News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I use Keisler, GearVendor, or ??? for an overdrive gear?

Started by cking, December 15, 2007, 03:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cking

I have a 72 charger and am running a stock 727 torqueflight.  I want to get an overdrive gear and have looked at the Keisler transmissions which offer easy install and bolt up with 30% reduction.  i have also looked into the GearVendor bolt on overdrive kit which offers 22% reduction.  Has anyone used these products or know of any better way?  Greatly appreciate any advice or experience. Thanks.

Chris

RD

why dont you just use a A518/46RH?  you can modify the trans housing to fit in the tunnel w/o modifying the tunnel... do you have a bb or sb?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Mike DC

It's the most expensive and the biggest move away from stock, but I think the Keisler GM tranny thing would theoretically provide the biggest benefits.  Better gear spacing (w/a lower 1st gear), a lockup converter, and a higher OD ratio. 

But I don't know anyone who has actually done this retrofit yet.  I'm just saying it looks like the best final result on paper.

Ghoste

Even Ehrenburg was feeling the love for Keisler setup in of the issues of Mopar Action and if a guy who has "NUKE GM" for his vanity plate likes it, that's really saying something.

bill440rt

I've seen the Keisler booth at Carlisle, they had a RR on a lift so you could see the installation. VERY nice setup. I am impressed with their kit, it seems to be the most complete, easiest to install, & hassle-free. I basically need everything trans-related for my '69 Charger anyway, so I'm going for a Keisler setup. Dollar for dollar, it would probably even out by the time I'm done with it comparing the Keisler to GV.
If you have a running, driving car, the Gear Vendors might be a more economical way of doing it.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

68RT4ME

I can't speak for the Keisler but, I do have the Gear Vendors installed on my '71. I originally had 3:23 gears and when I got the GV installed, I went ahead and switched to 3:91's. I can run 80 MPH at 3100 RPM all day and still have plenty more top end if I want it not to mention a great street gear which launches the car real nice out of the hole compared to the 3:23's.

The GV works great and they claim it will handle up to 1200HP. There was another thread debate on these two products somewhere around here a couple months ago. Do a search for it. You will find pro's and con's for both. I think it's just a matter of personal pref. and or budget. If it's budget, the GV is about half the cost as the Keisler and you can use it for either a 727 or an A833. Just need to tell them what you have when ordering. I also know they have a great warranty. Good luck.
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Ghoste on December 15, 2007, 11:16:32 PM
Even Ehrenburg was feeling the love for Keisler setup in of the issues of Mopar Action and if a guy who has "NUKE GM" for his vanity plate likes it, that's really saying something.

Well when magazine guys get things for free it is hard to bad-mouth a company...
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

d72hemi

To bad Keisler is using the weak(er) 4L60E, when they could have started with the new(er) and stronger 6L80E, 6 speed auto. Although I have not heard of anyone using the 6L80E in anything other than factory cars, like Corvettes.

Mike DC

I think all the 4L80E trannys have a larger case than the 4L60 series trannys.  It probably didn't fit as well. 

Personally I don't want 6 gears anyway, auto or manual. 
If it was an apples-to-apples comparison (the 1st and top gear ratios were the same total spread), I'd much rather just have the 4 gears. 

bull

I don't know if there's a deal like this for automatics but in 4 speed cars a new thing being done now is to modify the newer overdrive 833s to work in muscle cars. It works well and costs a lot less than GV or Keisler, IMO you can grenade quite a few cheap 833s before you reach the $3,000 it costs for a GV but it sounds like they hold up pretty well.

See this: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,35972.0.html

Ghoste

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on December 16, 2007, 03:54:27 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on December 15, 2007, 11:16:32 PM

Well when magazine guys get things for free it is hard to bad-mouth a company...

Very very very true but as a rule I find Ehrenburg to be pretty merciless when he slams other makes.  Just my observation but it seems like MA gives the advertiser prostitution to other writers.