News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

is my 440 DECKED or just taller pistons

Started by rav440, December 24, 2007, 12:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rav440

:shruggy:

is my 440 decked ? or are the pistons just taller . i thought factory deck height was around .080 in the hole to the piston . the original owner who had the 440 rebuilt at 50K miles said the was no major machine work done to it . but ive been told by someone else that it was milled about .060 .. whats it look like to you ?

thanks RANDY
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

firefighter3931

Randy,

It could be a combination of both....taller slugs and decking. The only way to know for sure would be to pull it apart and measure. I'm not sure that it would be worth the effort though...those pistons look to be very close to flush. Have you measured to see what the actual measurement is ?

The 2355 speedpro 6-pack replacements usually sit ~.020 below deck (stock block @ 10.72) and those pistons look like the Speedpro/TRW replacements which have 4 eyebrows.  :scope: Those pistons cave a compression height of 2.065, FYI.  ;) Assuming that your pistons are the 6-pack replacements then there is no way the block could have been decked .060 because they would be sticking out of the hole.  :Twocents:

Many shops will square up the decks during the rebuild but not necessarily take off more than they need to unless the engine is being blueprinted for a specific deckheight. Sometimes the decks are just resurfaced and cleaned up....

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

rav440

:cheers: thanks RON  :cheers: thats just about where they are at .020 .  :2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Well, that's good news then Randy....i would keep it as is.  :2thumbs:

Were you worried about something specificly ? Intake manifold alignment ? Pushrod length ?

Based on those pics there's nothing i see to be concerned about.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

rav440

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 24, 2007, 01:29:07 PM
Well, that's good news then Randy....i would keep it as is.  :2thumbs:

Were you worried about something specificly ? Intake manifold alignment ? Pushrod length ?

Based on those pics there's nothing i see to be concerned about.  ;)

Ron

yep , tring to keep the build cost down . im either going with a set of #346 heads with a mild port job and 2.14 1.81 valves that were done 10 years ago nad never put on the 383 but im rethinking that coz they may need new springs after sitting that long with the tenssion never backed off . or the 440SOURSE aliminum heads  :drool5:
i just didnt want to get into machine work to match stuff up . but it looks like im good now .  :2thumbs: