News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

something doesnt add up with my 68

Started by andyc, December 08, 2007, 02:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyc

Been some time since I visited, and thought I would  post  about my charger as it has some unusual features.

Before I restore it I thought I would try to trace some history.

I know that it is an August 1967 build car and that it should have been an Auto.
Problem is it has a few mods to the trans tunnel and was a manual at some time.It also has a clutch peddle mounting but no clutch peddle. I know that during the late 60s and early 70s period in drag racing, cars would be swapped from manual to automatic regularly allowing Super Stock cars to participate in twice the amount of brackets.

The rear wheel arches have been folded in to accomodate wider wheels.
The paint work in not original and has the style of a 70s paint job using 3 different colours.
  The car was origonally a 383 but now has an hp440 from 1967..I have been told.

Anybody have any ideas about it or recognise it?

andyc

some more pictures

andyc

andyc

Charger-Bodie

Dont quote me on this but I think Ive seen pics of that Charger on this site before  :scratchchin: I just cant remember where :brickwall:.......................what are youre plans for the Charger?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

andyc

Find out history first and then maybe restore it to stock looking like this one I found on this site which is same year and colour.

Brock Samson

Hi ya' AndyC,.. I've never seen the charger before,..  :scratchchin: "interesting" paint... makes me wonder what they were thinking...  :shruggy:
more pics of the interior and engine when ya' get the chance please...

andyc

Paint looks very 70s.
more photos

andyc

andyc

rt green

i really like the paint combo. there used to be a lot of cars out there with paint like that. ah.. the good old days. sure do miss 'em
third string oil changer

Magnumcharger

No fender Tag?
No broadcast sheet?
Does it have the clutch pivot bracket on the left frame rail?
Does it have the reverse light on the lower left dash?

It does have the big radiator and radiator support indicative of a manual transmission-equipped car.
But you're sure it's an automatic car?
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

TruckDriver

Quote from: rt green on December 08, 2007, 04:34:26 PM
i really like the paint combo. there used to be a lot of cars out there with paint like that. ah.. the good old days. sure do miss 'em
:iagree:

I love "old school" anythime over the new look customs.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

dukeboy_318

i kinda like it, its different looking and i love that shifter btw,  :yesnod:
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

BigBlackDodge

Looks like it has the gear selector on the column....automatic. Unless they changed the column for some strange reason.

BBD

69charger2002

yeah looks to have been a column shift auto.. very cool 70's paint job there.. i never get tired of looking at old school paint jobs.. wish i had been around to see them on the road back then
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Rack

The paint style is interesting. Not crazy about the colors though.

But I'm more of a dark color person. JMO

I do like the coloring style though.

bull

Quote from: andyc on December 08, 2007, 02:52:22 PM
Find out history first and then maybe restore it to stock looking like this one I found on this site which is same year and colour.

That's Dan's car, username 8WHEELER.

andyc

Yep the red one is 8 wheelers.....lovely!...It is the same colour as my one was originally.
Im trying to find the vin plate and US reg document.No broadcast sheet though.

terrible one

Quote from: 69charger2002 on December 08, 2007, 08:04:01 PM
yeah looks to have been a column shift auto.. very cool 70's paint job there.. i never get tired of looking at old school paint jobs.. wish i had been around to see them on the road back then
trav

My thoughts exactly!

andyc

I found the fender tag,

fender tag: xp29 61 5 43 818 096838

vin no :  xp29g8b108127

engine no 25364307  is not original as its a 440 not 383 although it is a 67 block I think

I think it is a 1967 made car.

It has a tacho clock which I am not sure is original.

It was purchased in mississipi from a guy called Holley in gulf port

Ghoste

You know though, the paint job has more of an 80's look to me?  :shruggy:

andyc

It definately has a manual peddle bracket and pin for the clutch and also a small brake peddle, to go with the column change for the auto box.There is also a hole in the trans tunnel for the manual shifter.