News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seat Belt Question

Started by dillon14, December 21, 2007, 04:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dillon14

I would like to clean up my seat belts. Is there a way to take them apart without ruining them? Also, any suggestions on cleaning/washing the belts themselves?  They are the belts from a 69 Charger and it says PONTONIER  300-1 on the bottom. One more question, the belts are green now. Can they be dyed red? Thanks

1970 Dodge Coronet R/T 426 Hemi 4-Speed 1 of 4
1969 Boss 429
1968 Shelby GT-500KR 4-Speed Convertible

keepat

I used Spray Nine to clean the seat belts on my car. Just sprayed them down then used a scrub brush, wash off and hang them to dry! Note polish the chrome first! Sorry not sure about dyeing them.
Pat

dillon14

1969 Boss 429

DC_1

A friend of mine thru his in the washing machine(minus the hardware) They came out nice.

dillon14

Quote from: Sydmoe on December 22, 2007, 06:41:09 PM
A friend of mine thru his in the washing machine(minus the hardware) They came out nice.

How do you remove the hardware?

1969 Boss 429

DC_1

actually I stand correct. I called him today and he said he thru them in with a load of towels hardware and all.

Ghoste

I've heard of someone else doing that before but I can't imagine the freak out Mrs. Ghoste would have if she ever caught me doing it.  :angel:

bull

Quote from: Sydmoe on December 23, 2007, 12:12:54 PM
actually I stand correct. I called him today and he said he thru them in with a load of towels hardware and all.

Jeez, did he have to leave the house for a couple hours? I couldn't stand to listen to that for very long. Hopefully he didn't put them in the dryer afterward. :image_294343:

Chatt69chgr

You can't take them apart.  But what I did was to just use some lukewarm water in a pail with some soap and scrubbed them with a little hand scrubbing brush.  They cleaned up very nicely.  You need to quickly dry them to prevent rusting of the metal parts.  I used my compressed air gun and then put them in the house over a hot air duct in the dining room.  Perfectly dry the next morning.  Then I went to work with a mototool and some other little files, sandpaper, and steel wool on the buckles.  I was careful to not mess up the embossed metal.  I used clear fingernail polish, some silver model paint and then some black paint for the buckles.  I tested different blacks to get the right degree of gloss. 

I left out the part about redying some of them.  Some were faded so I used RIT dye on those.  They now look new.  Need to do that before doing the buckle work as it will mess up the paint.

I have had reservations about the strength of the webbing due to the age.  Have considered ordering some webbing and redoing the driver and passenger lap belts at a minimum.  You would have to get a local upholstery shop to do the sewing.  You can get the webbing from Krusin Moons.

DC_1

Jeez, did he have to leave the house for a couple hours? I couldn't stand to listen to that for very long. Hopefully he didn't put them in the dryer afterward. :image_29434

Thats what I thought also. He said they didn't make much noise in the washer and was only worried about them tangling up the agitator. Thats why he thru in some towels. Now the dryer.......that he didn't do and that would definitely make some noise

Just 6T9 CHGR

I have read that you can take them apart by prying out one side of the "buttons"....not sure where though...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

I let mine dry on the line outside after I didn't do them in the washer.

NMike

how do you restore the elastic part? my shoulder belts droop real low and need to have the elastic bits replaced.

Ghoste

I think you have to replace it.