News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Camshaft has me nuts..

Started by mally69, January 27, 2008, 09:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mally69

OK here's the scoop im running a comp magnum cam 292 dur .501 lift,  it rated at 3000 - 6200 rpm. my intake is rated at 3000-7000 TM-7 my stall is 3200-3500 tci.
Here is my problem.
When i first got the car on the road i had the cam installed on the 0 mark. But I didnt run it for more than a few days then tore it apart and advanced the cam. When you advance the cam doesnt that change its Advertised operating range (make it lower) .  Now if my intake and stall come in at 3000 rpm FOR THE BEST peformance what should i do leave it advanced or set it back to zero. I don't quite get it.  If i leave it advanced then my cam, intake, and stall arent working together in the same rpm range, am I right ??? That would mean the cam is coming in sooner and the intake will still be trying to make the top end power?? This isnt a race motor by any means, im just trying to figure out what would be best, or perform better..

firefighter3931

The Comp 292 is a fairly large cam...similar to the racer brown ssh44 which was the old MP 509 cam back in the day. The Newer MP 509 has even more duration than the old one. Ok enough on the history lesson.  :lol:

Comp recommends that the cam be installed on a 106* intake centerline which is 4* advanced. I would degree it in on the recommended centerline...don't rely on lining up the dots.  :P I've seen more than one timing set that was not accurate so the only way to do it properly is with a dial indicator and a degree wheel.  :Twocents:

That cam should work great with a 3200-3500 stall and the TM7 intake along with a set of 3.91-4.10 gears.

Ron

Ps. To answer your question on cam timing ; yes advancing the cam will move the power curve down slightly. A 4* advance equates to roughly a 200 rpm adjustment (lower).
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mally69

Thanks :icon_smile_big:  I wasn't sure exactly how much it brought the rpm range down to. When i had the timing marks  lined up on the 0 mark everything degree'd the way comp said it should. But for some stupid reason i got talked into advancing it by somone. Oh well that will give me something to do tomarrow after i talk to a guy about the dana 60. :scratchchin:
Thanks ,appretiate the help.  :cheers:

firefighter3931

Quote from: mally69 on January 27, 2008, 10:18:08 PM
Thanks :icon_smile_big:  I wasn't sure exactly how much it brought the rpm range down to. When i had the timing marks  lined up on the 0 mark everything degree'd the way comp said it should. But for some stupid reason i got talked into advancing it by somone. Oh well that will give me something to do tomarrow after i talk to a guy about the dana 60. :scratchchin:
Thanks ,appretiate the help.  :cheers:

No problem Mally  ;)

Comp grinds 4* of advance into their cams so intalling it straight up should be 4* advanced or a 106* intake centerline. This tells me that your timing set is accurate.  :2thumbs:

Quit procrastinating......Go get that Dana !!!!  :lol:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mally69

Steve P.

You mean to say that you DIDN'T get it yet?? ?? ??  :slap:  Stop thinking about it.. Go>>>>>>>>
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

mally69

Quote from: Steve P. on January 28, 2008, 07:03:35 PM
You mean to say that you DIDN'T get it yet?? ?? ??  :slap:  Stop thinking about it.. Go>>>>>>>>

haha not yet, I tried to get a hold of him today but no luck, we works weird hours at a glass plant. When i get it ill post some pics up in the other thread  :icon_smile_big: