News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tranny mount & motor mounts ?

Started by skip68, December 14, 2007, 11:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

Ok, I put a new STOCK tranny mount in and it ripped in half after only a couple stabs on the gas.  :brickwall: My motor (built 440,auto) mounts are stock and I think I need to go with solid mounts. My question is do they make a solid tranny mount?  Is it ok to have the motor and tranny both on solid mounts?   Thanks.          Chuck..........
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

firefighter3931

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

skip68

Thanks Ron.  :2thumbs:  But what about my tranny mount?  Or does the drivers side bolted mount cure the problem?  Once again thanks.  Chuck
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Ghoste

The stock one should be fine after doing that motor mount upgrade unless you're making big torque and hooking it up.  Something always has to give someplace :o :D, but if you're worrying about it, a nice compromise might be a poly trans mount.  It'll toughen it up but still allow a little cushion.

firefighter3931

Quote from: skip68 on December 14, 2007, 11:26:54 AM
Thanks Ron.  :2thumbs:  But what about my tranny mount?  Or does the drivers side bolted mount cure the problem?  Once again thanks.  Chuck

Sorry Chuck, i should have explained better.  :P

Usually, a broken trans mount results from a broken engine mount...so check the drivers side mount because it is probably fubarred too. The bolt trick works great and you only need to do it to the drivers side engine mount.  ;)

It's possible that you got a "bad" tranny mount but i would look at other things that could be contributing. A bad driver side mount can cause all kinds of grief when the engine lifts under load. Stuff like broken transmission isolators, fan shrouds and/or fans, punctured radiators, damaged hoods (when the fan seperates) just to name a few.  :-\

Good luck...see ya in March (MATS)  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

skip68

skip68

My drivers side mount seems to be bad.  :scratchchin: I was pushing the engine with a bar to see if it moved and it was moving. Should the mount be separating from the rubber at all ? ? ?   Thanks,   Chuck.............

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: skip68 on December 18, 2007, 07:02:11 PM
My drivers side mount seems to be bad.  :scratchchin: I was pushing the engine with a bar to see if it moved and it was moving. Should the mount be separating from the rubber at all ? ? ?   Thanks,   Chuck.............

no it should not...the rubber will stretch of course but should not be loose from the metal.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

firefighter3931

Quote from: skip68 on December 18, 2007, 07:02:11 PM
Should the mount be separating from the rubber at all ? ? ?   Thanks,   Chuck.............

Nope....sounds like the mount is broken. Replace it and the trans mount at the same time and perform the bolt trick to make it bulletproof.  :2thumbs:

Ron

skip68

Thanks so much 1hot68 & Ron.  Looks like i'll be under the car again.  :eek2:   Chuck.....

Dartbloke

Polyurethane trans. mounts work well, but don't ever think of mounting it solid unless you like replacing broken tailshafts....
" The man that said nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door"

skip68

Well, I picked up a new motor mount and tranny mount last night.  Today I will be going to Ace to get the bolts and nuts and then I'll get the holes drilled and make the bullet proof motor mount.  :icon_smile_big:  I've never done a motor mount before so is there something or a trick I need to know to make it easier?  Thank's Ron.  :2thumbs:         Chuck...............

firefighter3931

Quote from: skip68 on January 08, 2008, 10:20:21 AM
  I've never done a motor mount before so is there something or a trick I need to know to make it easier?  Thank's Ron.  :2thumbs:         Chuck...............

Chuck, get the car up on ramps and just place a piece of wood under the oilpan and use a floor jack to raise the motor up. Of course you will need to remove both lower (motor mount) bolts from the k-frame to free up the motor. You might have to enlarge the k-frame bolt hole on the driver side a bit because the mount will be slightly raised due to the conical bolt heads that will be there after "bulletproofing" the mount but that's no big deal.  ;)

Good luck !  :2thumbs:

Ron

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: firefighter3931 on January 08, 2008, 06:45:35 PM
Quote from: skip68 on January 08, 2008, 10:20:21 AM
  I've never done a motor mount before so is there something or a trick I need to know to make it easier?  Thank's Ron.  :2thumbs:         Chuck...............

Chuck, get the car up on ramps and just place a piece of wood under the oilpan and use a floor jack to raise the motor up. Of course you will need to remove both lower (motor mount) bolts from the k-frame to free up the motor. You might have to enlarge the k-frame bolt hole on the driver side a bit because the mount will be slightly raised due to the conical bolt heads that will be there after "bulletproofing" the mount but that's no big deal.  ;)

Good luck !  :2thumbs:

Ron

.......And whatever you do , make sure you keep an eye on the fan! they like to break shrouds in this procedure!! dont ask me how I know! :brickwall:  :RantExplode:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

skip68

;) :2thumbs:  I'll go buy a set of ramps right now.