News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

adjusting the shifter/synchro

Started by hemi68charger, December 27, 2007, 11:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
I've never had to do it before, but can I adjust the shifter synchro's with the tranny/shifter still in the car? I'm having problems with random's instances of trouble putting the car into any gear once stopped at, say a red light or stop sign. I'm going to try and trouble shoot the shifter / linkage first, but know there's an adjustment rod I need for the shifter. Can this be done while with everything in place? I'm working on my '69 Dodge Charger 500 with a console 4-speed...

Thanks..
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

You can adjust the shifter an dlinkage with everything installed.  In fact, that's the correct way to do it.  As for getting it into gear from a stop, I'm not aware of any adjustment you can do to your synchro's, are you sure the clutch is releasing far enough?

hemi68charger

Quote from: Ghoste on December 27, 2007, 11:09:11 AM
You can adjust the shifter an dlinkage with everything installed.  In fact, that's the correct way to do it.  As for getting it into gear from a stop, I'm not aware of any adjustment you can do to your synchro's, are you sure the clutch is releasing far enough?

If the linkage isn't correct, wouldn't that cause the gear levers not to be where they need to be? Also, if the clutch was misadjusted, would it work fine when driving? I guess since I'll be under there, I could check the clutch adjustment as well..

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

Either or both can do it but it's quite a while since I had a four speed car so my memory could be lying to me.

Mick70RR

The shifter can be adjusted on the car. Remove the shifter rods from the levers on the tranny and with the shifter in neutral feed a 1/4" drill through the three levers on the shifter. You may have to use a short drill or a short lenght of 1/4" rod to clear the tunnel. When the drill is in position adjust the length of the shifter rods to fit nicely on the levers and refit them.
I don't think this will make it any easier to find first gear from neutral but it does make reverse easier to find. I sometimes have trouble getting into first when the tranny is warm but I just live with it.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads