News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 Dual Snorkel

Started by MadScientist, October 03, 2005, 01:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadScientist

Hey all,

I was hoping that somebody could tell me what the inside of this air cleaner is supposed to look like.  I am going to do wrinkle finish on the outside, but I am unsure about the inside.  From what I could tell it looked like flat black originally. Or is that just carbon?  It was still black after cleaning it with brake cleaner. I was thinking of cleaninit up and just putting clear on it, but Im worried about putting anything in there at all.

Any help would be great.

MS

Headrope

I dont' know the answer, wut wonder if this site might help:
http://www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner.htm

It could help others too. Its a year-by-year identification chart - of sorts - for air cleaners. I've found it to be accurate so far - though have used it primarily to identify older engines in cars sitting in junk yards.

Good luck.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

MadScientist

Thanks for the input.  I found it funny that the one for 70 was already stripped of its paint!  Anyway, it looks like some of them were painted on the interior.  Still havent made up my mind yet. 

Thanks again.

MS

hotrod98

When I restore them, I always paint the inside with PPG DP90 black epoxy and no paint. Paint and gasoline don't always get along well and the epoxy prevents rust.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

ScottW

Great link Headrope.  :)

I will be using that link for reference on both of my cars.
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1974 Dodge Charger SE 360/4v Sunroof

MadScientist

hotRod,

Do they sell DP90 in a spray can? or is it a brush on application?  The whole thing about the gas-paint interaction is what had me concerned.  That, and if the paint flakes off and ends up in the carb. eech.

MS

hotrod98

True epoxies are only available as a two part system that has to be mixed and sprayed with a spray gun after a 30 minute induction time for crosslinking.
I have seen some epoxies in a spray can that work quite well but have never seen it in black, usually just gray or green/gray. Check with some industrial companies or Eastwood.

Charles Addams

MadScientist

The only thing Eastwood had was their Chassis Black which has an epoxy base (not sure what that means).
Still looking.

MS

hotrod98

You can get a single stage gray epoxy in a spray can at just about any automotive paint store. Check and see if they have a dark gray or black. Clean the bare metal, spray a couple of light coats of the epoxy, wait a few minutes and then spray a couple of real light coats of semi gloss black spray paint. Don't go overboard. Just enough to get coverage. Doing it this way will lock the enamel to the epoxy to prevent the paint from peeling. Us poor guys sometimes have poor ways. Good luck.

Charles Addams

MadScientist

Gotcha,

thats exactly the sort of approach I was looking for.  I'll look into it

MS