News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Living legends who need to be interviewed

Started by Ghoste, April 09, 2008, 11:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

This thought occured to me as I was reading a response to Magnumchargers thread on the Charger III.  Many of the automotive celebrities that we hold dear have a story to tell and none of us are going to live forever.  Who do you know local to you that was an important part of Mopar history?  It could be a racer, an engineer, a stylist or even an assembly line worker from back in the day.  An impossible dream maybe, but wouldn't it be nice to assemble a somewhat comprehensive video catalog of these people and some of their thoughts?  They all must live near somebody and it would be surprising how many of us know "somebody".  Sadly, I only live near former Ford hired guns and I'd still like to get their stories recorded but it wouldn't be of much interest here.
So who do you know?

Charger_Fan

As far as I know, there's nobody near me that was a major part of Mopar history.
There's a few Bonneville land speed folks around that's of interest, but not so much for the Mopar world.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Brock Samson

last yr. i met a retired Shelby American Test Driver, who told me stories about the early years of the '60s and hunting Vettes in the first Ford engined A.C.s. and later in the 427 Cobras all up and down Calif.

69_500

I don't know, but if you get me a list I'll gladly tape any interviews. :)

Tilar

I worked in a body shop for a short time in Tyler Texas, and the owner knew a guy that would come in from time to time and use our computers for a book he was working on. Anyway, This guy worked on the turbine car that Chrysler was developing back in the 60's. He told us all about the car and how upset he was when Chrysler came out and just scrapped the project. I don't remember his name right off hand but I could get it easy enough.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

69_500

Have actually talked to one of the Engineers' for all of the Turbine cars. Very interesting individual. However not at all excited by the posibility of sitting down to do an interview on camera though. But never the less, was about 12-16 hours worth of stories, and they were all good.

69_500

Saw the other thread where you mention Arlen Vanke. Have talked to him a couple of times about doing an interview, just haven't been able to work out a definate date yet. Also in the works of interviewing a non Mopar drag racing gentleman too. See if anyone can guess who it is, before I tell.

1 Hint.

They call him the "Farmer".

okay so that was too easy.

69_500

Guess it wasn't as easy as I thought. Either that or it was so easy that no one even thought they needed to write out a guess.

Ghoste

It's that Pontiac guy right?  Bezwood, or Bestick, or Bootsauce or something like that?  :icon_smile_wink:

I think everyone who cares knows who Arnie is.  When do you sit down with him?

69_500

Well in a round about way your right. Arnie is a good man to talk to. Had quite a few interesting stories in the few times we have already talked. I just haven't gotten around to doing a formal interview with the camera yet. Have talked to him probably 6 times already though. Great guy to communicate with, even if it was for the Pontiacs. I didn't know until recently that he had driven a Pontiac in Grand Nationals back in the 60's as well as drag raced. anyone else know that?

Ghoste

Not me, I've only ever known of him as a drag racer.  That's kind of interesting, any more details?

69_500

It was in 1962, in a Pontiac Catalina I believe. When I was up at an auction last year I got to talking to him about it again. I first met him 2 years ago at a show, and then again a few months after that at a national Pontiac meet (I know I know). I was filming the show for the group. Talked to him about what I do with interviews with other Dodge drivers from back in the day, and he said he would be more than happy to sit down and do something talking about the Pontiacs. He was the one that had the idea of trying to get 5-6 different drivers from the 60's/70's together as a big group discusssion of back in the day. Still trying to set that one up. It would include drivers from the Chevy camp, Pontiac's, Fords, Dodge and Plymouth. So should be a pretty interesting thing.