News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HELP! Crazy car drives itself!!

Started by NewMoparGuy, December 13, 2007, 08:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewMoparGuy

Hey, now that I've got your attention  :nana: I've got a problem with my 69 Roadrunner... If the car is running either at idle or while driving the wheel will turn to lock right all by itself!!!, I can hold it straight but the "Hey look mom no hands" would send me into the nearest object on my right  :yesnod: What could this be?? I do have a power steering leak coming from the hose area, and the guy I bought it from has a homemade metal cap with a small hole in the middle... I've heard answers ranging from (Power steering pump, The homemade cap not allowing airflow, Steering box valves stuck/sticking, Some sort of bleader screw,) Does anyone here have some ideas??? or better yet the answer??? Thanks in advance  :cheers:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: NewMoparGuy on December 13, 2007, 08:25:41 PM
Hey, now that I've got your attention  :nana: I've got a problem with my 69 Roadrunner... If the car is running either at idle or while driving the wheel will turn to lock right all by itself!!!, I can hold it straight but the "Hey look mom no hands" would send me into the nearest object on my right  :yesnod: What could this be?? I do have a power steering leak coming from the hose area, and the guy I bought it from has a homemade metal cap with a small hole in the middle... I've heard answers ranging from (Power steering pump, The homemade cap not allowing airflow, Steering box valves stuck/sticking, Some sort of bleader screw,) Does anyone here have some ideas??? or better yet the answer??? Thanks in advance  :cheers:

Most likely the valve sticking in the steering box, my 1st Charger did the same thing. I switched the steering box out with a spare and it worked perfect!  :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

histoy

I'd try adjusting the small valve that sits on top of the power steering housing.   It's held in place by 2 bolts.  Loosen the bolts slightly so the valve can be moved front to back.   Jack the car up to get the weight off the wheels, and have the car running at idle.  Move the valve so that it centers the wheels, and tighten the 2 bolts.   Then test drive to see if that corrected the problem.   

chargerbr549

A possibility of what is happening is the valve that bolts on top of the steering sector, with two bolts and hoses go to it, has somehow been bumped or moved around somehow and it will force your steering wheel to go to lock on one side or the other. If that is the problem the way to fix that is to lift the front tires off of the ground, loosen the two bolts on the valve just enough so you can tap it forward or backward but not enough to where you start leaking fluid everywhere, it doesn't take much movement of the valve to affect which direction it will turn to, just keep tapping it around until the steering wheel stays centered and then snug the bolts back down.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

chargerbr549

Oops it looks like I was slow in the typing.

NewMoparGuy

Ok Thanks guys! looks like i'll try the two bolt thing first...(easy fix) if that doesnt work it looks like the steering box  :eek2: That doesnt seem like it would be much fun... any one know where I can get a regular power steering cap???

Ghoste

Be sure when you are adjusting the valve, that you don't ground any tools against the positive terminal on the battery.  I've seen a couple of guys do that using a long extension and putting a ratchet at the perfect collision point.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Charger74

Quote from: NewMoparGuy on December 13, 2007, 10:15:34 PM
Ok Thanks guys! looks like i'll try the two bolt thing first...(easy fix) if that doesnt work it looks like the steering box  :eek2: That doesnt seem like it would be much fun... any one know where I can get a regular power steering cap???

Might try local auto store??  Possibly in the HELP! section.

bull

You're saying it does this when you're not moving? Weird.

NewMoparGuy

Ok guys thanks for the help... and yeah moving, stopped, rolling it doesnt matter. When she decides that she wants to go right, thats what happens!  :shruggy:

NewMoparGuy

Quote from: Ghoste on December 14, 2007, 02:22:13 PM
Be sure when you are adjusting the valve, that you don't ground any tools against the positive terminal on the battery.  I've seen a couple of guys do that using a long extension and putting a ratchet at the perfect collision point.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Some how missed this post!                           but no worries the battery is in the trunk  :lol: :lol:

Ghoste

I guess that's one way to avoid it.  ;)