News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

springs & things...

Started by joflaig, December 11, 2007, 01:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joflaig

Well I went to call ESPO to get replacement XHD +1" springs and they are closed till Jan. 2nd. Eaton quoted me a ridiculous price that would have come close to 500 bucks with shipping, plus I would have had to paint them. Based on all the bad things I've read about MP XHDs I guess I am stuck.

Also, based on what I've read here and on moparts I decided to replace my crappy air shocks with the easily adjusted Rancho 9000s that folks have reported good results with. I called Mancini (doesn't stock), Jegs ("Those are for trucks!") and Summit ("Those are for trucks!"). Anyway, the part number has changed from 99116 to 999116 for the rear shocks that works with +1" springs. HOWEVER, I have no clue what to do with the front shocks and neither did any of these places I called since Rancho 9000s are not spec-ed out for this application. Any advice would be appreciated!

Hemidoug

Well, I just bought the Mopar XHD springs for 200.00. There is an adjustable front hanger that can be bought that will give you that extra 1". As far as shocks, it depends on what you want to do. Koni has adjustable shocks for mpars, but are pricey.....
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

joflaig

Mostly street some strip, but if I get into it and go to the strip more often I guess I don't want to be frustrated so am looking for flexibility and versatility. I just ordered a slide-a-links setup today, not a caltracs, for exactly these reasons.

Summit has the adjustable Koni's for 120 a pop:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=KON%2D801538&N=700+400387+4294919396+4294908110+4294925082+115&autoview=sku

Yup, that is not cheap.  :o

Based on what I have learned so far I think the Rancho 9000s would be fine for me (correct me if I am wrong). I just have no idea what part number to get for the front and when you talk to these people on the phone they're just not knowledgable.  :flame:

joflaig

Since I am after an adjustable setup, one combo I'm seeing is Rancho 9000s on the rear and CE 3-way adjustable drag shocks on the front. I wonder given my mostly street application what the functional difference would be between that and having CEs on all four corners.

firefighter3931

The CE's are descent dual purpose shocks and the price is right. Basicly, what you want is a stiff shock for the back and a loose shock on the front (track day) and firm for normal driving. You could leave the rear CE's set at the 50/50 setting all the time and adjust the fronts as needed. I doubt that you will be racing the car all that much so a little effort on race day isn't really a big deal anyway. There are other things you will have to do to help weight transfer (on race day) so you'll be under the car anyway.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

joflaig

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 12, 2007, 08:02:17 PM
There are other things you will have to do to help weight transfer (on race day) so you'll be under the car anyway.  ;)

yup. I ordered a slide-a-link setup yesterday so I will be under there!

joflaig

Quote from: firefighter3931 on December 12, 2007, 08:02:17 PM
The CE's are descent dual purpose shocks and the price is right. Basicly, what you want is a stiff shock for the back and a loose shock on the front (track day) and firm for normal driving. You could leave the rear CE's set at the 50/50 setting all the time and adjust the fronts as needed. I doubt that you will be racing the car all that much so a little effort on race day isn't really a big deal anyway. There are other things you will have to do to help weight transfer (on race day) so you'll be under the car anyway.  ;)

Hmm, I wonder how the CE's compare with the more expensive QA1 Stocker Star AL shocks. The QA1s seem to be much, much easier to adjust with a knob. From what I've read about CE's it may be a pain to know which adjustment you're at without practice.

Hemidoug

I'd like to know what you do and how you like it. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do about shocks as well..... :scratchchin:
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

joflaig

Quote from: Hemidoug on December 12, 2007, 10:20:52 PM
I'd like to know what you do and how you like it. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do about shocks as well..... :scratchchin:

Well, I am really leaning towards the adjustable QA1s at this point. Based on all my research (3 days so far), they get some of the highest grades in quality, right up there with Koni. They are 12-way adjustable and unlike many other adjustables they have a easy to use knob control. With other adjustable shock brands you have to remove the shock to adjust it and some, like the CEs, have no adjustment markers. Also, judging by all the comments I've found it sounds like they work really well for the street too.

Next step is to start calling around tomorrow for pricing and more info. If I run with a +1" spring I have to find out which part# to go with. As for as downsides they are 140 bucks a pop.

Ghoste

I was looking at the QA1's at one point but it was the price that sent me elsewhere.  They are great looking piece and I'm sure they're worth the money but I didn't need all the adjustment so there was no sense in paying for it.
They sure are nice though.

joflaig

Quote from: Ghoste on December 13, 2007, 05:06:01 AM
I was looking at the QA1's at one point but it was the price that sent me elsewhere.  They are great looking piece and I'm sure they're worth the money but I didn't need all the adjustment so there was no sense in paying for it.
They sure are nice though.

Well I dropped a wad and got the QA1 Stocker Star AL shocks. $570.75 with shipping from summit. Ouch.

Before ordering I called the manufacture's tech line. They said I didn't need to deviate from the spec in order to take into account +1" springs.

These are the part #s:

HAL-TC1538P front
HAL-TC1539P rear

Unfortunately, it will be months before I will actually be behind the wheel again!

375instroke

The adjustment is to set the shocks for your car's weight, spring rates, sway bar rates, ride height, roll rate, roll center, tire size and type, the list goes on.  How can you just order one shock for "your" application and it is magically the right one for you?

Ghoste

Because for the generalized driving I am doing, a generic shock is sufficient.  Would I like "some" better?  Sure.  Do I need ultimate tuning for it?  Nope, not with the usage.