News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Steel 68-69 Charger Hoods from Auto Metal Direct

Started by jsampsell, December 19, 2007, 03:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsampsell

Quote from: hemihead on December 20, 2007, 07:23:34 AM
What about 71 - 74 Power Bulge Hoods ????????

hemihead,

Sorry, no 71-74 Power Bulge Hoods on the schedule yet.  Could they be down the road?  Yes.  How far down the road?  I don't know.  This is a common request and the more people requesting a part, the more likely it is to be made.  Within reason of course.  We still have to make decisions that are appropriate for the business' success.  The owners of the company will make those final decisions based on their ideas of what is best for our company but customer requests definitely get to them as they make their decisions.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

jsampsell

Quote from: Lurker on December 21, 2007, 01:47:42 AM
  what a beautifull sight, the guys who invented insulin got world wide recgonition, i've never needed insulin but i need fenders and a hood. right now these posts make me want to nominate jsampsell for some sort of award. when the 68 fenders are ready for sales i am ordering a set and sending them a bottle of gibsons.

Lurker,

You are too much man.  I'm just the messenger.  Although you can still send the bottle of Gibsons.   :2thumbs:

You should have already read in a previously answered post that the fenders will be here soon.

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

jsampsell

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 22, 2007, 12:04:20 AM
Jeremy, I heard some one was making 69 Roadrunner Fenders, Is that you or someone else? If so how much are they? LEON.  :scratchchin:

hemi-hampton,

Yes, we are the ones making the 69 Road Runner fenders, too.  Pricing is expected to be $589.95 per side.  We have over 400 new parts coming out for mainly B and E-body with a little bit coming for A-bodies.  Watch for our website to get up and running within the next couple weeks.  That will give you a LOT of information.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

jsampsell

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on December 22, 2007, 04:22:45 PM
When are door skins coming out?

68ChargerJMP,

We are not doing skins.  We are doing full door shells however.  Expected to be here in second quarter 08.  Expected price not set yet.

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

jsampsell

Quote from: JimShine on December 22, 2007, 05:29:13 PM
Looks great! Are they being offered without the metal pads (1968) as well? Or do they all come with the pads for the end user to remove if needed?

JimShine,

Just the one hood option with the metal pads.  Thanks for asking.

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

daytonalo

Any plans on 70 hood and fenders ? If not you should many people around here build Daytona clones .

jsampsell

Quote from: daytonalo on December 26, 2007, 11:04:54 AM
Any plans on 70 hood and fenders ? If not you should many people around here build Daytona clones .

daytonalo,

You ask a popular question.  Unfortunately, since 70 is a one year only style for the hood and fenders, we do not have plans to make them at this time.  It is possible that we make them down the road but I couldn't say when.  The decision making for the first 400+ parts we are making focused on two main things:  the more popular models/years and whether or not a part was able to fit multiple models and years.  We will focus on this foundation and then grow from there into other models/years as it makes sense for us to invest the money.

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

daytonalo

Thank you ! Not many people are into 68's , 99 % of charger lovers own 69-70 . Wouldn't it have been cost efficient to modify dies so that either a 69 or 70 hood be made from same die without major tooling of another die ?

jsampsell

Quote from: daytonalo on December 26, 2007, 11:57:00 AM
Thank you ! Not many people are into 68's ,

Yes, but the second factor I mentioned came into play with that decision.  There are more parts that fit 68 and 69 thus opening up twice as many possible sales for the same part.

Quote99 % of charger lovers own 69-70 . Wouldn't it have been cost efficient to modify dies so that either a 69 or 70 hood be made from same die without major tooling of another die ?

We realize that 70 is a popular year as well, but the differences between the 69 and 70 hoods and fenders are too different in order make them both from the same die.  So, from a cost efficiency perspective, it is better to focus on parts that fit 68 and 69 models.

All of your questions are welcome.  Let me know if you have any others.  Take care,

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

daytonalo

I read somewhere that a co is going to make 69-70 fenders and hoods . What co is that ??

Larry

Troy

Thank you ! Not many people are into 68's , 99 % of charger lovers own 69-70 . Wouldn't it have been cost efficient to modify dies so that either a 69 or 70 hood be made from same die without major tooling of another die ?
I'd say that's an extremely incorrect statement. Maybe 40-45% of 2nd generation fans own a 69 with only slightly fewer 68 owners. The 70 ownership lags behind because of fewer cars made and they just aren't as popular (sorry). You're obviously forgetting the large group with 1st and 3rd gen cars. Besides that, the 70 hood is waaaaaay different but the 68 and 69 are nearly identical.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

daytonalo

jsampsell

Quote from: daytonalo on December 26, 2007, 12:48:15 PM
I read somewhere that a co is going to make 69-70 fenders and hoods . What co is that ??

Larry

Larry,

There was another company - I believe named Hardcore Racing - that was planning on making some Charger parts.  I don't recall whether they said they were going to be making fenders and hoods for the 68/69 and 70 or not.  But that may be who you are thinking of.  You might want to check with them to see if they are making what you looking for.

For the record, we do have fenders coming for 68/69.  Actually, by fall of next year, you will be able to replace almost the entire 68/69 cars with all new sheet metal from our company.  We just don't have any 70 stuff planned yet.  Sorry.

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

tomdroptop

I heard Hardcore was done, belly up...anyone else hear that?

daytonalo

Troy

Quote from: tomdroptop on December 27, 2007, 11:52:24 AM
I heard Hardcore was done, belly up...anyone else hear that?
Do a search in General Discussion. Hardcore's quarter panel tooling and inventory were bought by Ron Lushia (but I forget the company name). That's not really a discussion that needs to happen here though since this is about AMD's hoods.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Rack

Disagree.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,16002.0.html

Granted that's only a poll of 300 or so people, I think it's still indicative of the way people feel overall. I like the 70 as well, but '68 is my favorite.

:2thumbs:

68ChargerJMP

Daytonalo, are u smoking crack or what? Not many people are in to 68's? Do you actually beleive that?

daytonalo

I Do!!! Especially around here 69-70 are most popular

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bill440rt

Quote from: daytonalo on December 26, 2007, 02:55:48 PM
Just the front edge of the hood and fenders !! :icon_smile_big:

If I could comment here, the '68/'69 hoods & fenders are COMPLETELY and TOTALLY different than the '70's, it's NOT just the front edges.

The depressions in the hood on '70's are wider & lower than in '68/'69. The underside bracing is also not even close, same with the openings for the hood turn signal indicators or block-off plates.
Despite the obvious front differences on the '70 fenders, they are also WIDER up on top than the '68/'69's.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

72Charger

I'm in favor of a company that helps out us First and Third Gen folks!  :Twocents:

2nd generation is like the favorite child and gets all the neat stuff  :nana:

Lord Warlock

subscribing so i can find this later.  The hood looks fantastic, the more time i spend working on my own during the paint process the more i'd consider buying a replacement, and mine only has 3 to 6 small or shallow dings.  But with each new coat of paint, a different ding appears, dang that large flat area. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

tomdroptop

Quote from: Lord Warlock on December 30, 2007, 09:48:23 PM
subscribing so i can find this later.  The hood looks fantastic, the more time i spend working on my own during the paint process the more i'd consider buying a replacement, and mine only has 3 to 6 small or shallow dings.  But with each new coat of paint, a different ding appears, dang that large flat area. 

Thats my thinking at this point also, not to mention any bodywork that may or may not return after this old hood is fixed!
It is the shipping thats keeping me from gettin one today.

gasoline_24

Not sure this is the correct place for this, but I will post anyway.  I spoke with the guys at AMD the other day and they said if I got an order over $4,000 together they would ship to one location for free.  I am in KS and if anyone else is interested in purchasing some sheet metal we could coordinate and get it all shipped to one location and save the shipping.  I plan on purchasing 1/4s, trunk floor, dutchman panel and fenders.  This means only about $1,000 left for someone else.  Let me know as I will be ordering around Feb./March.