News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

any idea what this piece is or does?

Started by tomdroptop, December 26, 2007, 07:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomdroptop

Pulled my rear window out of my 69 & I see the usual rusted out clips that hold the chrome trim BUT I also what looked like to be a noticed a larger "clip"
I am wondering if maybe this is just a way the factory was able to have the rear window sit up in the correct position or maybe it was/is for something else?
Any info would be helpful. Thanks...
Heres a pic:
The clip is located in the lower left of this pic (close up in next pic)

squeakfinder

Came across something like that on my 68. I figured the same as you did, that its there to help support the glass for installation.

When I put in a new dutchman panel from Charger Specialties I didn't bother replacing that piece. The butyl tape seem to hold the glass without it. Sorry I can't tell you the exact name of it.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

tomdroptop

Thanks Rots really wasnt lookin for a name more-so what you told me is what I was lookin to find out. Thanks for your reply!
Tom

Dave22443

Agreed.  The rear glass is glued in and lacks the rubber seal that the front window has.  Thats a "Window Alignment Brace" that keeps the glass from sliding down and touching the body as the glue sets.  My guess is, if the glass was glued in against the body metal, it would be prone to breakage when the car flexed.

Don't know this for a fact, but it sounds logical to me  :D

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

NorwayCharger

Quote from: Dave22443 on December 26, 2007, 10:46:46 PM
Agreed.  The rear glass is glued in and lacks the rubber seal that the front window has.  Thats a "Window Alignment Brace" that keeps the glass from sliding down and touching the body as the glue sets.  My guess is, if the glass was glued in against the body metal, it would be prone to breakage when the car flexed.

Don't know this for a fact, but it sounds logical to me  :D

I had my rear window glued in with 2k glue.
I am not sure i would have done this if i had not stiffen up the car with things like subframes etc.
In modern cars the front and rear glass is part of the strukture of the car.

AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

tomdroptop

Makes sense to me Dave
I figured that some of you guys would have gone through this at some point with your cars & thats why I asked.
IU was told elsewhere that I should make sure that put in the trim as soon as I glue the rear window back in also because it would be a bear if I waited til it dried. That was bonus info for me & good info also.

john108

I just pulled the rear window out of my '68 charger.  On the left and right sides of the glass, mid-way from top-to-bottom was a small shim to center the glass side-to-side.  On the bottom, about 6 inches on either side of the center clip, was a bracket about twice the width of a trim clip.  It had two tabs, one on each side of the attaching screw, that appear to support the bottom of the glass and did not attach to the trim.
Mine came apart in pieces so I don't have a picture.
John