News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

steering column telescoping

Started by badack, December 11, 2007, 11:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badack

The steering coupler in my 69 charger separated which is scary. Fortunately it happened pulling out of my garage and not on the highway where I was hours earlier. The shaft just telescoped towards the firewall and the pot coupler came apart. I've read threads detailing how to replace the shear pins in the shaft so that it doesn't do that. If I buy a flaming river replacement coupler, won't that keep it from telescoping? Because if I have to take that whole column out I was considering spending the $600. and replacing the whole thing.

chargerbr549

Here's a link that has some interesting information about steering columns and how to fix some of them.

http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/steering/9.html

Kevin

badack

thanks Kevin, I did see that link and it was helpful if I need to stop the column from telescoping. What i'm trying to determine though is if i need to bother because the flaming river coupler bolts through both the steering column shaft and through the steering box shaft. Therefore, doesn't that stop the thing from telescoping.

steve

Charger_Fan

Are you saying your steering wheel telescopes in & out on it's shaft?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

badack

Well yes, and that happens when the little plastic pins break. Other threads have described several fixes; epoxy, nylon bolts, even a tach weld, but is that necessary with the new coupler.

Charger_Fan

That I don't know, I haven't taken one apart yet...I would assume so, but I can't be positive. Hopefully someone who knows will chime in. :)

In the meantime, here's a :bump: for your thread.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Anders

Quote from: badack on December 12, 2007, 12:09:36 AM
thanks Kevin, I did see that link and it was helpful if I need to stop the column from telescoping. What i'm trying to determine though is if i need to bother because the flaming river coupler bolts through both the steering column shaft and through the steering box shaft. Therefore, doesn't that stop the thing from telescoping.

steve

Hey Steve, did you bought the Flaming river coupler? Today I took my column apart and found out that there's only one plastic pin left my in shaft and it's telescoping as well. I think I'm gonna leave like that cuz the Flaming coupler bolts through the str.shaft and steering box shaft as you said.
68 Charger

badack

I did get the coupler but I haven't installed it yet. I tell ya though, it looks like it will be easier since the column telescopes because otherwise they tell you to unbolt the column so that you can slide it in. Once I get it installed I too plan to leave the column without the pins unless there turns out to be play there. I'll let you know.

pete

I'm trying to remember correctly, but I'm pretty sure that I welded mine.  I went to put it back on and it was too short??  Hmmmmm......  It was then that I realized that the two pcs were loose and I'm pretty sure I welded them.  Good Luck.

PocketThunder

My steering column telescoped today on the freeway and i lost steering :o  I had my two kids in the back and i was on my way home from a 30 mile trip to the suburbs to see Tipopiola (Chris) this morning.  About 4 miles from home i felt the steering get very loose and i immediately pull to the far right lane and plan to take the next exit.  Two seconds later i have no steering wheel at all, so i gently hit the brakes and the car pulled to the right, i was lucky.  I went off the road and then slammed on the brakes because the curb was comming up fast.  We hopped the curb and came to a stop in the weeds.  Everyone was ok.  :angel:

So, after the flat bed drops me off this morning i take a look at it and the coupler didnt move, the steering shaft must have moved.  Take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think.  Is there supposed to be that much of a gap at the steering wheel?

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

Quote from: chargerbr549 on December 11, 2007, 11:44:26 PM
Here's a link that has some interesting information about steering columns and how to fix some of them.

http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/steering/9.html

Kevin

Where do the plastic bolts go that they speak of?
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

chargerbr549

You have to take the column completely apart and the shaft that connects your coupler to your steering wheel is actually a 2 piece set-up that slides inside of each other in case of a major wreck the steering column won't poke a hole in you the 2 piece shaft will collapse as will the outer housing. Its surprising that the shaft came out of the coupler because there is also a safety dowel pin that goes in the end of the coupler that will keep the spring and shoes from coming out of the coupler. Something I did for a while and it got me by was to put a hose clamp on the shaft so it couldn't go back up in the column (not really recommended) or fix the shear pins in the 2 piece shaft with plastic bolts or maybe JB weld or other ways might work also. Also make sure that safety dowel gets put back in the coupler body.

Kevin

badack

Paul,

That's what happened to me only it was pulling out of my garage at barely a coast. Your steering coupler has come apart as is evident in the picture. If you spin the wheel you willl see that dowel spin freely. I had that risky hose clamp fix in place for a while too but didn't trust it.

I started this thread to determine whether installing the cv joint coupler from flaming river ($169.) would eliminate the need to remove the column and fix the plastic pieces which keep it from telescoping in. I didn't get any answers here so I went ahead with it and it worked perfect. A two hour project, involves cutting the shaft and drilling it but with a small air grinder it was pretty easy. Steering is now tight.

steve

Charger_Fan

Here, pics are worth many words. Hope this helps & glad you're ok, buddy. :pity:

This is a '69 column someone posted here a while back.

Make sure it's THIS long before you drive. :D

PocketThunder

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on April 14, 2008, 02:54:29 PM
Here, pics are worth many words. Hope this helps & glad you're ok, buddy. :pity:

I pulled the steering column last night but didnt have a steering wheel puller to get the steering wheel off.  So i'll go to Sears and get one at lunch time today.  But i did stand the column up on end last night and pushed down on the wheel and the rod recessed right up in to the column.  And then i held the bottom of the rod with my feet and pulled the steering wheel up and it came back out.  So that plastic bolt that holds the two together is definitely broken.

I'll get more pics up after i get it all apart tonight.

Paul
in St. Paul

PocketThunder

John_Kunkel

There is a wire bail available that prevents the coupler from coming apart if the steering shaft telescopes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-STEERING-COUPLER-CLAMP-YOU-NEED-THIS-LOOK_W0QQitemZ160227171151QQcmdZViewItem
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: PocketThunder on April 15, 2008, 12:08:07 PM
Look what i found:  http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4316117&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1
Interesting. After seeint that, I'd bet anything that plastic is the same type that GM used on it's factory u-joints in the 80's. There was no clips holding the u-joint caps on, just plastic. Of course, aftermarket replacement u-joints came with clips. ;)

John, I remember seeing a clip like that on some cars in the boneyard back in the day. Looks like it's a good idea, albeit not cheap. :eek2:

PocketThunder

After a trip to sears to get a puller the column is all disassembled.

Charger_Fan

Cool, now are you gonna clean it all outta there & use that guy's epoxy idea?

PocketThunder

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on April 16, 2008, 10:49:41 AM
Cool, now are you gonna clean it all outta there & use that guy's epoxy idea?

Either that or try heating it with a torch and letting the plastic melt itself back into the holes.

Shakey

Rolling_Thunder

I use an epoxy when i do mine...      makes it stiff enough to handle some abuse but WILL still collapse.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

375instroke

Looks like you have power steering.  The input shaft moves in and out on power boxes.  Wonder how having a solid u-joint where the normal sliding coupler would be is going to work.

Hemidog

Quote from: 375instroke on September 20, 2008, 05:02:50 AM
Looks like you have power steering.  The input shaft moves in and out on power boxes.  Wonder what having a solid u-joint where the normal sliding coupler would be is going to work.
Just noticed that my input shaft moves in and out, and I have the flaming river coupler. no problems as of yet...