News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

BB1's 68 Charger Restoration thread *(Update 02/13/09)*

Started by BB1, December 10, 2007, 01:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB1

This thread is titled, "The Year of the 68 Charger" it will be full of photos, and stories about getting my Charger on the road in the year of 2008.

Also it is a total focus for one year of all my money, work, and off time to finish the best Dodge Charger I could ever think of.   

First a little back ground....
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,23609.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37249.msg409441.html#msg409441

Who am I:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/836223

Greeting fellow DC members, guests and Mafia members,

In Feb 2007, I found my Charger on ebag. It was sitting in a farmers field rusting away, I like many of you, was not going to stand letting another Charger rot away.
So I grabbed it knowing that it was a 383 727, and nothing else.

It came with a vin and a f-tag and a title from 1986.
When I got it home, I contacted the famous DodgeCharger.com for help. It turn out to be a special ordered 2X Black car with some cool codes. One was an 5 speakers 8-track, with cruse control, A/C, ps pb.

The body man,
I found him while I was driving to a shop to get my mower blade sharpened. Just a hole in the wall shop that worked on everything muscle car, and it was just down the block from my house.
Fred has been doing this work for 25 years and is an expert paint and body man. The Charger was going to his shop, because I felt he would be able to make it the way I wanted it. That was very important to me.
He as now expanded to a bigger shop and has his people working with the coolest tools, like a new frame table, spot welder, lifts, paint booth, rotisseries, mig welder.

Me,
I will be the parts man on this. I will have Fred and company build the Charger to my specifications.
I work 84 hours a week (yes 84 hours), and don't have time to turn a wrench on it.
This way I will have the money, and still have a hand in it, and it will be done faster.

You have a hand in it too; I hope you can help me with info to get it finished and fired up.

It will have a 426 Hemi/ Hemi 4 speed/ 4.10 Dana 60.
The frame will be tied together and have a NHRA role cage. I love drag racing, so it will have maybe a 4 link or SS springs, light weight k member, 4 wheel disks brakes.

Lots of parts I have to think about.

Interior will be stock black along with the original 68 paint code BB1 which is Black.

I will keep you informed.

Over and out.  :patriot:

PS: The Charger is out of the strippers, but since the weather is very bad, it will be a week before it is moved back to the shop.

Hemi is safe, location not disclosed.  :whistling:

Out.
Delete my profile

RD

I would like to help, please send the Hemi to Jamey Hancock... blah blah for safekeeping (and the occasional flogging when it is put in my charger).

sounds awesome! keep us posted on the build... oh ... WHERE ARE THE PICS? lol
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

BB1

They're in the other threads, but I will have plenty when he's back from the blasters.

:nana:
Delete my profile

BB1

I went to see if I could figure out who built it, and I did.

It is an authentic Indy 426 Hemi 1-Legend 540 hp 500 lb-ft or torque, here is the artical. I'm calling Indy and give them my numbers to see what this engine did. They probably have a data sheet that I would love to have, dyno pulls and torque numbers too.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0607_hemi_engine_challenge/index.html

Said it can run on 92 pump gas,  :scratchchin:

Not bad for craigslist.  :coolgleamA:
Delete my profile

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

BB1

Delete my profile

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: RD on December 10, 2007, 02:53:18 PM
I would like to help, please send the Hemi to Jamey Hancock... blah blah for safekeeping (and the occasional flogging when it is put in my charger).

sounds awesome! keep us posted on the build... oh ... WHERE ARE THE PICS? lol
See, this is the thing about this forum, we have the nicest people offering to help others.  So sweet.  :angel:  kinda makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

T3/RT

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi Conv.
2005 Chrysler 300C
2010 Dodge Challenger SRT

BB1

Here are the engine stats from Indy...
426 1-Legend 540hp 500lb-ftPrice from Indy is $18000. I saved 5500. off the original price.  :2thumbs:

http://www.indyheads.com/images/price3.pdf
Delete my profile

tommymac

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

gordo1968charger

I work 84 hours a week (yes 84 hours)

join the club!!!! :2thumbs:
i ve just got an invite to the red bull christmas party. :lol:
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: gordo1968charger on December 12, 2007, 12:09:48 PM

I hear ya guys - I am currently averaging 90 hours a week while attending school full time  ---  Red Bull Xmas party eh?  :scratchchin:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

keepat

Your Hemi looks Awesome! Note I don't think the oil pan will fit in your 68 Charger?
Pat

BB1

Quote from: keepat on December 12, 2007, 10:31:02 PM

Your Hemi looks Awesome! Note I don't think the oil pan will fit in your 68 Charger?
Pat

Thanks; Yeah, I plan on changing it to a Milondon Pan. Although we pulled the engine out of a 68 Charger.  :ahum:

Quote from: gordo1968charger on December 12, 2007, 12:09:48 PM

To think normal people work 40 hours *sheees*.

Thanks Tommy & Bronze

I think I'll put a big bow on the Hemi and send it out as a Christmas card.  :lol:
Delete my profile

RD

i work 40... 4, 10 hour shifts so I can have friday's off to comb junkyards :D muwahahhahahahaha

oh and bring that hemi to the track next year.. i wanna see how my 73 RR stacks up to it.  We may have to put a keg on it for a wager  :nana:

wedge vs. hemi

ron will love this
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

BB1

Bring it on RD, I take on all comers.

Even Hybrids.  :lolexplode: :boogie:

RD-v-BB =  :cheers: for all.
Delete my profile

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

firefighter3931

Quote from: RD on December 12, 2007, 11:57:45 PM

oh and bring that hemi to the track next year.. i wanna see how my 73 RR stacks up to it.  We may have to put a keg on it for a wager  :nana:

wedge vs. hemi

ron will love this
Quote from: BB1 on December 13, 2007, 11:04:22 AM
Bring it on RD, I take on all comers.

Even Hybrids. :lolexplode: :boogie:

RD-v-BB = :cheers: for all.

Cool....nuthing like a friendly Wedge vs Hemi (heads up) shootout  :2guns:

You guys need to get this on video when it happens !  :cheers:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

BB1

Maybe I'll slip in some Nossssss FF.  :D

No pics yet, it is going to snow and stay cold for awhile. We don't want to transport the naked Charger on salty roads.

Plans:
I am now going with an Alterktion front suspension. It will keep everthing out of the way of the headers,
plus give me a lighter front end and a smooth ride.
Also I plan on drag racing it, just like my old high school Charger. I just love that feeling of coming to the lights and launching it like a rocket.

http://www.moserengineering.com/Pages/Axles/customalloy.html
For my Dana 60 with 4.10
SS springs in the back, with slicks.

I could put my Hemi in a Dart or Barracuda, but then again I'm a dedicated Charger nut.  :coolgleamA:

4 wheel disk, not sure what brand yet.

727 with a stall converter. Don't know yet what that is. Trans kit for shifting and a some kind of shifter?

I need to dl the NHRA rules, to be legal on the strip at events.

Would like a dodgecharger.com letters spelled out on the back window.

I think I will name him Black Horse

Here are some winter projects, that I will be restoring.

Delete my profile

BB1

Black Horse is back from the strippers.

Remember, both 1/4 and the floor where replaced already, but they where done by an amateur.  :brickwall:
Good for some but not good enough for a Black painted Charger.

They will be replaced again with full quarters, and the pan around the trans replace back to an automatic.

I will try and salvage the sheet metal and sell them whom ever wants it.

The only original sheet metal to this Charger is the roof, cowl, doors and inner fenders, that's it.

Ok now you can look.  :popcrn:  ;)   Total cost is $950.

Hint, there is a 67 Shelby Mustang next to me, one of 10 ever built.
Delete my profile

BB1

Pure metal no primer or anything.  :o
Delete my profile

BB1

:scratchchin:
Delete my profile

BB1

:icon_smile_cool:
Delete my profile

Charger-Bodie

Looks good other some yahoo going hog wild with the seam sealer! :brickwall:

what 1/4s are you getting for it? the ones from Lushia or are you waiting for AMD?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............