News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

dynomax vs magnaflow

Started by 69chargerR/T, December 23, 2007, 08:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerR/T

I was going to put dynomax ultra flo mufflers on my 69 charger to replace the very loud and droning flow master super 40s that I have now. But the other day I had to bring a car to a exhaust shop to replace a cat, so I asked the guy who owns the shop how the dynomax mufflers are he said they were junk and don't last! He said the magnaflows are much better and last longer.I was surprised he said that because I've herd good things about dynomax ultra/flo's on this site and others!! So I'm asking you guys  what you think about the two mufflers, what one is better. Also what one sounds better,I've herd the magnaflows are a little quieter than the dynomax utra/flo's. I want to get rid of the droning I have at cruising speed that the flowmasters have so I can hear the stereo!!!! Any ideas will be great.

Thanks, Alan

Ghoste

I prefer the Dynomax but either one will be a big improvement over your Flowmasters IMO.  Is there a chance your muffler guy enjoys a higher profit margin on one over the other?

dukeboy_318

i had the dynomaxs on my 78 powerwagon, honestly they seem to last fine but i only had them on for about 18 months before i switched out to straight pipes, i just didnt like the sound of the dynomax, yes they didnt drone like a 40 series, but they made the sound of a V8 bubblebee, i think they would be better on a ricer not an american v8, i like the magnaflows much better, gonna run those on my charger.  just my 2 cents
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

69chargerR/T

Quote from: Ghoste on December 23, 2007, 09:49:48 PM
I prefer the Dynomax but either one will be a big improvement over your Flowmasters IMO.  Is there a chance your muffler guy enjoys a higher profit margin on one over the other?

Ghoste, I did notice that he had some magnaflow poster adds on the wall of the waiting room! Thats why I wanted to ask you guys what you think of the two mufflers :2thumbs: You guys always give great advice :2thumbs:

Thanks, Alan 

Lifsgrt

Alan, I have 3" Dynomax mufflers on my car.  Running through stock manifolds and a TTI H-pipe system, there not loud but with 3" stock-looking tips straight out the back, there's still some resonation through the body of the car.  For what it's worth.  Merry Christmas
Best time 11.07@121

69chargerR/T

Quote from: Lifsgrt on December 23, 2007, 10:04:54 PM
Alan, I have 3" Dynomax mufflers on my car.  Running through stock manifolds and a TTI H-pipe system, there not loud but with 3" stock-looking tips straight out the back, there's still some resonation through the body of the car.  For what it's worth.  Merry Christmas

Lifsgrt, I have hooker comp headers and 3" flowmaster exhaust with super40's and stock type 3" tips, and it resonates or drones inside the car a lot at cruising speeds :brickwall: If I could cut the resonation in half I would be happy, I don't care if its loud at WOT :2thumbs:

Thanks, Alan

PS: and merry Christmas to you all so 

deputycrawford

OK, I'm going to post this again. Changing the mufflers will not get rid of the drone. Installing an "X" pipe will. Have your muffler shop put and "X" pipe in line of your system and drive the car. You will poop yourself. The drone will be almost COMPLETELY gone. The exhaust pulses will touch each other at the "X" cancelling the tone. At the same time the exhaust pulse will choose which pipe is the path of least resistance. You will gain, noticeable torque and lose almost every bit of the drone you speak of. When you are finished with your ear to ear grin, get the Dynomax you speak of. They are allot cheaper and mine have worked well for 4 years now. "H" pipes are not nearly as effective at cancelling sound as the "X" pipes.

Trust me Grasshopper. I know this works.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Ghoste

Now if you could just tell me how to get rid of those annoying ricers with their boompa-boom gangsta bass thumping around town.  :yesnod:

firefighter3931

Quote from: deputycrawford on December 26, 2007, 05:01:42 PM
OK, I'm going to post this again. Changing the mufflers will not get rid of the drone. Installing an "X" pipe will. Have your muffler shop put and "X" pipe in line of your system and drive the car. You will poop yourself. The drone will be almost COMPLETELY gone. The exhaust pulses will touch each other at the "X" cancelling the tone. At the same time the exhaust pulse will choose which pipe is the path of least resistance. You will gain, noticeable torque and lose almost every bit of the drone you speak of. When you are finished with your ear to ear grin, get the Dynomax you speak of. They are allot cheaper and mine have worked well for 4 years now. "H" pipes are not nearly as effective at cancelling sound as the "X" pipes.

:iagree: Ultraflows with an x-pipe is an awesome sounding/performing exhaust system.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

69chargerR/T

Quote from: deputycrawford on December 26, 2007, 05:01:42 PM

I hear a lot of different stories about H-pipes and X-pipes,some say X-pipes are better, more hp ,more torque than H-pipe and sound different. Some say on a street car you wouldn't notice the difference if you had a H-pipe or an X-pipe, you would only notice the difference in time and speed at the track. As for sound its the same thing, some like the sound of the X-pipe some don't,some say the X-pipe has a kinda whine to it. Some say the H-pipe sounds better more muscle car sound. Most people that had flowmasters had a drone or they resonated,they changed mufflers and the drone was gone or almost gone. Thats the response I got from some posts I made. I don't want to pay an exhaust shop to put in an X-pipe with my flowmasters and still have it drone or resonate, I have a nice fitting 3" flowmaster exhaust with an H-pipe 3" factory style tips, so now with your info I'm not sure what to do.I understand what you are saying, but what I would like to do is just change the mufflers an hope I can cut the drone in half and I would be happy!!!! I have some people say no drone with magnaflows and some say no drone or little drone with dynomax ulta flo's. I'm trying to see who has used these two mufflers and what they think of the sound. Sorry this is so long but I'm confused again on what I should do, I don't want to buy a whole new exhaust :shruggy:

Thanks, Alan

deputycrawford

I was running flowbastards with no scavenge pipe at all and couldn't think inside the car. I put in an x-pipe and the drone disappeared all together. Even with the flowbastards. Get the "X". You will be happy.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

blue69

The magnaflow mufflers are made better. They have stainless steel construction while the cheaper ultraflows are made out of aluminized steel. The unpolished magnaflow is about the same price as the steel ultraflo. Also the magnaflow has a layer of stainless steel wool around the perforated core to protect the insulation from wearing out. I've heard that ultraflo mufflers will wear out like a glasspack over time because of this. Based on this chart http://ls1tech.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-119518.html the magnaflow is quieter than the ultraflo which is probably why most prefer the ultraflo. I was able to get my Borla mufflers off eBay for the same price summit lists the unpolished magnaflows. They have a better grade of stainless steel on the internal parts than the magnaflow mufflers, but have a 1,000,000 mile warranty instead of a lifetime warranty. I think any of the three you decide to go with will give you the same horsepower increase. They are straight through designs.