News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

295 BFG T/As might be a thing of the past/ Anyone know of a source?

Started by bull, December 08, 2007, 04:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I called my friendly America's Tire dealer today to ask about the availability on the 295/50R15 RWL BFG T/As and among all their stores (which inclues Discount Tires) they have three. They are on backorder right now at BF Goodrich and may be discontinued. That kind of sucks as I was going to get a pair for the back of my '68 when it is finished.

Does anyone here know of a source for these tires? The guy I talked to said he's going to call Goodrich on Monday to find out more but I'm going to assume the worst: they are finished building that size. :'(

Just 6T9 CHGR

IIRC I had heard that they were discontinuing the whole radial T/A line.....hopefully I am wrong.. :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bull

Holy cow! Really? That sucks. You'd think they'd get enough business to at least make a minimum run for outfits like Summit and Jeg's. Kind of an odd time to drop the line with the muscle car boom pretty much at its apex right now. :image_294343:

The America's Tire guy told me they have plenty of 275/60R15s but no one's got any 295/50R15s. I may have to run Coopers. :shruggy:

Mike DC

They're morons for discontinuing that tire line. 

I can't believe that they're really not making enough money on those things to continue making them.  At least not in the most popular 15" sizes.  Seems like they must be changing them just for the sake of changing them.   

If they wanna improve the BFG RTAs so much, then they should rework the tires & just keep that name on the new ones.  Those tires are one of the few modern upgrade parts that still manages to hold an old-school vibe when you see it on a musclecar. 

Hemidog

This just sucks... my wheels are on the way, but still no sign of the BFG tires, and now it looks like i can just give up that idea.
Anyone got an opinion on the Kelly Charger wheels?

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: Hemidog on December 09, 2007, 02:48:26 PM
This just sucks... my wheels are on the way, but still no sign of the BFG tires, and now it looks like i can just give up that idea.
Anyone got an opinion on the Kelly Charger wheels?
I use to work for a tire dealer. Goodyear makes Kelly tires. I've ran them on my daily drivers for many years. They are a good tire. I like them better then Goodyears, plus they are cheaper.  :Twocents: I could make a few phone calls and see if them have any in the warehouse here. :shruggy:

Ghoste

Out of curiousity Jackie, what other lesser known brands are made by one of the tire giants?

71ChallengeHer

I called the Tire Store I used to work for. They don't have any of that size in any of their stores. Fran said they are either being discontinued or they are on back order. As far as other tires being made my the big brands. I know Michelin's are made by Goodyear also. I not sure about any others. I worked for a Kelly dealer.

bull

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on December 10, 2007, 09:43:09 AM
I called the Tire Store I used to work for. They don't have any of that size in any of their stores. Fran said they are either being discontinued or they are on back order. As far as other tires being made my the big brands. I know Michelin's are made by Goodyear also. I not sure about any others. I worked for a Kelly dealer.

The guy I talked to said back order. But that doesn't mean they're ever going to make more tires to fill those orders.

472 R/T SE

I currently have an expired set of Goodyears on the rear but they don't make the tire anymore.  I wanted something different besides BFG's because everyone runs them.  While at America's Tire getting the wife new rubbers  :D I tried pricing something in 295 or 305.  The only tire they can get is a "Road Hugger".  It's another tire made by Goodyear.

Chatt69chgr

Chryco Psycho

What wrong with Good Year , Dunlop , Coopers Hankooks , A dozen other makes that are as good or better than BFG
I had a customer with a set with less then 400 miles on them & the BFGS were 1/4 out of round with a step where the belts overlaped why do people thing BFG is even a decent tire ?

Ghoste

I think it's just the squared off shoulders make it look like a nice aggressive "muscle" tire.  It's more appearance than performance?

NMike

bull

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 11, 2007, 01:10:18 AM
What wrong with Good Year , Dunlop , Coopers Hankooks , A dozen other makes that are as good or better than BFG
I had a customer with a set with less then 400 miles on them & the BFGS were 1/4 out of round with a step where the belts overlaped why do people thing BFG is even a decent tire ?

It's the look and the tradition, Chryco. For me it's more than that though since I just bought a pair of Magnum 500 wheels that came with slightly-used BFG T/As for the front and I want to match them up in the back. Now I almost feel as if I need to run out and buy a pair of 275/60R15s just in case those go away too. I can't find any 295s for the life of me.

68RT4ME

I have a nearly new set of BFG's 295 50 15's mounted on a set of 15x10 rallies that I have stored away. I took them off my '71 about a year ago because I didn't care for the look and went to 15x8 275 60 15's for the back. I was thinking about selling the 295's and the rallies but now with this kind of thing looming, I'm thinking I should keep'em.
Since they are mounted already, my question is what would be the best way to store them so's to avoid dry rot or damaging them? They still have air in them. Is that ok or will moisture build up inside and hurt the life of the tires? Should I add something to the tire to prolong the lifespan?
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

472 R/T SE

I like this look, I think they're 295's and 255's.  The '95's are almost too much for a 7" wheel.  I liked the look of Blue after I put what I think were a set of '95's on.

bull

The guy I talked to was trying to tell me he thought 295s were too big for a 15x8 but I'm not buying it. The 15x8 is a good, versitile size and I don't like the look of the 15x10 Magnum 500s. Too much inward offset IMO. Remember this car, Mike?

bill440rt

According to the specs from Tire Rack, BFG recommends mounting their 295/50/15's on a 8" - 11" wide wheel.

BTW, they are also showing them on backorder!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

472 R/T SE

Yeah I remember that ride.  Never did see it again last summer.  Looks like a wonderful day for a car show.  :eyes:  I only like the steelies for factory wheels being widened.  :shruggy:

I may be wrong w/ the '95's but I remember kinda regretting it cause there was so much sidewall bulge, but it looked cool.  I can always ask Tom, he kept the wheels and tires off it and are on his Hemi Cuda.  I need to find out cause I got a set of torq thrust D's from him that were on his latest Hemi car.  They're 8.5"'s but 3.5" backspacing.  Don't know how that's gonna work.  I want that same look Blue had.

bull

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on December 13, 2007, 08:03:14 PM
Yeah I remember that ride.  Never did see it again last summer.  Looks like a wonderful day for a car show.  :eyes:  I only like the steelies for factory wheels being widened.  :shruggy:

I may be wrong w/ the '95's but I remember kinda regretting it cause there was so much sidewall bulge, but it looked cool.  I can always ask Tom, he kept the wheels and tires off it and are on his Hemi Cuda.  I need to find out cause I got a set of torq thrust D's from him that were on his latest Hemi car.  They're 8.5"'s but 3.5" backspacing.  Don't know how that's gonna work.  I want that same look Blue had.

There probably would be a lot of bulge with a 295 on a 15x8 rim, which might make the tire crown at the center. :-\ Ask Tom if you don't mind. I gotta make buds with him soon because I'll be installing my engine before too long. ;)

Steve P.

Hey Bull,

According to BFG the 295's have a suggested rim width of 8 - 10 ". That being said, from all I have ever known about tires, (and I have sold many brands), every manufacturer says the same thing. The best foot print and tread wear you will get from a given tire is by matching the wheel width with the tread width.

The 295 /50 15 has a tread width of 9.5". Therefore you will get the best traction and tread life from a 9.5 inch wide wheel.   This is not to say it MUST BE this way. But it is the recommendation from BFG, Michelin, Dean, Cooper, Kelly, FULDA,  Good Year, Yokahoma, MT,Continental and a host of others. Rule of thumb, keep the wheel width close to the tread width.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

bull

Hmm. I'll probably end up with 275s then 'cause I don't like the way 15x10 Magnum 500s look.

41husk

I had the same problem with the 73, I ended up going with the Firestone Indy 500, I like the look and I think the ride is at least as good as the BFG's on the 68.  I bought a set of BFG's for the Challenger a couple years ago, they are sitting in the basement.  They may dry rot before the chally is ready for them :brickwall:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

472 R/T SE

My mistake.  They were 75's on the 7" rim.  I always forget the 3 digit numbers have as much to do with the width size versus the 60 or 50 designation.  Even at 275 there was a lot of bulge.  I may "settle" for the '75's on my 8.5" wheels if I can't get the '95's or 305s.  The 3.5" backspace versus 4.5" may limit me.  :shruggy: