News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

BB1's 68 Charger Restoration thread *(Update 02/13/09)*

Started by BB1, December 10, 2007, 01:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB1

This thread is titled, "The Year of the 68 Charger" it will be full of photos, and stories about getting my Charger on the road in the year of 2008.

Also it is a total focus for one year of all my money, work, and off time to finish the best Dodge Charger I could ever think of.   

First a little back ground....
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,23609.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37249.msg409441.html#msg409441

Who am I:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/836223

Greeting fellow DC members, guests and Mafia members,

In Feb 2007, I found my Charger on ebag. It was sitting in a farmers field rusting away, I like many of you, was not going to stand letting another Charger rot away.
So I grabbed it knowing that it was a 383 727, and nothing else.

It came with a vin and a f-tag and a title from 1986.
When I got it home, I contacted the famous DodgeCharger.com for help. It turn out to be a special ordered 2X Black car with some cool codes. One was an 5 speakers 8-track, with cruse control, A/C, ps pb.

The body man,
I found him while I was driving to a shop to get my mower blade sharpened. Just a hole in the wall shop that worked on everything muscle car, and it was just down the block from my house.
Fred has been doing this work for 25 years and is an expert paint and body man. The Charger was going to his shop, because I felt he would be able to make it the way I wanted it. That was very important to me.
He as now expanded to a bigger shop and has his people working with the coolest tools, like a new frame table, spot welder, lifts, paint booth, rotisseries, mig welder.

Me,
I will be the parts man on this. I will have Fred and company build the Charger to my specifications.
I work 84 hours a week (yes 84 hours), and don't have time to turn a wrench on it.
This way I will have the money, and still have a hand in it, and it will be done faster.

You have a hand in it too; I hope you can help me with info to get it finished and fired up.

It will have a 426 Hemi/ Hemi 4 speed/ 4.10 Dana 60.
The frame will be tied together and have a NHRA role cage. I love drag racing, so it will have maybe a 4 link or SS springs, light weight k member, 4 wheel disks brakes.

Lots of parts I have to think about.

Interior will be stock black along with the original 68 paint code BB1 which is Black.

I will keep you informed.

Over and out.  :patriot:

PS: The Charger is out of the strippers, but since the weather is very bad, it will be a week before it is moved back to the shop.

Hemi is safe, location not disclosed.  :whistling:

Out.
Delete my profile

RD

I would like to help, please send the Hemi to Jamey Hancock... blah blah for safekeeping (and the occasional flogging when it is put in my charger).

sounds awesome! keep us posted on the build... oh ... WHERE ARE THE PICS? lol
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

BB1

They're in the other threads, but I will have plenty when he's back from the blasters.

:nana:
Delete my profile

BB1

I went to see if I could figure out who built it, and I did.

It is an authentic Indy 426 Hemi 1-Legend 540 hp 500 lb-ft or torque, here is the artical. I'm calling Indy and give them my numbers to see what this engine did. They probably have a data sheet that I would love to have, dyno pulls and torque numbers too.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0607_hemi_engine_challenge/index.html

Said it can run on 92 pump gas,  :scratchchin:

Not bad for craigslist.  :coolgleamA:
Delete my profile

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

BB1

Delete my profile

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: RD on December 10, 2007, 02:53:18 PM
I would like to help, please send the Hemi to Jamey Hancock... blah blah for safekeeping (and the occasional flogging when it is put in my charger).

sounds awesome! keep us posted on the build... oh ... WHERE ARE THE PICS? lol
See, this is the thing about this forum, we have the nicest people offering to help others.  So sweet.  :angel:  kinda makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

T3/RT

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi Conv.
2005 Chrysler 300C
2010 Dodge Challenger SRT

BB1

Here are the engine stats from Indy...
426 1-Legend 540hp 500lb-ftPrice from Indy is $18000. I saved 5500. off the original price.  :2thumbs:

http://www.indyheads.com/images/price3.pdf
Delete my profile

tommymac

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

gordo1968charger

I work 84 hours a week (yes 84 hours)

join the club!!!! :2thumbs:
i ve just got an invite to the red bull christmas party. :lol:
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: gordo1968charger on December 12, 2007, 12:09:48 PM

I hear ya guys - I am currently averaging 90 hours a week while attending school full time  ---  Red Bull Xmas party eh?  :scratchchin:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

keepat

Your Hemi looks Awesome! Note I don't think the oil pan will fit in your 68 Charger?
Pat

BB1

Quote from: keepat on December 12, 2007, 10:31:02 PM

Your Hemi looks Awesome! Note I don't think the oil pan will fit in your 68 Charger?
Pat

Thanks; Yeah, I plan on changing it to a Milondon Pan. Although we pulled the engine out of a 68 Charger.  :ahum:

Quote from: gordo1968charger on December 12, 2007, 12:09:48 PM

To think normal people work 40 hours *sheees*.

Thanks Tommy & Bronze

I think I'll put a big bow on the Hemi and send it out as a Christmas card.  :lol:
Delete my profile

RD

i work 40... 4, 10 hour shifts so I can have friday's off to comb junkyards :D muwahahhahahahaha

oh and bring that hemi to the track next year.. i wanna see how my 73 RR stacks up to it.  We may have to put a keg on it for a wager  :nana:

wedge vs. hemi

ron will love this
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

BB1

Bring it on RD, I take on all comers.

Even Hybrids.  :lolexplode: :boogie:

RD-v-BB =  :cheers: for all.
Delete my profile

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

firefighter3931

Quote from: RD on December 12, 2007, 11:57:45 PM

oh and bring that hemi to the track next year.. i wanna see how my 73 RR stacks up to it.  We may have to put a keg on it for a wager  :nana:

wedge vs. hemi

ron will love this
Quote from: BB1 on December 13, 2007, 11:04:22 AM
Bring it on RD, I take on all comers.

Even Hybrids. :lolexplode: :boogie:

RD-v-BB = :cheers: for all.

Cool....nuthing like a friendly Wedge vs Hemi (heads up) shootout  :2guns:

You guys need to get this on video when it happens !  :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BB1

Maybe I'll slip in some Nossssss FF.  :D

No pics yet, it is going to snow and stay cold for awhile. We don't want to transport the naked Charger on salty roads.

Plans:
I am now going with an Alterktion front suspension. It will keep everthing out of the way of the headers,
plus give me a lighter front end and a smooth ride.
Also I plan on drag racing it, just like my old high school Charger. I just love that feeling of coming to the lights and launching it like a rocket.

http://www.moserengineering.com/Pages/Axles/customalloy.html
For my Dana 60 with 4.10
SS springs in the back, with slicks.

I could put my Hemi in a Dart or Barracuda, but then again I'm a dedicated Charger nut.  :coolgleamA:

4 wheel disk, not sure what brand yet.

727 with a stall converter. Don't know yet what that is. Trans kit for shifting and a some kind of shifter?

I need to dl the NHRA rules, to be legal on the strip at events.

Would like a dodgecharger.com letters spelled out on the back window.

I think I will name him Black Horse

Here are some winter projects, that I will be restoring.

Delete my profile

BB1

Black Horse is back from the strippers.

Remember, both 1/4 and the floor where replaced already, but they where done by an amateur.  :brickwall:
Good for some but not good enough for a Black painted Charger.

They will be replaced again with full quarters, and the pan around the trans replace back to an automatic.

I will try and salvage the sheet metal and sell them whom ever wants it.

The only original sheet metal to this Charger is the roof, cowl, doors and inner fenders, that's it.

Ok now you can look.  :popcrn:  ;)   Total cost is $950.

Hint, there is a 67 Shelby Mustang next to me, one of 10 ever built.
Delete my profile

BB1

Pure metal no primer or anything.  :o
Delete my profile

BB1

:scratchchin:
Delete my profile

BB1

:icon_smile_cool:
Delete my profile

Charger-Bodie

Looks good other some yahoo going hog wild with the seam sealer! :brickwall:

what 1/4s are you getting for it? the ones from Lushia or are you waiting for AMD?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

BB1

Back to the shop.

I think I'm going with;

http://www.classicbodydesigns.com/

I also need a new trunk lid and I just hope new fenders will be ready for purchase soon.

I know  :brickwall: it will all be gone.

This will be the home of my Hemi, so there will be a lot of new frame metal put in to strengthened up the 40 year old Charger.
Plus I will be putting in a 6 point roll cage.

I expect, there will be very little body flex when I hit the gas on the Big Hemi. 

Delete my profile

BB1

New full quarters are coming after Christmas. Just placed the order... pics next week.  ;D

No shipping charges before Jan 1.

Santa has been good to me.

New 68 fenders will be produced in March.
Delete my profile

BB1

PICS!!!

You guys keeping up with the progress....  :scope:

Ok, brand new full quarters from my bud Ron @
http://www.classicbodydesigns.com/

Top notch stuff, I am going to get his door skins too.  :icon_smile_big: & new front fenders.

All new sheet metal men = one beautiful Black Charger.  :thumbup:

Do it right or don't even start!

Body work done in 4 to 5 weeks.  ;D
Delete my profile

tan top

good progress going on there  :yesnod: will be awesome when finished for sure :2thumbs:  looking forward to seeing more pictures as you progress  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

BB1

Thanks Mr. T, We're trying to get it done by Summer 08, then the drag racing will begin.  :yesnod:

I'm finding great stuff, thanks to all the people here at DC.com. There is a wealth of Charger info that you can't find anywhere else.

The floor pans will have to go too, there are a lot of problems with this particular Charger. Amateur body men for one, cheap junk you wouldn't put on ship because it would just sink. Pictures make it look real nice, but we both know it can be much better.

They lost the dam bodyline by cutting right on the edge of the corners, and leaving no references for the rest of the body to follow.  :brickwall: Hence the full quarters to get it back in line. Don't try this stuff at home, amateurs beware!!

The body is going on a frame-table, and laser measuring devices will put every thing back to better than stock.
Major surgery; going under the plasma cutter next week.  :hack:

They're doing a 55 Bel Air also, mini tubs, big block, and a two tone.
Delete my profile

xs29j8Bullitt

EXCELLENT PROGRESS!  I thought my C500 was progressing well, but your project is really taking off!

I have started a folder for Black Horse... keep the pictures coming!  :popcrn:

XS
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

BB1

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm sure your having as much fun as I am right now; love your 500.  :2thumbs:

Maybe we can inspire more people to just get it done. Parts have never been so easy to acquire.
So if it's a high dollar resto or low buck resto, at least your doing something positive.

:yesnod: Vote Charger in 08.  :nixon:
Delete my profile

RD

Quote from: BB1 on December 30, 2007, 02:16:06 PM
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'm sure your having as much fun as I am right now; love your 500.  :2thumbs:

Maybe we can inspire more people to just get it done. Parts have never been so easy to acquire.
So if it's a high dollar resto or low buck resto, at least your doing something positive.

:yesnod: Vote Charger in 08.  :nixon:

yeah,... but when a primered 73 RR with a wedge spanks his butt in the 1/4 mile... will I get any accolades.. no.. instead they will chastise me and ostracize me back into the corner for being a bad, bad wedge owner  :smilielol:

hehe... we need to set a date and place for the inaugural hemi a55 whoopin by a wedge dont we? hehehehe  :D :naughty: :stirthepot:

BB1

I'm glad your confidence is so high, or might I say "what have you been smoke'nnn."  :smoke:

Here is a visual RD's Wedge==>  :spank: BB's Hemi Rock'en===> :ricky:

How about a contest on DC.com  :scratchchin:

The DC member who comes closest to our best 1/4 mile times, will wins something. Or just a betting pool, loser buys the beer.  :cheers:

:D Muaahahahhahahaaaaa
Delete my profile

RD

sounds good to me... and no NOS... its naturally aspirated or your mama wheres combat boots!

BB1

I have been waiting for almost a year for something to brake loose on my Charger.
As you know it is still at the body shop with nothing done to it since Feb.
This is not a bitch or a complaint, I know from you guys that this is the way body shops operate.
Hey, no problem I'm one year into a 3 year project. Many things have changed as the year went by, one is I bought and sold my 426 Hemi.
The reason is I can brake a 440 and replace it twice, for what the cost would be if I broke the Hemi once.

I purchased a 67 440 and a 727. Many mods will be put in both, including Edlebrock heads, stroker kit out to a 492ci, sprag, Hemi drum, shit kit, ext. This is the last thing that will be done.

The interior is basically done, my seats look real nice; I have all the door panels' upper door pads, buddy seat.
I still need a back seat though, not a priority right now, just would like to have one.

All the rear suspension as been purchased, every thing is new from Mancini Racing, SS springs, all the plates and hangers, torque boxes, frame connectors, are in house.

I called Bill at Reilly Motor Sports inc. He can make my Alterktion suspension in 3 weeks, with free UPS shipping.
I'm plan to drag race the Charger for many years, the adjustability with a softer springs will help it off the line.
Also rack & pinion is nicer than the heavy original steering.

Since the bad economic news, the body shop is getting really thin on work. He wants to get started on my Charger. I asked him what he needed; he said he wants to put it on its wheels and work on it on the frame table.
This is a computerized laser accurate unit that brings the body back to factory measurements. Then all the frame rails, torque boxes, can be welded in.
I will also have a 6 or 8 point roll cage.

Both full quarters and door skins as you know are from Classic Body Design, they don't have the front fenders made yet, but I am high on their list for getting them.
We're using old fenders to line up the bodylines for now, I don't know how well the rest of the panels will line up, I hope there are close enough.

So, as thing look now he will have it on wheels, painted back to it's original color (black) by the end of winter.
Next year hopefully it will go quicker, as the base body will be completed, then all the jewelry will be hung.

I'll keep you informed.

Thanks for your visit.  :icon_smile_wink:
Delete my profile

moparstuart

cool glad they are going to work on it again

look forward to updates

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69*F5*SE

Yes, I can't wait to see it with the new quarters, door panels etc. from CBD. Ron's body panels are literally stamped right down the street from my house by a place called Flex n Gate. I could walk there in 10 minutes. Pretty cool.   Ted

RD

tell the truth.. he was afraid of my 440 muwhahahhahahhahahahaha

moparstuart

got a 68-69 block 440 ?

no i need a 69 charger motor but it was build in nov 68 , I need a motor

BB1

1967, the same year my Charger was built. I have been running around Nebraska for parts, and next week Iowa.

I see RD, we will have to up the stakes when we face off.  :pity: :mrt:
It's just for fun right... or for pinks.  :D

Tell Ron I'm waiting.  :lol: Get-R-Done.
Delete my profile

BB1

I've been working at the body shop getting things ready to mount the 1/4's new door skins.

Look at the picture, this is the crappy way to wield a 1/4 to any car especially a Charger.

The morons cut the old 1/4 off right at the very top of the panel. There is no way to get the original top bend to look good when you do this.

Now I have 2 new full quarters going on, the pictures show the POS paper 1/4.
The door jam was cut the same way, hence we have no place to index the new 1/4  to find the original position.

We lined up the old fender and the old doors to the pos 1/4 and there way off.  :brickwall:
Fortunately I have the right guys to do it, they have over 100 years between them doing body work. They are really good.
We're mocking up the suspension to put a load on the frame, so as to keep all the gaps
where they need to be.
The whole Charger will go on a frame table to make sure it is dead on straight.

When done, the only original sheet metal to this Charger will be the roof, hood and trunk maybe.

The whole rear suspension is Mancini Super Stock springs hanger and shackles.

Thanks too,

XV Motorsports-for the radiator brace

Classic Body Design-for 1/4 and door skins

Auto Metal Direct- for the one piece cabin floor and extensions + 18 gauge rockers, right outer wheel house.

atownautoservices-ebay for the 70 Coronet front clip with suspension including the K.

moparleo-ebay rebuilt door hinges

lloydslit-ebay 68 Service manual

Mancini- rear suspension, frame connectors, rearend brace

Ebay guy for all 4 torque boxes, they are thicker.

Texas Acers- torsion bar frame under the seats.

My body shop who I have confidence in. It has been over a year but it's still the same price as it was then.

;D

The price??? who cares.

An no rust on my SS springs, Tony.  :smilielol:

Delete my profile

BB1

This is a resto-mod and as nice as it will look, I will drag race it, road race it maybe Bullrun it till the wheels come off.

My engine is a 492 wedge, hooked to a 727 race modified eventually gear vendor overdrive. An 8 3/4 will hold 4:10 to 2:76
6 point cage with a 5 point harness.

Drilled and slotted rotors 11'
TTI exhaust
Safety fuel tank that will keep me from burning up, and a fireproof body suit for me.

Thanks to Mike for restoring my gauge cluster, can't wait to see it.
Delete my profile

BB1

When the body is done, I will have the old sheet metal for sale cheap.

Some could be used for patch panels, there is no rust on any of it.

The cab floor: with a 4-speed hump
Both quarters: I think are AMD
Door skins: original
Rockers: original

Here is a picture of the 70 front clip.
Firewall is good
Radiator support is good
Front frame rails are in nice shape
Cowl area

I'm going to need some odds and ends off of it.

I'll post them in the for sale area after body is done.
Delete my profile

moparstuart

PocketThunder

Back seat will be on the way early next week.. Glad i could help. :yesnod:

Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BB1

Delete my profile

moparstuart

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 22, 2008, 04:34:47 PM

Paul
you selling parts out of my car  :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:

Back N Black

Quote from: BB1 on November 21, 2008, 08:29:07 PM

This is a resto-mod and as nice as it will look, I will drag race it, road race it maybe Bullrun it till the wheels come off.

My engine is a 492 wedge, hooked to a 727 race modified eventually gear vendor overdrive. An 8 3/4 will hold 4:10 to 2:76
6 point cage with a 5 point harness.

Drilled and slotted rotors 11'
TTI exhaust
Safety fuel tank that will keep me from burning up, and a fireproof body suit for me.

Ok, here's my question, how do you get a Charger on a work bench? Nice work BTW.  :2thumbs:

BB1

Quote from: moparstuart on November 22, 2008, 06:24:14 PM

Paul
you selling parts out of my car  :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:

:nana: :lol:

They have a lift and that's how they put it on the body dolly.
Delete my profile

PocketThunder

Quote from: moparstuart on November 22, 2008, 06:24:14 PM

Paul

nope, i have two sets of back seats..  :yesnod:   :icon_smile_big:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger-Bodie

What do you plan on using from the 70 front clip?

There are differances.  :yesnod:

BB1

Quote from: 1hot68 on November 22, 2008, 09:10:54 PM

There are differences.  :yesnod:

K-member
Upper lower control arms
Spindles
I need a shock tower of the left side
Inner fender?

Are they good parts for a 68 Charger? The rest of it I'm selling off.

Delete my profile

BB1

Let me know guys if there is anything that I can add to it at this stage.

This is just a mock up to see how things will fit.

Thanks  ;)
Delete my profile

BB1

Because of some interesting findings... (link below), some of your ideas, and running out of money for anything else, I have decided to restore my Charger to a somewhat stock appearing, cruiser.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52100.0.html

Y'all dig it right?

This is a lesson in flexibility, persistence, and patients. knowing what you want might not be what you like after all is said and done.

I respect the Dodge Charger name in all it's form. Whether it be XL XP XS or the big J-Hemi, Shelby, LX Charger.
Dodge made the Charger cool so did movies and TV shows, but the essence is in it's primary soul, which is something you can't change.

It's the man (forgot name) in front of his drafting board with a pencil that we honor.

A-men brother.

Now that's deep thinking.  :nana:

So this is what I got today for $600.

1970 383 Magnum never rebuilt out of a 70 Roadrunner. It ran good when he pulled it.
Water pump + housing
Motor mounts / flex plate
headers *I'm not using them*
2 15X 6 1/2 wheels and tires
Charger rear bumper
Wheel lip moldings
Chunk 3.23 open
Hub caps, dinged up
Engine stand

-------------------------------
P/S pump
Alt, starter just use them a cores

I am still building the beefy "Hemi" under frame or what I call super R/T undercover. Nobody will see that.  :whistling: Yeah... it's stock.

A sick stroker will have to wait for now.

I'm missing a lot of cool summer events, so just getting it to move under its own power will make me happy for now.

There is also a Green vert Super Bird that keeps running around here, I gota catch him.  :D

Delete my profile

moparstuart

Quote from: BB1 on January 06, 2009, 08:07:46 PM
Because of some interesting findings... (link below), some of your ideas, and running out of money for anything else, I have decided to restore my Charger to a somewhat stock appearing, cruiser.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52100.0.html

Y'all dig it right?

This is a lesson in flexibility, persistence, and patient. knowing what you want might not be what you like after all is said and done.

I respect the Dodge Charger name in all it's form. Whether it be XL XP XS or the big J-Hemi, Shelby, LX Charger.
Dodge made the Charger cool so did movies and TV shows, but the essence is in it's primary soul, which is something you can't change.

It's the man (forgot name) in front of his drafting board with a pencil that we honor.

A-men brother.

Now that's deep thinking.  :nana:

So this is what I got today for $600.

1970 383 Magnum never rebuilt out of a 70 Roadrunner. It ran good when he pulled it.
Water pump + housing
Motor mounts / flex plate
headers *I'm not using them*
2 15X 6 1/2 wheels and tires
Charger rear bumper
Wheel lip moldings
Chunk 3.23 open
Hub caps, dinged up
Engine stand

-------------------------------
P/S pump
Alt, starter just use them a cores

I am still building the beefy "Hemi" under frame or what I call super R/T undercover. Nobody will see that.  :whistling: Yeah... it's stock.

A sick stroker will have to wait for now.

I'm missing a lot of cool summer events, so just getting it to move under its own power will make me happy for now.

There is also a Green vert Super Bird that keeps running around here, I gota catch him.  :D

MEEP MEEP  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Mopar2Ya

Quote from: BB1 on November 23, 2008, 06:24:09 AM

K-member
Upper lower control arms
Spindles
Inner fender?

The '70 K-member is different, but I think it still fits?  :shruggy:

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

BB1

Quote from: Mopar2Ya on January 06, 2009, 09:10:42 PM
Quote from: BB1 on November 23, 2008, 06:24:09 AM

K-member
Upper lower control arms
Spindles
Inner fender?

The '70 K-member is different, but I think it still fits?  :shruggy:

I have it bolted up now with no problems. 2 gens k-frames should all be the same.  :shruggy:

I would love to find a BB1 68 Super Bee or 68 Roadrunner. Don't know if the paint code is the same for Plymouth.

Picture of a black Super Bee? anyone anyone?
Delete my profile

BB1

Delete my profile

69*F5*SE

Not a bad stretch of motor and parts for $600   :2thumbs:  Ted

BB1

Thanks 69

The guy had a really nice GL and a B5 70 Roadrunner 4-speed N96.

I am going to take the engine apart, but leave the short block together.
Clean the heads and pistons of carbon, new timing chain, new cam and lifters, push rods, valve job, oil pump, all new gaskets and painted 68 turquoise.
It should run fine like that.

I'll be look for a house so I need a good down payment. The 440 can wait.
:2thumbs:
Delete my profile

moparstuart

Quote from: BB1 on January 07, 2009, 10:36:05 AM
Thanks 69

The guy had a really nice GL and a B5 70 Roadrunner 4-speed N96.

I am going to take the engine apart, but leave the short block together.
Clean the heads and pistons of carbon, new timing chain, new cam and lifters, push rods, valve job, oil pump, all new gaskets and painted 68 turquoise.
It should run fine like that.

I'll be look for a house so I need a good down payment. The 440 can wait.
:2thumbs:
I have found  that the stock push rods are the best (reasonable)  out there , just reuse them dont waste your money .   Well check yours anyway .

BB1

Placing a threads here as a continuing story of the build, and for others that have bad body shop experiences.

Be aware of what people promise, ask for references, don't pay any money upfront, inspect work, do not just leave it there.
I'm a year behind now and mad as hell, which cause me to almost sell it all.

It's a dam epidemic.  :flame:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,53113.0.html

Moving on...  :vert:

T-6 weeks until I move BB1 to the West coast.

I will be going by Larry @ LPL Body Works in Amarillo, Texas for an estimate. He wrote the book Project Charger, with a 70 Charger on the front cover.

Then I'll store it until I can pay off all my credit cards, which could take another year.

Moving pictures to come... and pics of Larry's shop. 

Excelsior!

A used 6.1 Hemi is coming down in price, I will make it my choice of engine and trans for my Charger.
Delete my profile

69*F5*SE

I have the Project Charger book.  Larry's got to be a trustworthy guy.  I'm sure things will turn out better.  Hold on to your dream. I know that easy to say. Good luck with your move. Pics, pics, pics.   :yesnod:

BB1

Yes, I've talked to Larry already, he sounds like a great guy.
I get the impression he is very old school and has a very successfully bodyshop business for decades.
He doesn't toot his own horn like the loser I had before. Beware of tooters.  ;)

He has a waiting list which I knew he had. That's cool I have to recover from $*&^%*$&@ hole experience I have in Kansas.

Can't wait to meet him.

Delete my profile