News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rarity?

Started by Drache, July 25, 2005, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

This is why I'd like to know all the stats on the 74 '68/383/2bbk/4spd Chargers that were built. I'm wondering if any of them had the TT-1 green and the Inland shifter. Considering that combo I may actually have a 1 of 1 car also.

Lostsheep

Quote from: Troy on July 25, 2005, 07:29:52 PM
Quote from: 6T9_CHARGER_RT on July 25, 2005, 07:26:58 PM
Mine! :no:

PS any one else notice that Draches' post count keeps resetting?

Shhhhhhhhhhh :slap:

Troy

Drache

Quote from: Drache on July 27, 2005, 06:55:15 PM
Man this is almost turning into a cat fight lol!

Ok let's do it like this:

List the most rarest optioned car for each year then!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

psykicpup

my daughter & boyfriend 'Sunny Sunday'

DFPA and proud of it!

Ghoste

Pistols at sunrise?

PlumBad70

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on July 27, 2005, 07:13:42 PM
Quote from: Badbob on July 25, 2005, 10:10:27 PM
69 4speed with a sunroof, 1 of 1. In my garage. ::)

Bob, not that I doubt you, but at the Atlantic Nats this year I over heard a couple message board guys talking to Galen, and they mentioned that "badbob" says he has a 1 of 1 '69 Charger. I tell no lie, Galen said to them that he has a "few others on file, so it's No 1 of 1". That's what I actually witnessed. I know the 2 guys that frequent the boards, so it's legit. This also shows that Galen does check the Mopar sites.

Theres actaully a 69 4 speed sunroof where I live, The guy never takes it out...hopefully he will take it out next weekend at a show..thats where I saw it last year..I will get all the info from the guy
Steve
1970 Charger R/T Sublime
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi 4x4

Drache

Quote from: Ghoste on July 28, 2005, 05:59:26 PM
Pistols at sunrise?

This would be one large pistol battle!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

69_500

How many of you guys actually get excited though when you hear that a car is a 1 of 1? I mean really lets think about it. You can almost take any Charger built in any year and if you break down the exact options and codes on every car, then every Charger would be like 1 of 50 or something like that.
Take for instance there is a ton of 1969 T7 bronze Chargers correct. But say yours has tan interior, console, power windows, rear window defroster, a/c, cruise control, luggage rack, and is stripe delete. Now how many T7 R/T's were built in 69? Not sure exactly but I'm sure if you broke down every option on these cars that car would wind up being like a 1 of 10. And say if that car had power steering but manual breaks, it could become a 1 of 1.

bull

Quote from: 69_500 on July 28, 2005, 07:35:06 PM
How many of you guys actually get excited though when you hear that a car is a 1 of 1? I mean really lets think about it. You can almost take any Charger built in any year and if you break down the exact options and codes on every car, then every Charger would be like 1 of 50 or something like that.
Take for instance there is a ton of 1969 T7 bronze Chargers correct. But say yours has tan interior, console, power windows, rear window defroster, a/c, cruise control, luggage rack, and is stripe delete. Now how many T7 R/T's were built in 69? Not sure exactly but I'm sure if you broke down every option on these cars that car would wind up being like a 1 of 10. And say if that car had power steering but manual breaks, it could become a 1 of 1.

Right you are. So where does one draw the line? Galen seems to take into account only the major items such as drivetrain combinations, including the carburetor. If people start microanalyzing every single option there's little doubt we would have several 1 of 1 cars out there. I'm betting mine is probably a 1 of 1 car if I consider every feature not offered on a base Charger. It's one of 74 according to Galen but how about the TT-1 paint? That right there probably cuts it down to 1 of 20. Then you consider it has an Inland four speed shifter, say 1 of 10 now. It has a rear speaker fader option which probably makes it one of 4 (but only among the TT-1 green cars). It's got a black interior, manual drum brakes, power steering, no vinyl top and a console. Chances are my car is 1 of 5 or fewer. But as far as the certification goes it's still considered 1 of 74. Basically, like it or not, Galen has made himself the authority on this issue and that's about all we have to go on.

69_500

He is far from the only resource we have to go on. He is a great help to the hobby in some regards, but everyone thinking he is the only source for information is also hurting this hobby greatly too.

IBsmokin

Drache I think you just like causing trouble!!!  you big trouble maker you!!!

Chargerguy74

Quote from: smasherofall on July 27, 2005, 12:05:18 PM
I'm close to that, just 4bbl though:

That's odd how it's a coupe, with a 440 N96. Must be 1 of 1
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Ghoste

That's what the Marti report does for Fords.  He breaks it down so finely that his last line will ultimately be, "and this is that car".

bull

Quote from: 69_500 on July 28, 2005, 10:06:57 PM
He is far from the only resource we have to go on. He is a great help to the hobby in some regards, but everyone thinking he is the only source for information is also hurting this hobby greatly too.

Far from the only source? Can you list 20 other venues of Mopar verification for us? Can you list 2?

Ghoste

If you want to pay for it, shops such as Roger Gibson's are just as capable.  If you don't want to pay for it, and don't mind doing some leg work, there is no reason someone in this hobby for a reasonable length of time can't do it himself.  If you don't want to pay and you are new to the hobby, there are a number of experts in various marks that can be found through different registries.
Don't kid yourself, Galen frequently makes use of those same resources and then takes the credit.  That's his big advantage is that by writing for magazines, he has a national outlet to demonstrate his "knowledge and expertise".  It's easy for people to mistake that for being the sole outlet.

Drache

Quote from: IBsmokin on July 28, 2005, 10:22:07 PM
Drache I think you just like causing trouble!!!   you big trouble maker you!!!

Yeah I do! Someone else started the '06 Charger thread though before I did!  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

69_500

Can i sight 20 other sources. Sure there is more than 20 specific car clubs for various models and years. When you break things down there is always going to be 1 person or a group of people who are more knowledgeable about a particular car than Galen is. I will lay my life savings down that I know of at least 5 people who could tell you ten fold the information about winged cars than Galen can.
As far as other cars go, look at the information in the T/A and AAR Registry. They know more about those cars than Galen does. There was a debate lately about how the Registry is actually the one who discovered a wrong car, not Galen, but yet he took credit for it in his magazine article.
So yes there are many other sources that are very valuable in this hobby. Galen came along way after a ton of other people. I don't recall anyone mentioning Galen's name until the late 80's, and there was plenty of people with facts and figures long before that. People have been decoding fender tags, and buildsheets since the days these cars were new. Its not difficult, all the decode information is listed straight in a Dealer Data Book. It isn't brain surgery.

bull

Quote from: 69_500 on July 29, 2005, 06:05:37 PM
Can i sight 20 other sources. Sure there is more than 20 specific car clubs for various models and years. When you break things down there is always going to be 1 person or a group of people who are more knowledgeable about a particular car than Galen is. I will lay my life savings down that I know of at least 5 people who could tell you ten fold the information about winged cars than Galen can.
As far as other cars go, look at the information in the T/A and AAR Registry. They know more about those cars than Galen does. There was a debate lately about how the Registry is actually the one who discovered a wrong car, not Galen, but yet he took credit for it in his magazine article.
So yes there are many other sources that are very valuable in this hobby. Galen came along way after a ton of other people. I don't recall anyone mentioning Galen's name until the late 80's, and there was plenty of people with facts and figures long before that. People have been decoding fender tags, and buildsheets since the days these cars were new. Its not difficult, all the decode information is listed straight in a Dealer Data Book. It isn't brain surgery.

True. There are 'sources' but not names. I've never heard the name of an organization or individual that is known nationwide as being an authority on this topic (maybe Barret-Jackson has their own certification process but they probably use Galen's books as one of their sources). And if you're selling a car to someone on the other side of the country, overseas or at a place like Barrett-Jackson a certificate from Joe Blow's Car Club won't hold much water compared to the name Galen Govier. I'm not a Galen groupie, and I'm not that excited about the position he's put himself in, but for better or worse he was smart enough to publish books on the topic and therefore has placed himself at the helm. I also know three or more people that know as much or more about Mopars as Galen but they don't have their name on any publications to lend worldwide credibility to their expertise. And that's the difference between a guy everyone's heard of and our 3-5 friends. No matter which of the five guys we name I'm betting most people in the national Mopar community have never heard of them. Well, maybe Chryco.  :icon_smile_big:

69_500

Depends on who your selling your car to. To me, if i see that Galen has "certified" a car, that doesn't mean a can of spit to me. I will still check the car over myself, and call other people and ask if they know anything about a particular car.
As far as names, people in the wing cars all know Doug Schellinger, and Dave Patik, both of whom i'd trust far more than Galen when it comes to wing car information.

bull

Quote from: 69_500 on July 29, 2005, 06:51:22 PM
Depends on who your selling your car to. To me, if i see that Galen has "certified" a car, that doesn't mean a can of spit to me. I will still check the car over myself, and call other people and ask if they know anything about a particular car.
As far as names, people in the wing cars all know Doug Schellinger, and Dave Patik, both of whom i'd trust far more than Galen when it comes to wing car information.

Galen's certification doesn't mean much to me either but it would hold water if I were selling my Charger at Barrett-Jackson or to a guy in Canada or Texas. If I were selling locally I could probably get a blessing from the president of the Portland Chrysler R/T Club but that wouldn't mean jack squat to buyers 100 miles out. I've never heard of Doug Schellinger or Dave Patik but they, you and I have all heard of Galen. That's the point I'm trying to make.

69_500

I know the point your trying to make about everyone having heard of Galen. However the point i'm trying to make is that he isn't all that he is cracked up to be. The only reason people know who he is, is because of his magazine articles over the years.
As far as him writing those white books. Well I don't know how he gets away with saying he came up with how to decode fender tags and such. When the codes were all listed in Dealer Data books anyways. So wouldn't that information be copywritted by Chrysler?

69_500

I hope you don't think I'm trying to argue anything with you bull. If you think that I appologize. I'm just trying to get the point out that there are plenty of other people who can do the same service for you. Just in case there is someone reading this, that is considering using his service, they might read this and find a way to get the same information for free.

bull

No, I think we agree that it depends on how you're selling your car. If you are shooting for the moon and top-dollar prices with national and/or international advertising it might make a lot of sense to have Galen certify your car because it will mean something to someone somewhere. However, most people don't worry about it because pretty much any Mopar expert or semi-expert can run the numbers and figure it out. I just know from my own experience of shopping for Chargers that when I took my Mopar expert buddy along on two hunts both he and the sellers (other local Mopar experts) all whipped out their Galen books to compare notes when we were looking at the cars. Maybe it's just because the white books fit so nicely into their back pockets, I don't know, but all three of the guys used the books and yet all three admitted the books contain flaws. Go figure.

69_500

I know some people are willing to shell out more money due to Galen giving his okay to a car, however I'm just not one of them personally.
I don't own one of his white books, and don't ever intend to own one. I have looked one over before, and didn't see a whole lot that would be worth purchasing one for.
All of his stats, are of "known cars" as in cars that are regsiterd with him. If you have a 1 of 5 according to him, that is of known cars, not actually 1 of the 5 ever built, but 1 of 5 registered with him.

Drache

This is getting bad as some politcal threads! :D
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire