News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 governor weight question

Started by Dartbloke, December 22, 2007, 02:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dartbloke

Am I right in thinking that if you fitted a lighter Governor weight, the transmission would change up at higher revs only at full throttle? Thinking this could be a good mod for the column change guys that race with the shifter left in "drive". Wouldn't want the shift speed to be raised whilst driving "normally" on the street.
" The man that said nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door"

RD

Quote from: Dartbloke on December 22, 2007, 02:53:30 PM
Am I right in thinking that if you fitted a lighter Governor weight, the transmission would change up at higher revs only at full throttle? Thinking this could be a good mod for the column change guys that race with the shifter left in "drive". Wouldn't want the shift speed to be raised whilst driving "normally" on the street.

a lighter governor weight will allow for higher shifts at full throttle, but there is a spring in the governor too, so spring pressure (e.g. the proper spring pressure to correlate with the appropriate governor) is needed too.  so just putting a lighter governor in there without putting in the proper spring may cause issues.

John K. experimented with this stuff in the past from what he has told me, and well... he said it didnt work out that well.

your best bet is just to buy a new higher rpm governor set from the aftermarket and install it.  that way, there is no guess work.  Hemi governor's go for around 50-70 dollars i believe.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

John_Kunkel

The outer governor weight has most effect on part throttle upshifts, the spring has most effect on WOT and the inner weight effects both.

Unless you want to spend a lot of time pulling the tailhousing and experimenting with different weight/spring combos it's best to get a governor kit rated at the rpm at which you desire the WOT upshifts. A&A has such kits but keep in mind that it's unlikely that both the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts will occur at the same rpm; if there is an unacceptable rpm spread it will then be necessary to go into the valve body and change the shift valve spring(s).

Even with a column shift it's a lot cheaper and less work to just manually shift at the desired rpm.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dartbloke

Thanks, I was going to use an A&A kit, just wanted to double check what the effect would be.
" The man that said nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door"

John_Kunkel

The governor kits won't be all that noticeable at normal throttle settings, they come into play more at WOT.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dartbloke