News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A 383 or 440?

Started by bull, December 15, 2007, 10:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I recently talked to an engine rebuilder referred to me by my brother who quoted me a price of $2,500 to rebuild my original 383. Ok, fine, that's in line with another quote I already have. But then then he told me he might have a line on a 440 and said he would get back to me with the details.

So today the guy calls me back and says he's trying to get a 426 Hemi from a guy for his '64 Dodge project and that I can have the 440 he just rebuilt and was in the process of installing in that car for $2,500 if he gets the Hemi. But then he tells me he has a rebuilt 383 that was never picked up by a customer because the customer cannot pay for it, and that one will cost me $1,800 if I want it.

I wasn't going to put the original engine back in the car anyway so that opens up many possibilities, and while I would like to have a 440 in my car I just don't know if I could come up with $2,500 right now. I'd be lucky to get the $1,800 he wants for the 383. The 383 is a good deal for sure because it would save me $500-$700 over the cost of having mine rebuilt. The 440 would cost me the same as rebuilding mine... but I would have a 440.

So do I try to scrape up the cash for a rebuilt 383 or beg, steal and borrow enough money to somehow land the 440? Keep in mind the 426 deal may fall through and the only choice would be the 383. But if it pans out for him to get his Hemi I'll have a big decision to make.

He couldn't tell me all the specs off the top of his head but this is what he remembers: Both engines are balanced, both are '66-'69 vintage, the 383 has been bored .030 over and the 440 is .040 over, the 440 has a comp cam (but he couldn't recall the specs), both have roller timing sets. Neither of the internals were shot peened on either engine and only the 440 has ported heads. Both will run on pump gas and be very streetable yet go when asked to go.

So what do you think? Buy a $2,500 440 or a $1,800 383?

Ghoste

It it were me, I'd go for the 440.  But if money is tight and you don't plan to get too crazy with it, that 383 is a good deal.  I forget now Bull, what did you end up deciding about the stock carb?

Nacho-RT74

My opinion:
would you race or something similar ? Oftenly notice that ppl allways is toward 440 and hemis as only GREAT Mopar engines around when we have had GREAT engines on 383 ( 400 ) and 318 included, or even better 340!!!

You can get lot of juice of a 383, or even a 318 if you get the right internal pieces for the purpouse you want. Once again you need to be clear on what you want. and NO... MOPAR NOT ONLY MADE 440S AND HEMIS AS GREAT ENGINES...

We have on market GREAT internal and external pieces for those engines too, and even better, will be GREAT "sleepers".

One thing is that Mopar made is GREAT ENGINES ( and trannies ) ON ALL DISPLACEMENTS... we can say in fact /6 225 allmost saved Chrysler bussines in earliers 60s when came out.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

MOPARHOUND!

1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

mikesbbody

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on December 15, 2007, 10:07:25 PM
It it were me, I'd go for the 440.  But if money is tight and you don't plan to get too crazy with it, that 383 is a good deal.  I forget now Bull, what did end up deciding about the stock carb?

Well, basically I decided that I want to have all the stock parts but not necessarily put them on the car, if that makes sense. I did find a correct original 2bbl carb but I wasn't necessarily planning on using it. What I wanted originally was an engine that would work with both a 2bbl and 4bbl carb and what Ron basically told me is that the only way to really do that is do a stock rebuild as if I were going to put a 2bbl on it and then just run a 4bbl. That's pretty much the way they did it back in the day. The car is kind of on the rare-verses-desirable fence in that while it is rare (1 of 74) it is not necessarily desirable since it's a 383/2bbl/4spd. The four speed is the most desirable part of that combo and the other two make it rare when combined with the four speed.

Since I am not restoring the car to sell but rather to enjoy, I have already done a few things to it that are not original such as adding disc brakes and going with black paint instead of green. That's what got me thinking about the 440 option, however I probably wouldn't have considered it until this opportunity presented itself. I will keep all the original parts in case something happens and I have to sell it but if no financial problems befall me the car will likely never see it's 22bl original engine, tt1 green or drum brakes again.

It's just an opportunity that came up and it's more likely that I'll go with the 383 simply because I seriously doubt I can come up with $2,500 in the time frame this guy would like me to. Like I said before I'll be lucky to scrape together $1,800.

Steve P.

I would put a cummins in it.. :D

Bull, when you and I spoke about your car last year you were more interested in having a nice clean driver than anything else. You have never sounded like monster HP was a big deal to you either. Topping it all off you have everything for a 383 and your car IS a 383 car. I would have to think you would be happy with a 383. You can keep your numbers motor under the bench for that (I HAVE IT) thought and still enjoy plenty of power. Of course you need to find out exactly what you are getting for your money..  :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

bull

Steve P.

Maybe less. The Charger is a good thousand pounds lighter than a truck..  ;)
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

rav440

BULL , im not sure where you live but i have a line on a 69 383 # 2468130-11 LL that im getting very soon . im buying a the whole deal from a guy i know so i can get the 346 mild port jod big valve heads ,
anyway its basicly a unbuilt short block hot tanked bored .030 over .010 under cast crank new cam bearings forged .030 trw flat top pistons , recon rods ,   CRANE 471/286 cam , edelbrock true roller timming chain sealed power rebuild kit chrome valve covers chrome oil pan $800.00

im in pittsburgh
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

bull

Quote from: rav440 on December 16, 2007, 09:14:52 AM
BULL , im not sure where you live but i have a line on a 69 383 # 2468130-11 LL that im getting very soon . im buying a the whole deal from a guy i know so i can get the 346 mild port jod big valve heads ,
anyway its basicly a unbuilt short block hot tanked bored .030 over .010 under cast crank new cam bearings forged .030 trw flat top pistons , recon rods ,   CRANE 471/286 cam , edelbrock true roller timming chain sealed power rebuild kit chrome valve covers chrome oil pan $800.00

im in pittsburgh

Sounds good. Are you saying it's in pieces or ready to go?

rav440

Quote from: bull on December 16, 2007, 09:54:26 AM
Quote from: rav440 on December 16, 2007, 09:14:52 AM

im in pittsburgh

Sounds good. Are you saying it's in pieces or ready to go?

BULL , it needs to be put togather . my friend had all of the machine work done and bought all of the parts in 1995 to build his CHALLENGER but by the time he went to start on the CHALLENGER it was to far gone so he sold it for dirt . the block in parts have been in a climate controlled room in plastic bags for the last 12 years . i havent seen them yet coz im waiting for cash from antoer deal to come in so i can go buy the stuff . im not even sure im going to use the 346 heads  :shruggy: im still up in the air about them because of the new 440SOURSE aluminum heads . anyway yes it needs put togather .  :cheers:

bull

Well, that's a helluva deal either way.

I did pick up a spare '70 383 block a while back but I probably won't be using now since this deal came up. Maybe I can trade it in to this guy and cut my costs a little.

rav440

Quote from: bull on December 16, 2007, 10:15:31 AM

I did pick up a spare '70 383 block a while back but I probably won't be using now since this deal came up. Maybe I can trade it in to this guy and cut my costs a little.

BULL , trade the 383 to who ?  where do you live ?

bull

Quote from: rav440 on December 16, 2007, 10:22:56 AM

Trade it in for a credit to the rebuilder I mentioned in the first post. I live in Oregon.

Charger-Bodie

Bull,

I think at this point you gotta do whatever ya can to get the 440. you obviously want it, so later you will probably regret it if you dont get it!  :Twocents:

By the way a 383 is a great gine but the torgue of a 440 even a close to stock one is AWESOME !
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

Quote from: 1hot68 on December 16, 2007, 10:28:16 AM
Bull,

I think at this point you gotta do whatever ya can to get the 440. you obviously want it, so later you will probably regret it if you dont get it!  :Twocents:

By the way a 383 is a great gine but the torgue of a 440 even a close to stock one is AWESOME !

Yea, I know. I've never had a 440 so I really can't compare it for myself. I've had 383s and have always had good luck with them as well as lots of fun. I don't really know if I would regret not buying the 440 but I would like to try one out if I can swing the financing. It may not happen that he can even sell it so the decision might take care of itself. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

rav440

Quote from: bull on December 16, 2007, 10:25:35 AM
Quote from: rav440 on December 16, 2007, 10:22:56 AM

Trade it in for a credit to the rebuilder I mentioned in the first post. I live in Oregon.

thats what i thought you ment just wanted to be sure . well the offers there if you wish , i should be picking it up in a few weeks hopefully sooner . the only problem i see if you would want it is getting it to you .   :scratchchin:

bull

Yea, the shipping on something like that can't be cheap. I have to wait a couple weeks anyway for this guy to figure out if he's getting that 426 but I'll be in touch with you on the 383. Are the heads done? Hopefully they relieved the pressure on the valve springs beofre putting them in storage.

Oh, nevermind. You said short block.

rav440

Quote from: bull on December 16, 2007, 10:36:08 AM
Yea, the shipping on something like that can't be cheap. I have to wait a couple weeks anyway for this guy to figure out if he's getting that 426 but I'll be in touch with you on the 383. Are the heads done? Hopefully they relieved the pressure on the valve springs beofre putting them in storage.

Oh, nevermind. You said short block.

yes the heads are done ,mild port job 2.14 intake 1.81 exhaust magnafuxed , surfaced , guides , crane springs & retainers , valve locks , freeze plugs  i doubt they relieved the pressure , not sure how bad that would be , but im guessing it isnt all that good either . :shruggy: 
like i said im not sure if im going to keep them or not but thats why im getteg this whole deal for is the heads . most likely knowing the way i am ill end up getting the 440sourse heads and sell the 346 heads .

694spdRT

If you could swing the 440 that is probably the better way to go. 383's are good engines but you already have the original one(and a spare block) if you decide to go down that road someday. I paid $300 for the completely rebuilt stock '68 383 HP in my '68 Charger so there are deals are out there.

You probably already know the 440 will need a different intake and distributor than a 383 if they don't come with the engine.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Ghoste

Another thing to consider Bull, if you go the 440 you need to understand that high torque and speed is a drug.  If you go with the 383 because you want a good looking reliable cruiser that isn't a stone, you'll be happy.  If you give in to the 440 you will launch yourself on a never ending quest for more.  :yesnod:

ps. on the plus side, we're a swell bunch of guys over here on the dark side.  :D

charger2fast4u

i'd try anything i could to get that 440 unless you just wanted a cruiser go wit the 383 always good to have that litlle bit more HP but like ghoste said then you will always be looking for more  :2thumbs:

BB1

Quote from: Ghoste on December 16, 2007, 12:01:51 PM
Another thing to consider Bull, if you go the 440 you need to understand that high torque and speed is a drug. If you go with the 383 because you want a good looking reliable cruiser that isn't a stone, you'll be happy. If you give in to the 440 you will launch yourself on a never ending quest for more. :yesnod:

ps. on the plus side, we're a swell bunch of guys over here on the dark side. :D

I agree with that, I'm on drugs right now. It's called Hemi-itis
What started out as a simple cruiser, is now a dedicated drag car.

Warning, you don't want to end up like me.
Delete my profile

bull

Gee, I'd hate to have to deal with yet another addiction... :scratchchin: