News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Photoshop Tutoring (help)

Started by Charged, December 14, 2007, 11:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charged

Hi, I cant remember the members name but Im sure he'll see it or somebody else that can help me. But anyway, I have Adobe Photoshop version 7 & also Imageready version 7. I do not know how to use it and right now I just want to learn how to screw around with the picture of this Astro van I have been working on in the garage. The photo as you see it has not been altered by anymeans except by me in my garage. I now want to use photoshop to see what different paint jobs and graphics would look like on it. Id also like to make all the wheels the same and add a side door so itll look 1/2 way correct. Is there anybody that can show me a quick briefing about how to do this on my own?

Ive uploaded a screen shot of my program after injecting the vans picture into it.

Thanks

69bronzeT5

ds440 is the main photoshop guy here. Havent seen him for a while though :shruggy:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

dukeboy_318

i pm'ed him the other day, hes very busy with stuff right now and hasnt had much time to do much of anything.  :cheers:
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: dukeboy_318 on December 15, 2007, 01:19:22 AM
i pm'ed him the other day, hes very busy with stuff right now and hasnt had much time to do much of anything.  :cheers:

Thanks for the info :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Charged

Thanks fellas, Ill try to send him a quick link to this thread.

ds440

As dukeboy stated, I have been extremely busy recently and haven't been able to work on any Photoshop images for awhile.  But since I am in the process of being snowed in right now, you caught me at a good time. ;)

Charged, I'll try my best to explain how I would go about your project, however keep in mind that it is much easier to show you, than try to verbally explain it - so bare with me. :icon_smile_blackeye:  Also keep in mind that with Photoshop there are a thousand different ways to achieve the same result.  I'll just give you the ways that I prefer, but other people may have different suggestions that may work better for you. :2thumbs:

1) The paint job:  First and foremost, if you want a decent looking paint job in Photoshop, you have to start with an image that has a decent paint job.  If you are looking to change a color to, say, orange and the existing color is grey primer, the end result will look like a flat colored orange.  If there aren't any shiny reflections in the original, then there won't be in the final.  There are ways around that, but for our purposes here, just keep that in mind.

With that said, the primary "tool" you will use is the Lasso Tool (second from the top, on the left column of your tool bar - it looks like a lasso).  Click and hold that button and other Lasso tools should pop up.  Pick the one that looks jagged (Polygonal Lasso Tool).  Now here you're going to need some patience.  What you do is carefully select the areas in which you intend on "painting" - i.e. the body panels.  Take your time.  Once the area is selected (you'll get the 'dancing ants'), go to EDIT >> COPY; then go back to EDIT >> PASTE.  What you have done is created a new Layer.  On the bottom right you see "LAYERS/CHANNELS/PATHS" - click on Layers and you should see "layer 1."  Click on Layer 1 and rename it "body panels" or "color" or something you'll remember.

Working in layers is really key.  It will allow you adjust, change, modify certain areas without screwing up the rest of the image.

Now with Layer 1 selected, go to IMAGE>>ADJUSTMENTS.  Under "adjustments" is everything you need to change the color and the look of that paint job.  The easiest is to look under Hue/Saturation.  Just slide the Hue area left and right and you will see the color change.  HOWEVER, since your van is grey/silver what you will need to do is select Variations (should be at the bottom of Adjustments).  And you will have to tweek the color in there.  Bad news for you is that grey, black or white are the most challenging to change.  BUT, it is very possible with a little work.

I highly recommend you try everything under "adjustments" just to see what each individual command can do.  It will allow you almost infinite adjustability.

2) Graphics:  Next to the LAYERS/CHANNELS/PATH window box is a little arrow on the right.  If you click on that, a dialogue box will appear and you should see things like "make new layer."  Well...click on "make new layer" and name it "graphics" or whatever.  Now in that layer you can do whatever it is that you were thinking as far as graphics are concerned.  I'm not sure if you were planning on stripes or what, but this way the graphic is placed on a separate layer that can be adjusted without changing the background or paint color.

3) The wheels:  You seemed to have figured that one out.  If you were looking at using different rims, the method you would use is similar to the Copy/Paste method of the paint job.  Just find an image of the rim you want, copy/paste and use a new layer.  The trick with rims is getting the proper perspective.  Since you have side view it should be easy enough, however, if the van was in perspective it can be very challenging.  In fact, the rims are always the hardest part.

4) The side door:  this one is tough.  Unless you have an image of the door, from the same angle (and even with the same lighting) you might struggle with this.  It's the same scenario as the rims.  Copy/Paste the door in the right area.  If you do have a decent shot of the door, it might be beneficial to "merge" that layer with the body color layer BEFORE you tweek the color.  That way you will be adjusting the color at the same time.  To merge layers go to the same arrow that is next to LAYERS/CHANNELS/PATHS.  There is a "merge down" command that will allow you to combine certain layers.

-----------

Finally, in order to save the image as a jpeg, you will need to "Flatten" the image.  You cannot save a file with separate layers as a jpeg.  That same lovely arrow where you created and merged the layers should have a "flatten image" command.  Keep in mind once you flatten the image and save it you will lose your layers.  So I save both a Photoshop file (extension .psd) AND the final jpeg file.  So if I ever need to go back to tweek the image again - I still have the Photoshop file with the layers.

This is a lot to take in.  If you have any other questions, or need clarification, don't hesitate to ask.  Hopefully this will be of some help.  There are probably some online tutorials, but in my experience, just getting in there and getting your hands dirty has always been the most effective way to learn.  Just have some patience and you should be good to go. :2thumbs:

Good luck.
1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

dukeboy_318

Quote from: ds440 on December 15, 2007, 11:08:39 AM
As dukeboy stated, I have been extremely busy recently and haven't been able to work on any Photoshop images for awhile. But since I am in the process of being snowed in right now, you caught me at a good time. ;)

Yep, me too, 4 inches  so far, heavy stuff to come tonight and tomorrow, we're getting ice right now  i like lots of snow, my truck will do snow, but i HATE ice :'(
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

Charged

Alright, heres my homework teacher. Heres what Ive done.
-Body Drop
-Chopped Top
-Angled Rake to the top
-Corrected the wheel
-Applied paint and touch up by zooming
I put the van on a different background because when I did the "Free Transform" it left a white outline after I angled and chopped the top. Anyway, I guess a pictures worth 1000 words.

Heres a question that I HAVE to ask because it got to the point to where I was getting pissed off. When I was using the lasso, upon no rare occurance, it wanted to go ahead a connect itself (close the loop). Why does it do this? Its the worst with that polygonal lasso. Also, if this happens, is there a way I can shape the already closed lasso?

Im a photoshop virgin. This is my first work...and Im likeing it.  :2thumbs:

Charged

I think I've figured out how to do this one better next time just by looking & thinking about it. You learn threw experience! . This stuff takes a good bit of talent. My props to you guys doing it Well.

ds440

Quote from: Charged on December 15, 2007, 10:13:22 PM

Heres a question that I HAVE to ask because it got to the point to where I was getting pissed off. When I was using the lasso, upon no rare occurance, it wanted to go ahead a connect itself (close the loop). Why does it do this? Its the worst with that polygonal lasso. Also, if this happens, is there a way I can shape the already closed lasso?

The software is probably thinking that you are double-clicking.  When you double-click with the lasso tool, it closes the loop.

You can't shape the closed lasso.  However you can add or subtract to it.  When you have the lasso tool selected, hold down shift - you'll see a little plus sign next to your cursor.  With the shift key down, click the areas you want to add.  To subtract, hold down ALT - and you'll see a minus sign.  Just highlight the areas you want to subtract. (If you are using a Mac, the keys are Shift and Option respectively).

Good luck. :2thumbs:
1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

Khyron

Photoshop is easy.... :D

I like this van better.

I promise it's my last one ;)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Charged

ds440: OK, I got it to function right. Im actually using Vista with a Gateway E-155C (a tablet PC). Im not using a mouse when I draw, but I got the screen fliped down and am drawing it with the stylus.

Krylon: LOL, I never in a million years would have thought about having a lamp for an antenna...thats pretty funny.

Thanks
Charged

PS, heres a picture where I got my buddy a hot girlfriend.

dkn1997

Quote from: Khyron on December 16, 2007, 02:09:22 PM
Photoshop is easy.... :D

I like this van better.

I promise it's my last one ;)

OMFG, that Hanson poster is the funniest thing I have seen on here in a while.
RECHRGED

dodgecharger-fan

Charged, here's alittle inspiration for ya!
http://www.findcars.com/a.php3?q=246260

Just don't put a Ford engine in yours like they did!!