance.  One thing i can say about vw's, they are built very well, fit and finish is very high, I've had this car for 6+years and it still feels like the day we got it, tight, no rattles, handles awesome.  They are very safe, and actually parts are very cheap for the cars, they are very easy to work on.  Mind you this is my wife's car, when i drive it, i love it.  If i were you, I'd get the diesel, mainly for the amazing gas millage, or if you want FAST get the turbo, this thing is a total blast to drive.  The 2.0L is also a very good reliable bullet proof motor.

PocketThunder

Quote from: 69chargeryeehaa on December 28, 2007, 10:02:43 AM
In 2001 i bought a 2001 New Beetle Sport 1.8T (limited edition, 5spd), and i hate to say i LOVE that car.  I also had a 2002 mustang GT, and that beetle would be right next to my mustang with my wife driving it!!!!   I've only had a very few minor problems with the car, basically nothing except for regular maintenance.  One thing i can say about vw's, they are built very well, fit and finish is very high, I've had this car for 6+years and it still feels like the day we got it, tight, no rattles, handles awesome.  They are very safe, and actually parts are very cheap for the cars, they are very easy to work on.  Mind you this is my wife's car, when i drive it, i love it.  If i were you, I'd get the diesel, mainly for the amazing gas millage, or if you want FAST get the turbo, this thing is a total blast to drive.  The 2.0L is also a very good reliable bullet proof motor.

Nothing wrong with a guy driving a bettle bug, and if you are getting a new bettle then you will have a warranty to cover the high repair costs.  I would get the diesel 5-speed for sure.  You have the Charger for going Fast, get the diesel for fuel mileage and resale value  :Twocents:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Shakey

Quote from: JR on December 28, 2007, 09:18:10 AM
Hehe, I kinda expected that. But then again, name me a new car just as cheap to operate with as cheap insurance. I'm all ears. :scope:

Since you're the one thinking of a new car, why don't you do the research and share it with us!   :shruggy:

As far as my  :Twocents: - a VW bug is a girl's car, not a woman's car, a girl's car!

If you do buy one, don't be surprised if that every time a car passes you you get the horndog male in the passing car looking over to see how hot the chick is driving the bug!

In the end, do what you want and buy what you want.   :cheers:

Orange_Crush

If I were you, I would either keep the Mustang and just drive that, or, sell the Mustang and pay off the lean and then buy an early nineties Honda CRX HF which will give you mileage DEEP into the forties and won't cost you an arm and a leg in payments or repair costs...and look pretty cool as well.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

JR

I should mention that I'm not after a brand new car if I get rid of the Mustang, something like a 2000-04. I like the Mustang, but the insurance is killer. I can afford it, but it would help alot having a cheaper car.

I like the GM fwd cars, Gran Prixs, Monte Carlos, etc, but there isn't enough drop in insurance to justify the hassle.

I don't really want anything older than that, I live 30 miles from work and drive way too much to have an older car. The newest I had before this was an 89 Nissan, it was nice, but there's more chance of the older car breaking or leaving me stranded. I don't mind the payments for the reliabilty.

Todd Wilson

Get a Diesel Bug and drive it until it quits with your 30 mile commute it would be a good vehicle for that.

Todd

Old Moparz

Before I bought my '04 Dodge Ram, I contemplated keeping my '95 F-150 to continue towing with, & find something else for a daily driver. At the time, I looked at various vehicles to replace my '94 Pathfinder, but in the long run, I decided to replace the tow vehicle instead. I had seen a NYC dealership advertising brand new, base model, PT Cruisers for $9995 with standard shift, & no A/C. I'd have opted to at least get the A/C & still have an inexpensive vehicle. I started to research the PT some more & found that it had a very good reliability rating. I'd bet the insurance on them isn't as high as comparable vehicles.

One of my friends got his wife a PT convertible last spring, but I haven't talked to him lately to see how they like it, or how it's held up. I'd still like to consider one for myself in the near future, but I also wouldn't mind the new Challenger with a 6 cylinder in a few years. I'm lucky enough that I don't live far from work, only 3.5 miles, & I that have a gas allowance, so MPG doesn't come into play as much for me as it used to. Like you said though, you have the Charger to go fast in, & I have other cars to play around with myself, so one car that's basic transportation is a big plus. It's not expensive to maintain, gets good MPG, & you don't have to worry about it 24/7.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

skip68

Well I have to say that a VW is not exactly a manly car.  :rotz:  Just look at all the commercials and the men in them. Not exactly manly. :rotz:  :rotz: If you are a Metrosexual (A softer modern man) it will be fine.  :smilielol: But since you're asking this question I'm guessing that you are a manly man.  :2thumbs: I have kids so I've done the mini van and it doesn't bother me a bit.  I'm secure with myself and I'd drive anything, but I WON'T drive a VW...  :nono: :nono: :nono:  :Twocents: I will be shopping for a new car in 6 months or so for the wife. I just picked up a 98 KIA that gets 35+mpg  :o and I will probably keep it and I'll use it to run around in.  I do feel more manly in my Ford diesel but it IS NOT the best choice for around town. ( millage, parking )   Chuck...........
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

leeandgrant

I am at that age in life where I really dont care what people think of my daily driver. ::) If a VW floats your boat then more power to you. My wife and I just bought a 2008 stripped down no frills Dodge Caliber. We only have 500 miles on it. I do not mind driving it. I thought it would be kinda small for me, but with the drivers seat all the way back I can not reach the pedals and I am six foot tall. No room for the sucker sitting behind me though. We got ours with a 1.8 four banger and a five speed manual trans. Have not filled the gas tank yet, so I can not give you any MPG but the window sticker says 28 city 34 highway. The other thing I like about it is DODGE'S lifetime powertrain warranty. As long as the title stays in your name, 25 years from now you drop a rod they drop in a new engine or make the neccassary repairs. :yesnod: Oh, final price was 16k. Not bad for a daily driver. And the car is quiet with out any of those dealer tag ons of undercoating sealing or crap like that. Well, those are my  :Twocents:
1968 318 Charger
1969 440 General Lee
1970 440/4speed Super Bee clone Project
1968 383 Charger project
1969 charger parts car
1977 Plymouth Trailduster
2003 Dodge Hemi Ram
2009 Dodge Charger Super Bee SRT
2000 Dodge dually diesel

PocketThunder

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 28, 2007, 12:33:07 PM
Before I bought my '04 Dodge Ram, I contemplated keeping my '95 F-150 to continue towing with, & find something else for a daily driver. At the time, I looked at various vehicles to replace my '94 Pathfinder, but in the long run, I decided to replace the tow vehicle instead. I had seen a NYC dealership advertising brand new, base model, PT Cruisers for $9995 with standard shift, & no A/C. I'd have opted to at least get the A/C & still have an inexpensive vehicle. I started to research the PT some more & found that it had a very good reliability rating. I'd bet the insurance on them isn't as high as comparable vehicles.

One of my friends got his wife a PT convertible last spring, but I haven't talked to him lately to see how they like it, or how it's held up. I'd still like to consider one for myself in the near future, but I also wouldn't mind the new Challenger with a 6 cylinder in a few years. I'm lucky enough that I don't live far from work, only 3.5 miles, & I that have a gas allowance, so MPG doesn't come into play as much for me as it used to. Like you said though, you have the Charger to go fast in, & I have other cars to play around with myself, so one car that's basic transportation is a big plus. It's not expensive to maintain, gets good MPG, & you don't have to worry about it 24/7.

FYI: Buying a PT cruiser is your willing admittance into the over the hill club.  A PT cruiser is the new old man Buick.  But hey, you would look cool driving one Bob. :2thumbs:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

charger_mike75

You might want to check on how much you owe on the mustang because the car lot will add that on top of the price of the new beetle and the monthly payment could be higher. Then you may or may not be saving any cash at all. been there and done that. just my  :Twocents:

dukeboy_318

in my opinion, no it wont make you loose youre manily hood, heck it actually boosed it, reason being is simple, how many guys would drive a bug, not many, for the same reason you are asking about, but imagine some punk kid giving you a hard time one day and the next weekend you pull into the gas station with that charger, than he'll shut up.  so my opinion is to drive what you want regardless of what others think, if it gets you from point a to point b and back safely, go for it  :Twocents: :cheers:
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

69chargeryeehaa

i guess i'm an old school metrosexual, cause i roll this all the time (74 beetle):  :rotz: :hah: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :D :shruggy:

My wife mainly drives the 2001 beetle sport turbo 1.8T, but i occasionally drive it.  Like i said in my last post the turbo rocks, with my wife driving the beetle, and me driving my 2002 mustang gt, that bug is right next to me.  When i do drive the beetle, and pull up to a V8 mustang, ect....i LOVE how they look at me and laugh, and then I walk them with a freekin New beetle.   :lol: :smilielol:  that my friends is priceless.  Make no mistake the 1.8T's are FAST.  My name is Martin, and i guess i'm a metrosexual.   :smilielol: :smilielol: the first step is admitting you have a problem i guess  :eek2: .  I don't get also why people associate the VW with high repair costs, so far i've only had a few small issues with our 2001 bug, i broke the window regulator in a ice storm ($60), arm rest handle broke ($2), someone stole the front emblem ($9), coolant temperature sensor ($6), and i had a flat tire.  :lol:  all bought from the steelership.  And we've owned this car since new, it has so far been bullet proof reliable.  Everyone knocks the vw's but seriously if you've ever owned one, they are very high quality cars, and to be honest, in the last 7 or so years since I've had it and been driving it, I've never noticed anyone lookin at me funny.  Actually if it weren't such a girl car I'd drive it myself.

in the background you can see our 2001 beetle sport:

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Todd Wilson

Quote from: charger_mike75 on December 28, 2007, 02:55:53 PM
You might want to check on how much you owe on the mustang because the car lot will add that on top of the price of the new beetle and the monthly payment could be higher. Then you may or may not be saving any cash at all. been there and done that. just my  :Twocents:

Only if you let the dealership screw you!!!!

Todd

1969chargerrtse

Love American cars, but Honda (Acura) and Toyota (Lexus) build the best cars, just ask consumer Reports. :2thumbs:    Our weather man on t.v makes it known he is gay, he drives a beetle.  :nana:

Awesome charger, the Yellow is very ......... Pretty. :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:   ( Sorry, couldn't help myself)

Seriously, I re read your first thread, and good for you, you have a good head on your shoulder, and are doing the right thing.  I think the beetle thing will always make you uncomfortable, look for other car options that get great gas mileage, there are plenty out there, good Luck. :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

JR

Thanks for the advice guys, the number one thing here is cheap and reliable. The more money I save here, the quicker I can go back to school, start my own business, and get on with a sucessfull life, instead of this one where I'm working for the man never to get ahead.

The 03 Mustang I have now has been very reliable. I put 35k miles on it in just over a year and a half. I don't drive as much now. It is a very nice good looking car, but it's not saving much. 23 mpg is decent, but not considering what others are getting. The nice thing about a late model disposable car is I don't worry about theft, doordings, or anything. I don't care if its stolen, insurance will take care of it.  My plan would be to drive it til the wheels fell off if the insurance wasn't so bad. I'm 24 with a perfect record. NO tickets at all.

The Beetle seems to be a quality car that's reliable with very cheap insurance. And it's got personality. It's way cooler than some Aveo or Metro. I like the idea there. I see the Jetta diesels get 50 mpg too, I may have to look there.

I also just drove(for a delvery NOT joyriding) a customers 03 Hyundai Tiburon 4cyl auto. What a fun little car. He said it gets 32-35 mpg. It looks nice too. I doubt insurance will be as cheap, and it could get tiring driving such a small car.

1969chargerrtse

Years ago when I was in the car business, we would say, wanna double the value of your Hyundai?  Fill the gas tank. :smilielol:  Amazing, today it's the opposite.  Hyundai's are rated almost number 1 in reliability.  There are many models to choose from , I would look for a nice mid to high mileage model.  Good idea.  :2thumbs:  I was  self employed, it's very very expensive and hard to be successful on your own. Getting a good education is 100% the correct direction, but there are many big corps that pay well, and Insure you, don't pass up those options.  Good Luck.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

last426

Quote from: JR on December 28, 2007, 08:59:14 AM
So basically, I'm asking. would YOU do it? Trade in a Mustang on a Beetle? It kinda feels dirty being a gearhead to say that, but I'm never going to get my career straight and school done if I don't start saving every penny I can. Working two jobs only gets me two thousand a month. That's nothing, and I'm really tiring of working for bills and not for myself. I'm 24 so I want to start a good career now, not this just above min wage working for other people crap.

I would approach it from a different perspective.  First, your insurance rates change dramatically at 25.  Second, there is no reason whatsoever to buy a new car.  Get a decent old one so you don't have to pay for collision insurance -- pay less than 5,000 (if me I would pay a lot less).  Look at the total price of the car, not the monthly cost when comparing cars.  Lastly, don't entangle your sexuality with your car.  If it runs out of gas it can be too much of a disappointment and sometimes it gets too slippery to open the door.  Check out my cheap hemi atwww.marlia.com. Kim

A383Wing

I drive an '88 Dodge Shadow 4dr...... doesn't bother me..... would like to get a Mini Cooper....can't afford it....  :brickwall:

Bryan