News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trans pan question

Started by mikesbbody, December 24, 2007, 08:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikesbbody

i have a question about the 727 transmission pan depth. I have a 727, shift kitted with the standard pan what's the advantage going to a deeper pan? of course more fluid is one thing but anything else? i ask this because i can buy one from someone i know but if i dont need it i wont (the sump plug is another plus) if i do buy it what does it mean for me just more fluid? or is there more to it?  have a great xmas everyone  :2thumbs:

RD

more fluid is a plus, but it will also help with keeping the trans cooler (though I do not have any real evidence in the actual temperature change).  a negative is when you change your filter.. more fluid to buy :D

*edit... do you need it?  probably not.  just like anything.. matters on what you primarily use your car for.*
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

A383Wing

Yea, basically more fluid, maybe only a couple of quarts or so....biggest disadvantage I see is that it will be closer to the ground....better chance of hitting it now and poking a hole in it with something while driving. Drain plug is nice, but not that big of deal. Some will say better cooling, but if that is what you are after, get a remote cooler.

My 2 cents here.....consider the source....

Bryan  (have a Merry Christmas back at ya)

Just 6T9 CHGR

I run the MP pan....doesn't hang low at all IMHO
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

I have the deeper pan too and it's still a looong way from hitting anything on the ground and getting a hole poked in it.  The extra capacity does help with cooling the fluid and although it may or may not be very much, sometimes a couple of degrees are all you need.  I've also heard people say that the shallow depth of the stock 727 pan is a disadvantage because it can let the pickup suck air but I'm not sure how much faith I put in that.  I can certainly see how it can happen if you let the level get down but it seems to me like that could happen just as easily with the deep pan.
I have to say also that the drain plug is more than nice IMO, but it depends how often you change your fluid and how much hassle do you want when you do it.

mikesbbody

Quote from: RD on December 24, 2007, 08:29:17 PM
more fluid is a plus, but it will also help with keeping the trans cooler (though I do not have any real evidence in the actual temperature change).  a negative is when you change your filter.. more fluid to buy :D

*edit... do you need it?  probably not.  just like anything.. matters on what you primarily use your car for.*
thanks everyone  :2thumbs: do i need it? well...not really but i thought the drain plug was a plus and, since my cars a non numbers car im not worried about such things. I also have a chromed oil sump and this trans pan is chromed where as my old one is not (thought it might look alittle nicer)

mikesbbody

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on December 24, 2007, 09:19:30 PM
I run the MP pan....doesn't hang low at all IMHO
WOW! thats so clean you could eat your xmas dinner off that!