News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A518 in a 2nd gen charger

Started by NMike, December 18, 2007, 11:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NMike

has anybody done this install? i was thinking about doing this. i have a 518 from a cummins, staright cut gears. i found a place on that sells steel SFI bellhousings that require you to cut off the bellhousing. instant adaptation to the RB motor.

i am just wondering about the floorpan and the crossmember mods. i understand the mount is more rear and the tailshaft is alot thicker. yes i know about the shorter driveshaft.

694spdRT

How does the steel bellhousing attach once you cut the case up? The cummins tranny is actually called an A618 and the bolt pattern is the same as a V10 truck tranny but completely different than a small block A518. The valve body setup is different also but maybe you know these things already. It might be possible to use a A518 gas case and swap in the diesel guts if you want. The A518's are pretty common and the adaptor that is made to bolts right up to a big block. That way you wouldn't have to worry about cutting off the bell as there must be some pretty tight tolerances involved.   
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

NMike

the bellhousing bolts to the pump itself. the cummins trans is basically a race trans that was installed from factory.other than the bell housing bolt patter the case is the same. just the guts are better.

the valve body is just set up for low RPM shifts, a shift kit will solve that along with a govenor from a gaspot. i was more wondering the amount os surgury need on the floor. i don't mind building a crossmember, but i have a colum shift car, kinda hard to hide a big buldge in the floor pan.

PS, thanks RD for the links. i went back a coupleof pages but forgot about the search :brickwall:

RD

Quote from: NMike on December 19, 2007, 12:45:51 AM
the bellhousing bolts to the pump itself. the cummins trans is basically a race trans that was installed from factory.other than the bell housing bolt patter the case is the same. just the guts are better.

the valve body is just set up for low RPM shifts, a shift kit will solve that along with a govenor from a gaspot. i was more wondering the amount os surgury need on the floor. i don't mind building a crossmember, but i have a colum shift car, kinda hard to hide a big buldge in the floor pan.

PS, thanks RD for the links. i went back a coupleof pages but forgot about the search :brickwall:

no problem, i have them all in my favorites, so it was easy to spit them out for you. good luck!
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander