News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

intake and carb which is best for me

Started by mikesbbody, December 20, 2007, 09:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikesbbody

I need some advice re: a intake and carb Ill give as many details about my car as possible. I have a 72 charger with a 74 440, single plane weind and 750 vs holley, 280 isky cam, 906 heads (unported and stock valves) 1.3/4 headers, 2500 stall, 8.3/4 rear with 3.5's on 28 tires.
I can change the intake and carb to a dual plane edelbrock performer and a 750 holly dp would this be better? I dont have any desire to race the car its street driven and doesnt see much highway miles. i always thoguht the dual plane was more of a low-mid rev range (which is what i do) any input would be appreciated any possible gains made with this swap? any tweaking required? or should i stick with what i have? thanks.
ps, is the performer intake suitable for a future stroker?

firefighter3931

Mike, i would go for the Performer RPM intake manifold instead of the "Performer"....it is a much better piece. The standard performer is a small runner manifold that is best used on a towing application.  :yesnod:

The RPM or your Wiend single plane will both work well on a future stroker build. Is the single plane intake an "accelerator" model ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mikesbbody

Hi ron, i was hoping you would reply  :2thumbs: yes, i will keep the single plane for the future stroker i dont know much about intakes accelator model? ill see if i can find any numbers on it and let you know if i do. thanks again  :cheers:

mikesbbody

ron, how dumb am i ? i had no idea that the "performer" and the rpm "performer"were a different intake! I could have made a big mistake had you not mentioned it  :cheers: maybe i should stick with my intake and carb until the time comes to stroke? im not complaining with the way it drives i just thought the "performer" and the double pumper would be better than what i have now. But now i think ill stay away from the performer, and get a "rpm performer". Also im sure you will agree, the 750 DP is too small for a stroker anyway but good enough for my 440?

firefighter3931

Mike, if you're happy with the single plane just keep using it for now. One thing i would do is install a 1in 4-hole between the carb and intake manifold....this will help with throttle response and make the engine snappier off idle. Single plane intakes reduce the vacuum signal to the venturi boosters and the 4 hole spacer will bring most of that signal back....not as good as a dual plane but pretty close.

Yep, the "Performer" & "Performer RPM" are 2 very different intake manifolds. I like a double pumper carb but you can get by with what you have now....then upgrade when it's stroker time. :icon_smile_big:  A 750 dp will be too small for a stroker....for sure !  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mikesbbody

firefighter3931