News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aftermarket Stereos

Started by Drache, March 29, 2011, 09:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drache

So some idiot had installed an aftermarket stereo in the dash of my car, and in doing so had to ruin one of the dash faces. Now I would like to get a new dash face section and instead hide the modern stereo face somewhere. Besides they the perfect foor panels for the doors were cut but that is something I'll worry about later.

My dart currently doesn't have a glove compartment box so I was thinking of mounting it in there and having a remote so when at car shows I can simply close the glove box door and the car would sort of look "stock" inside.

Any other ideas?
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Old Moparz

I think budget & desired sound quality are going to be your biggest factors.

What are you looking to play in the car, just the radio?  CD's?  Tapes?  MP3's?

What about a trunk mounted system with a remote?
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Drache

Quote from: Old Moparz on March 29, 2011, 09:16:39 AM
I think budget & desired sound quality are going to be your biggest factors.

What are you looking to play in the car, just the radio?  CD's?  Tapes?  MP3's?

What about a trunk mounted system with a remote?

I've already got the car stereo there in the Dart as well as 4 speakers already in the car. I generally load up my MP3 player and plug it into the car stereo.

Really it's just simply taking the stereo out of the dash and move it somewhere else.

A trunk mounted system can also work although Im not sure if my remote is powerful enough to reach the trunk  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Old Moparz

I tried mounting an aftermarket stereo in a glove box many years ago & gave up. I've seen people do it, but I think the chassis of the one I had was too large to clear things in the dash cavity. It's also a lot harder to reach when your driving, so keep that in mind. I ended up making a small, wooden, box to mount under the dash, painted it black & put the stereo in it. Not stock looking, but it was functional & easy to reach. It wasn't much bigger than the stereo itself.

These things are available now & don't look as crude as a home made housing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Under-Dash-Mount-Stereo-Radio-Housing-RV-Trailer-Marine-/370369784066?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item563bc26902
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Drache

Quote from: Old Moparz on March 29, 2011, 10:04:06 AM
I tried mounting an aftermarket stereo in a glove box many years ago & gave up. I've seen people do it, but I think the chassis of the one I had was too large to clear things in the dash cavity. It's also a lot harder to reach when your driving, so keep that in mind. I ended up making a small, wooden, box to mount under the dash, painted it black & put the stereo in it. Not stock looking, but it was functional & easy to reach. It wasn't much bigger than the stereo itself.

These things are available now & don't look as crude as a home made housing.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Under-Dash-Mount-Stereo-Radio-Housing-RV-Trailer-Marine-/370369784066?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item563bc26902

That's another option than can work as well, thanks!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

69bronzeT5

How do you guys feel about running an aftermarket CD player with original wiring :scratchchin:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic