News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Choke Help

Started by bordin34, December 19, 2007, 04:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

The choke on my caburetor is coming off way too soon, less than one minute. The engine then proceeds to backfire and stall. The carb is a Holley Street Avenger 670cfm. I adjusted the adjuster all the way to the left, which is to keep it on longer. I also made sure I had a good positive wire by switching it from the wiper motor to the positive battery terminal. Any help?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Musicman

The first thing you need to do is get it off the positive battery terminal... that puts the choke on 24/7... it's suppose to be hooked to a wire that is hot when the ignition is on... the wiper motor supply was fine.

bordin34

Ok I did that, is there a way to keep it on longer?

Mahwah,NJ

Musicman

You should be able to hold it back by turning the cap left or right. I have an Edelbrock which you turn Clockwise to tighten the clock spring, but you said you have a Holley, which I believe is just the opposite. Just keep turning until it you get there, don't worry about the markers, you can go past them if necessary, their just ballpark indicators. If the spring gets to far out, you may have to replace it.

bordin34

The Holley has built in limiters, I adjusted it all the way to the limiter. Which is counter-clockwise.

Mahwah,NJ

Musicman

Sounds like it's time to replace it... like any choke spring, it can get fatigued after a while... fortunately their not real expensive.