News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PCV setup

Started by 73-se, December 08, 2007, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73-se

Hello all,

My 400 has a breather instead of a pcv setup. I've searched these forums and what I've read leads me to believe I should put the pcv valve back on. My understanding is that this can be fed directly into the carb? Also, I'm having difficulty finding a valve that fits. The valve covers on the car are chrome, so probably not factory, and the hole is pretty large. There is a gasket that fits the breather in there, but all the pcv valves I can find are too small even with the gasket, and I can't find a gasket that makes up the difference. Is there something I'm missing? Or is there a special gasket I should have? Part No.s would be helpful, along with suggestions. It seems like it should be pretty straightforward but I get stumped easy I guess :brickwall:  Thanks for your help!

mally69

I have mine hooked in the back of my intake

squeakfinder

The suction side is at the intake.

I would think, that there would be a rubber grommet like on a stock valve cover for the pcv to plug into. If there is not. you can get one at a parts store where you got your pcv.

If this doesn't make any sense or I'm not understanding your problem, some pics of your set up would help.

Larry

Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

firefighter3931

Quote from: 73-se on December 08, 2007, 08:23:27 PM
Hello all,

My 400 has a breather instead of a pcv setup. I've searched these forums and what I've read leads me to believe I should put the pcv valve back on. My understanding is that this can be fed directly into the carb? Also, I'm having difficulty finding a valve that fits. The valve covers on the car are chrome, so probably not factory, and the hole is pretty large. There is a gasket that fits the breather in there, but all the pcv valves I can find are too small even with the gasket, and I can't find a gasket that makes up the difference. Is there something I'm missing? Or is there a special gasket I should have? Part No.s would be helpful, along with suggestions. It seems like it should be pretty straightforward but I get stumped easy I guess :brickwall:  Thanks for your help!

Does the engine have breathers on both valvecovers ? I've run then with 2 breathers many times w/o issue.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

73-se

Yes, its running breathers on both sides. Sorry if I wasn't very clear in my explanation.  I'm a little concerned after reading that the pcv is beneficial to valve seating, etc., particularly because this engine was recently rebuilt. I'd hate to damage the top end because it wasn't set up proper... or have my car impounded by an overzealous smog cop  :shruggy:

The problem I've run into is that the hole on the valve cover is about 1" maybe a little more, and all the pcv valves i can find are no bigger than 3/8". I just can't find a grommet that will make up the difference. should i plug the pcv into a breather, as a stepdown?  The passenger side is the correct side, right? LOL 

RD

do you have pictures of your valve covers?  are they the stock covers?  if they are, I can provide you with the part number for the correct PCV grommet.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

tecmopar

Not saying they are but I've seen quite a few el-cheapo chrome valve covers where finding the correct grommet for the PCV is a pain, post a pic or 2 and lets have a look.

hemihead

Sounds like aftermarket valve covers that don't use a PCV, just breathers.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

73-se

I think we have a winner... well, two anyway. El Cheapo aftermarket... yep. Just breathers, probably. That would explain the sizing on these things. Guess I'll have to live with it for a while because I don't have the money to replace the valve covers right now. Thanks for your help figuring out this enigma  :2thumbs: