News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bad Day Yesterday

Started by TeeWJay426, December 23, 2007, 11:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeeWJay426

I've had a Cover-It storage shelter since 1994 that has housed several of my cars over the years. Never had a problem with it in any New England winters..... until yesterday. Looked out my back window, and the first pic is what I saw. Apparently with all the heavy wet snow we had in our last storm, combined with the cold snap that followed, there was just too much weight on it to hold it anymore.... about the only thing that kept it from collapsing to the ground was my '67 R/T ragtop, unfortunately.... :brickwall:
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

69bronzeT5

We had a huge storm at the very beginning of December and the roof over our garage isnt too good and there was atleast 3 feet of snow on it. Anyways, I went up on the roof and cleaned off all the snow above the garage :icon_smile_big:.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

TeeWJay426

The resulting aftermath below.... looks like both top bows will need to be replaced, and the right side frame is bowed downward... not sure if it's salvageable or not. And of course, there were a couple punctures in the top as well......  :-\

69bronzeT5

OUCH! :o. How old is that top? :shruggy:

Ghoste

Man that sucks and that's an understatement for sure.  It's such a damned nice car too but on the plus side, it could have been a LOT worse.

TeeWJay426

It was probably about 5 years old.... was in great shape, though. Looks like I'm gonna have to think about building a real garage now.... after I have the 'vert repaired, anyway...

C_stripes

Quote from: Ghoste on December 23, 2007, 11:11:28 PM
Man that sucks and that's an understatement for sure.  It's such a damned nice car too but on the plus side, it could have been a LOT worse.

Yep.  This is whats left of a Jamaica Blue 69 440 4spd dana N96 GTX that was in a garage that colapsed due to snow in 2005. It also crushed a 67 GTX and a 72 Swinger. But these three cars sacrificed their lifes to save a 70 coronet R/T and a 68 Road Runner 383 4spd.   It was a very sad day.  I have pics of the shed on my computer at home.  I will try to remember to post them on christmas.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

bull

Well, that's a crappy deal. Looks like the type of structure you'd really want to keep the snow cleared off of but if it's falling faster than you can shovel...

69bronzeT5

Quote from: C_stripes on December 23, 2007, 11:22:28 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on December 23, 2007, 11:11:28 PM

Yep.  This is whats left of a Jamaica Blue 69 440 4spd dana N96 GTX that was in a garage that colapsed due to snow in 2005. It also crushed a 67 GTX and a 72 Swinger. But these three cars sacrificed their lifes to save a 70 coronet R/T and a 68 Road Runner 383 4spd.   It was a very sad day.  I have pics of the shed on my computer at home.  I will try to remember to post them on christmas.

Have I used that pic yet Jeremy??

When I move, I plan on making my garage nice. I cant do anything to my current garage because we're gonna move in Spring probally so theres no point on doing anything to it. When/if we move, I plan on making the garage at the new house really nice. Deffintley wanna do a checkered floor, paint the walls, get a nice workbench and tons of space. If theres no garage, a steel building will be going up! :2thumbs:

hemihead

I feel for you my Mopar brother . I have lived with this for 6 years. Luckily all I have to do every spring is replace pipe and tarps . Besides collapses from snow , we get some real high winds that tear up my tarps. So far my Charger has not been hurt.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

JoeyGowdy

Sincerely, Joey Paul Gowdy

BrianShaughnessy

Don't be afraid to call up your insurance company for any damages.    Some of the old locals shared a decent sized soft garage for a few years until last year when it collapsed.   One got a full paint job on his 67 Firebird for his troubles.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

1969chargerrtse

That does suck, but my outlook is always, don't touch the paint, don't touch the paint.  I would call insurance also, good Luck. :'(
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

suntech

Oh crap!! Sad to see. But..................look at it from the bright side, you were really lucky that none of the frame tubes broke!!! then you had been much worse off.
But not a pleasant way to start Christmas.
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

BMOTOXSTAR

Oh no.
It will be my first year using a storgae shelter like that for my Satellite. :o :o :o :o :o
The NE Ohio winters can get bad, uh oh. :-\
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

whitehatspecial

That sucks and I know nothing can make it better right now. But in the future, if it were me I wouldn't use fix that shelter and use it again...the arch style is stronger and the snow slides off.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

plum500

Damn that sucks. I hate surprises like that - and can relate to the concern of a work/storage area when it comes to that.

Could have been a lot worse as far as the car is concerned though. You'll be able to get that fixed a lot easier than replacing the space I would think. Hopefully insurance will help you out though. Stay positive cool and good luck.

rav440

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on December 24, 2007, 06:18:17 AM
Don't be afraid to call up your insurance company for any damages.    Some of the old locals shared a decent sized soft garage for a few years until last year when it collapsed.   One got a full paint job on his 67 Firebird for his troubles.   

im suprised an insurance co would even cover that damage  :shruggy: my insurance co. requires a secured garage . im not sure a SOFT garage would quilfy as such .
sorry to hear about your damage , i hate to say it , but housing $40K + worth of cars in a cheap $1000.00 or so garage doesnt make much sence to me .  :scratchchin:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

nh_mopar_fan

Damn that sucks.

Whatever you do, if you look for a shop in the area to do the work, avoid Superior Interiors in Hooksett.....

Old Moparz

Wow, that collapse really sucks.  :o  Others are right though, it could have been worse. I'd definitely check with the insurance, it can't hurt.

Quote from: whitehatspecial on December 24, 2007, 09:20:15 AM
That sucks and I know nothing can make it better right now. But in the future, if it were me I wouldn't use fix that shelter and use it again...the arch style is stronger and the snow slides off.

I agree, the arch is much stronger & it's the same shelter that I had too. I never had any problems over the many years it was up, but I also never let any more than 6 to 8 inches of snow accumulate before I would clear it off. Even a friend I gave it to after building my garage used it for several years without trouble.

I think one of the biggest problems with the portable garages, is when they are erected & the tarp material isn't stretched tightly over the metal frame. It allows for a lot more sagging & in turn, leaves more of a "well" between each support for more snow to build up. I had mine pulled tight, almost like a drum, & also had it set level & square to keep the frame rigid.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

TruckDriver

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on December 24, 2007, 06:18:17 AM
Don't be afraid to call up your insurance company for any damages.
:iagree:

That really sucks :pity:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Just 6T9 CHGR

Oh man thats pretty scary...I got this cheapie $60 thing covering the Mustang...I just bought the enclosure kit as well.....Im wondering if I should even bother parking the car under/in it now.
The couple of inches of snow we had already really bowed in the tarp between the supports until I cleared it off

I wonder if I lower it down some (take out one of the poles in height) it would have less chance of collapsing?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69chargerboy

Ohhhh! I'm cryin for ya man!!!! That hurrts my heart to see that.... :bawling: :rant: :pullinghair:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

69_500

What are you doing buying a mustang Chris? Ah man, my views of you are fading fast. JK.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on December 24, 2007, 10:37:51 AM
Oh man thats pretty scary...I got this cheapie $60 thing covering the Mustang...I just bought the enclosure kit as well.....Im wondering if I should even bother parking the car under/in it now.
The couple of inches of snow we had already really bowed in the tarp between the supports until I cleared it off

I wonder if I lower it down some (take out one of the poles in height) it would have less chance of collapsing?

Chris, the one I had, had a lot more supports between the front & rear. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable using yours with a snow load on it, seems more like something for shade in the sun.   :Twocents:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus