News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help with Steering Column assembly - where does this bolt go?!

Started by Corellian Corvette, July 08, 2007, 10:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corellian Corvette

Hey folks! Putting my steering column back together this weekend and I ran into a snag - for the life of me there are 2 bolts I can't figure out where they go.

They are special bolts with a square head that bold into top part of the column where the turn signal switch is (1st picture). I can see where the bolts fit into a groove on the back (2nd picture) - but I don't see what they are actually attaching to (3rd picture).

The bolts threads stop and and there is about 1/4 inch of bolt that will just be loose. I can't figure out what this is supposed to be holding.

Hopefully the pictures help.

Ghoste

Corellian Corvette

So is there another part that they are supposed to bolt to? I'm trying to understand how they attach...

Nacho-RT74

Dunno remember the year, but definitelly looks is not a 70 and later model
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

histoy

It's been years since I've had one of these apart, but I think you should have 2 of these bolts to fasten the 2 pieces together, not 1.  I think you have to loosen the nuts so the square heads of the bolts will fit into the 2 slots shown in your picture entitled "Nothing to bolt to?".  The slots are at the 11 & 5 o'clock positions in the picture.   Hope this helps, but if I'm wrong, I'm sure that someone else with a better memory will be able to help.

Corellian Corvette

It's a 68 column. I think 70+ would have had the key on the column.

I do have both bolts. The thing I'm confused about is that the bolts fit in the slot, the nut is on the on other side, but they are not actually holding anything together. And I can't spin the nut all the way down.

It's hard to explain. There are 2 parts - there is the upper part where the turn signal switch attaches, then there is the lower part which limits the amount of left-right movement.

The bolt only attaches to the upper part. There is no retainer or anything that the bolt is actually holding. And there is no part on the lower portion to bolt to. Basically, if I took the bolt/nut away, nothing would be different. So I'm not sure why it's there?

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on July 09, 2007, 02:30:18 PM
It's a 68 column. I think 70+ would have had the key on the column.

yes of course... also hazzard switch so turning switch is not interchangeable either... that is why I was saying that... I can't no help, just know about 70 and laters.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

histoy

It's probably been 30 years since I had one of these apart, but try this.... Remove the nuts from the bolts.  Stick the heads of the bolts in the slots, on the outside if I remember right.   Put a rubber band around them & the column to hold them in place temporarily.   Slip the top housing over the bolts and install the nuts and tighten them down.   Hope that works.... like I said, it's been a loooong time ago.

Corellian Corvette

OK I figured it out. Thanks for all your help.

Turns out you have to loosely install the bolts with just a LITTLE bit of thread on the nut. There are slots in lower column (you can sort of see them at the 11 and 5 o'clock position in the last picture) and the heads of the bolts catch in that slot and capture them together. Very tricky to get right but it's all done now!

Thanks!  :2thumbs:

chargercraig

I had the exact same problem about a week ago  it made me feel pretty lame :-\

Dodge69_440

Ok sorry to bring back such an old thread, but those are the two nuts I'm talking about in my previous post  :rofl:!  My only problem is the studs appear to have fallen further down the column!!!  If I don't have these attached on a 69 would this be why I can pull my steering shaft out an inch?  Than

Back N Black

Quote from: Dodge69_440 on December 12, 2007, 08:07:22 PM
Ok sorry to bring back such an old thread, but those are the two nuts I'm talking about in my previous post  :rofl:!  My only problem is the studs appear to have fallen further down the column!!!  If I don't have these attached on a 69 would this be why I can pull my steering shaft out an inch?  Than

I would say that it is most likely your problem, that is what holds the two sleeves together.