News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Steel 68-69 Charger Hoods from Auto Metal Direct

Started by jsampsell, December 19, 2007, 03:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsampsell

Hello everyone, it's been awhile since I posted.  I thought I'd post a couple pictures of our Charger hood that came in this past Monday.  They are $599.95 plus shipping.  Give us a call if you have any questions or want to order one:  866-591-8309.  (We also have new 68-69 Road Runner hoods, too!)  Pictures below.

By the way, I will be posting pictures of our quarter panel samples when they come in this week.  We thought they were going to be here in October.  Then we thought they'd be here in November.  Well, they will definitely be here this week.

Take care,

Jeremy Sampsell
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

Charger Hood - Top

Charger Hood - Underside

Hemidoug

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

Where are you guys located? I'm still not satisfied with the one on my car......If they are as nice in person count me in!
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

skip68

Looks dam nice to me.  :yesnod: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  And I think the price is real fair too.  I don't need one but it's good to know that they are out there.    Chuck.........
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

69bronzeT5

Quote from: jsampsell on December 19, 2007, 03:14:52 PM

By the way, I will be posting pictures of our quarter panel samples when they come in this week. 

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

70 Charger RT

70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

jsampsell

Quote from: Hemidoug on December 19, 2007, 03:16:39 PM
Where are you guys located? I'm still not satisfied with the one on my car......If they are as nice in person count me in!

Hey Hemidoug, we are in Flowery Branch, Georgia.  Just Northeast of Atlanta, south of Gainesville.

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

resq302

Doug, what is wrong with yours?  Looks really good to me unless something happened since I saw it last.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Old Moparz

I like it enough that I'd want to get one just to hang on my living room wall.    :D

Nice work.   :2thumbs:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 19, 2007, 04:58:41 PM
I like it enough that I'd want to get one just to hang on my living room wall.    :D
I see no problem with that, people spend lots more for nice artwork all the time. ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ryan

wow...... looks like I will be getting one of those. I have over 30hours into my hood and it still isnt straight :brickwall:

how straight are the hood? Do they need anyfinishing work? Or just prime block and paint?

:2thumbs:
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

BB1

Delete my profile

tomdroptop

Man I had no intentions of going that high but now that I think about it maybe I'd be better off

Are you planning on attending any shows with the hood in stock in the future??

Hemidoug

Quote from: resq302 on December 19, 2007, 04:47:24 PM
Doug, what is wrong with yours?  Looks really good to me unless something happened since I saw it last.

It was not as good as I would have liked to start with. I had to fill some hood pin holes as well as some rust issues. Both problem areas are starting to show...you wouldn't notice it unless I pointed them out. It's just that I notice it and I'm the one who needs to be pleased!

Jeremy....Are you going to be at Carlisle? If I made the purchase could you bring it with you and I could pick it up at the show? Thanks.... :cheers:
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

rare69

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

AdamMopar

Lurker

what a beautifull sight, the guys who invented insulin got world wide recgonition, i've never needed insulin but i need fenders and a hood. right now these posts make me want to nominate jsampsell for some sort of award. when the 68 fenders are ready for sales i am ordering a set and sending them a bottle of gibsons.
1968 xp29 charger thats now rust free.. and trunk free and floorboard and quarterpanel free.
1972 b5/b5 318 barracuda patently waiting its turn.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2663667

hemi-hampton

Jeremy, I heard some one was making 69 Roadrunner Fenders, Is that you or someone else? If so how much are they? LEON.  :scratchchin:

68ChargerJMP

JimShine

Looks great! Are they being offered without the metal pads (1968) as well? Or do they all come with the pads for the end user to remove if needed?

BB1

Delete my profile

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

jsampsell

Quote from: Ryan on December 19, 2007, 06:15:45 PM
wow...... looks like I will be getting one of those. I have over 30hours into my hood and it still isnt straight.

how straight are the hood? Do they need anyfinishing work? Or just prime block and paint?

Hey Ryan, I'm not the best person to ask this since I actually work for the company making the hoods - meaning that I can tell you very easily that the hoods are perfectly straight and no other company will ever make another Charger hood as perfect as ours.  There are a lot of people that will make a ton of claims since they are trying to sell something.  So, what I will say is this:  we put a lot of time and effort into making sure our final production hood is as close to the original as possible.  We have sold a number of these since last week and we've gotten some feedback already - all extremely pleased with the quality and fit.  One of the things that anyone restoring a car of this age has to be aware of is that production quality now is WAY better than production quality of when these cars were made new.  Even NOS pieces sometimes don't fit well due to this same issue.  So, with that said, as straight and as perfect as we can make a hood off of an original hood, there still may be some tweaking to do to make it fit your car well.  As far as finishing work goes, it comes from the factory with an EDP coating which means it is ready to be painted.  I am not a paint guy, so I'm not the best reference for this kind of thing, but I believe all you have to do is prime, block and paint.

Anyhow, this is probably a much longer answer to your question than you anticipated, but I like to make sure I'm as clear with everything as I can be.  Forgive me if this is stuff you already know.  Since this is on a message board with members of varying knowledge regarding these matters, I find it better to go ahead and explain things just in case someone reading it doesn't know some of this stuff.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

jsampsell

Quote from: BB1 on December 19, 2007, 07:07:48 PM
Yes!

How about 68 fenders?  :laugh:

BB1, fenders are coming!  We aren't far away from having them, either.  I have not been given an update on them lately, but the last I heard is that we should have the 68 fenders late January/early February and the 69 fenders a few weeks after that.  Expected price is $589.95 per side.  Any other questions, let me know.

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

jsampsell

Quote from: tomdroptop on December 19, 2007, 07:35:32 PM
Man I had no intentions of going that high but now that I think about it maybe I'd be better off

Are you planning on attending any shows with the hood in stock in the future??

tomdroptop (and Hemidoug),

We are planning on being at some shows next year.  What shows, I'm not sure yet.  More than likely, Mopar Carlisle and Mopar Nationals.  I also don't know if we will be bringing product to sell at the shows.  We have some dealers now and it has been discussed that we should not compete with our dealers that happen to be at the same shows.  That means that if we don't have them, someone else should.  I will try to post it here closer to the shows if I know for sure what dealers will be there to buy from.  Or, if we do decide to sell our stuff, I'll let you know that too.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

jsampsell

Quote from: hemihead on December 20, 2007, 07:23:34 AM
What about 71 - 74 Power Bulge Hoods ????????

hemihead,

Sorry, no 71-74 Power Bulge Hoods on the schedule yet.  Could they be down the road?  Yes.  How far down the road?  I don't know.  This is a common request and the more people requesting a part, the more likely it is to be made.  Within reason of course.  We still have to make decisions that are appropriate for the business' success.  The owners of the company will make those final decisions based on their ideas of what is best for our company but customer requests definitely get to them as they make their decisions.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

jsampsell

Quote from: Lurker on December 21, 2007, 01:47:42 AM
  what a beautifull sight, the guys who invented insulin got world wide recgonition, i've never needed insulin but i need fenders and a hood. right now these posts make me want to nominate jsampsell for some sort of award. when the 68 fenders are ready for sales i am ordering a set and sending them a bottle of gibsons.

Lurker,

You are too much man.  I'm just the messenger.  Although you can still send the bottle of Gibsons.   :2thumbs:

You should have already read in a previously answered post that the fenders will be here soon.

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

jsampsell

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 22, 2007, 12:04:20 AM
Jeremy, I heard some one was making 69 Roadrunner Fenders, Is that you or someone else? If so how much are they? LEON.  :scratchchin:

hemi-hampton,

Yes, we are the ones making the 69 Road Runner fenders, too.  Pricing is expected to be $589.95 per side.  We have over 400 new parts coming out for mainly B and E-body with a little bit coming for A-bodies.  Watch for our website to get up and running within the next couple weeks.  That will give you a LOT of information.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

jsampsell

Quote from: 68ChargerJMP on December 22, 2007, 04:22:45 PM
When are door skins coming out?

68ChargerJMP,

We are not doing skins.  We are doing full door shells however.  Expected to be here in second quarter 08.  Expected price not set yet.

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

jsampsell

Quote from: JimShine on December 22, 2007, 05:29:13 PM
Looks great! Are they being offered without the metal pads (1968) as well? Or do they all come with the pads for the end user to remove if needed?

JimShine,

Just the one hood option with the metal pads.  Thanks for asking.

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

daytonalo

Any plans on 70 hood and fenders ? If not you should many people around here build Daytona clones .

jsampsell

Quote from: daytonalo on December 26, 2007, 11:04:54 AM
Any plans on 70 hood and fenders ? If not you should many people around here build Daytona clones .

daytonalo,

You ask a popular question.  Unfortunately, since 70 is a one year only style for the hood and fenders, we do not have plans to make them at this time.  It is possible that we make them down the road but I couldn't say when.  The decision making for the first 400+ parts we are making focused on two main things:  the more popular models/years and whether or not a part was able to fit multiple models and years.  We will focus on this foundation and then grow from there into other models/years as it makes sense for us to invest the money.

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

daytonalo

Thank you ! Not many people are into 68's , 99 % of charger lovers own 69-70 . Wouldn't it have been cost efficient to modify dies so that either a 69 or 70 hood be made from same die without major tooling of another die ?

jsampsell

Quote from: daytonalo on December 26, 2007, 11:57:00 AM
Thank you ! Not many people are into 68's ,

Yes, but the second factor I mentioned came into play with that decision.  There are more parts that fit 68 and 69 thus opening up twice as many possible sales for the same part.

Quote99 % of charger lovers own 69-70 . Wouldn't it have been cost efficient to modify dies so that either a 69 or 70 hood be made from same die without major tooling of another die ?

We realize that 70 is a popular year as well, but the differences between the 69 and 70 hoods and fenders are too different in order make them both from the same die.  So, from a cost efficiency perspective, it is better to focus on parts that fit 68 and 69 models.

All of your questions are welcome.  Let me know if you have any others.  Take care,

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

daytonalo

I read somewhere that a co is going to make 69-70 fenders and hoods . What co is that ??

Larry

Troy

Thank you ! Not many people are into 68's , 99 % of charger lovers own 69-70 . Wouldn't it have been cost efficient to modify dies so that either a 69 or 70 hood be made from same die without major tooling of another die ?
I'd say that's an extremely incorrect statement. Maybe 40-45% of 2nd generation fans own a 69 with only slightly fewer 68 owners. The 70 ownership lags behind because of fewer cars made and they just aren't as popular (sorry). You're obviously forgetting the large group with 1st and 3rd gen cars. Besides that, the 70 hood is waaaaaay different but the 68 and 69 are nearly identical.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

daytonalo

jsampsell

Quote from: daytonalo on December 26, 2007, 12:48:15 PM
I read somewhere that a co is going to make 69-70 fenders and hoods . What co is that ??

Larry

Larry,

There was another company - I believe named Hardcore Racing - that was planning on making some Charger parts.  I don't recall whether they said they were going to be making fenders and hoods for the 68/69 and 70 or not.  But that may be who you are thinking of.  You might want to check with them to see if they are making what you looking for.

For the record, we do have fenders coming for 68/69.  Actually, by fall of next year, you will be able to replace almost the entire 68/69 cars with all new sheet metal from our company.  We just don't have any 70 stuff planned yet.  Sorry.

Jeremy
Auto Metal Direct
866-591-8309

tomdroptop

I heard Hardcore was done, belly up...anyone else hear that?

daytonalo

Troy

Quote from: tomdroptop on December 27, 2007, 11:52:24 AM
I heard Hardcore was done, belly up...anyone else hear that?
Do a search in General Discussion. Hardcore's quarter panel tooling and inventory were bought by Ron Lushia (but I forget the company name). That's not really a discussion that needs to happen here though since this is about AMD's hoods.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Rack

Disagree.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,16002.0.html

Granted that's only a poll of 300 or so people, I think it's still indicative of the way people feel overall. I like the 70 as well, but '68 is my favorite.

:2thumbs:

68ChargerJMP

Daytonalo, are u smoking crack or what? Not many people are in to 68's? Do you actually beleive that?

daytonalo

I Do!!! Especially around here 69-70 are most popular

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bill440rt

Quote from: daytonalo on December 26, 2007, 02:55:48 PM
Just the front edge of the hood and fenders !! :icon_smile_big:

If I could comment here, the '68/'69 hoods & fenders are COMPLETELY and TOTALLY different than the '70's, it's NOT just the front edges.

The depressions in the hood on '70's are wider & lower than in '68/'69. The underside bracing is also not even close, same with the openings for the hood turn signal indicators or block-off plates.
Despite the obvious front differences on the '70 fenders, they are also WIDER up on top than the '68/'69's.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

72Charger

I'm in favor of a company that helps out us First and Third Gen folks!  :Twocents:

2nd generation is like the favorite child and gets all the neat stuff  :nana:

Lord Warlock

subscribing so i can find this later.  The hood looks fantastic, the more time i spend working on my own during the paint process the more i'd consider buying a replacement, and mine only has 3 to 6 small or shallow dings.  But with each new coat of paint, a different ding appears, dang that large flat area. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

tomdroptop

Quote from: Lord Warlock on December 30, 2007, 09:48:23 PM
subscribing so i can find this later.  The hood looks fantastic, the more time i spend working on my own during the paint process the more i'd consider buying a replacement, and mine only has 3 to 6 small or shallow dings.  But with each new coat of paint, a different ding appears, dang that large flat area. 

Thats my thinking at this point also, not to mention any bodywork that may or may not return after this old hood is fixed!
It is the shipping thats keeping me from gettin one today.

gasoline_24

Not sure this is the correct place for this, but I will post anyway.  I spoke with the guys at AMD the other day and they said if I got an order over $4,000 together they would ship to one location for free.  I am in KS and if anyone else is interested in purchasing some sheet metal we could coordinate and get it all shipped to one location and save the shipping.  I plan on purchasing 1/4s, trunk floor, dutchman panel and fenders.  This means only about $1,000 left for someone else.  Let me know as I will be ordering around Feb./March.

tomdroptop

Thats a cool idea & as much as I cant help you maybe some people here near NJ can team up leme know I need a hood! That leaves 3400.00 more  :shruggy: