News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

833 23 spline tranny

Started by Bandit72, December 25, 2007, 01:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit72

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-CUDA-CHALLENGER-PISTOL-GRIP-4-SPEED-CONVERSION_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33733QQihZ021QQitemZ310009249421QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

has anyone bought anything from this guy? What else would i need if i bought this kit?

How much power will a good 833 23 spline tranny hold before breaking stuff? I'm toying with the idea of putting one behind the 471 stroker i'm putting in my charger.
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Troy

Obviously you'll need a clutch...

He doesn't mention the flywheel but there's one in the pictures. I am not incredibly familiar with 3rd gen cars but you'll likely need some of the wiring (neutral safety switch?). I think you need the z-bar bracket (goes on the frame rail and holds the end of the z-bar opposite of the bell housing). You'll need a shifter boot as well.

As for whether it will handle the power, I'd probably look for an 18 spline if you're going all out with a stroker. The 23 spline should be able to handle a mild 440 - especially if you don't race with slicks - but a stout stroker motor is a whole new ball game. As long as the tires are spinning there's not much to worry about but as soon as you hook up stuff starts to break. I also think his price is a bit high for what you're getting but maybe I haven't looked at enough late B and E body stuff.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

Passon can convert an 833 23-spline 4 speed to an overdrive 18-spline unit for a reasonable price. See the last post here.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,35972.0.html

Troy

Just to put that in perspective, the OD kit is nearly the same price as this entire conversion (and he'd have to buy the trans first any way). Passon also carries every part needed for the conversion but the cost is more than double this auction as well. With the cases and tail shafts being the same I don't think it'd be hard to convert to a non-OD 18 spline either. Lots of choices but none are really inexpensive. I have one of each - plus a 5-speed - but no running car.... :(

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

If he's worried about it being weak I'm just saying there are ways to convert a 23-spline trans to an 18-spline. Of course it's pretty typical that when you start playing with big horsepower it's going to cost you $$$ to reinforce the whole drive train so it will handle it. However, regardless of the cost involved in whatever direction he goes, I would think a 23-spline transmission would hold up fine.

Runner

i just converted my 68 over to a 4 speed. it cost right at 2k for everything in cluding rebiulding the tranny. everything but the bellhousing tranny and pedals were new and i was given a scatter shield so i didint have to buy that.   youll also need new carpet.   if your a smart shopper you can beat this guys price with nicer stuff.     i bought stuff from brewers and passion, and anything that was mopar performance that i bought i got from manicotti.

the crazy thing about these swaps is, a guy would think once he had the pedals, tranny and bell housing he was about done spending money but that just isnt the case.     id definatly do the swap if i was you. one of the best things ive ever done to a car.     my understanding is, clutch selection goes along way into tranny longevity.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six