News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Some scrap metal and a welder...

Started by six-tee-nine, December 06, 2007, 12:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

six-tee-nine

... and a few hours of spare time and we have an engine stand.

I know they don't cost a fortune but this one took me 4 / 5 hrs. tops and its totally free......... naahh i forgot the rattle can of silver paint i bought  :D

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

RD

cool.. is this your big block specific engine stand? :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

skip68

Will that hold a BB? Looks good but I would add a little more support. :yesnod:   :2thumbs:  Good job.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

six-tee-nine

I hope so but i'm planning on a steady tryout.... :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

bull

I'd test it with the washing machine first. :cheers:

Steve P.

Judging by the pics. you posted I have to say that I would NOT hang a motor on it. Of course I cannot tell how thick the steel is that you used, but your back bone is turned the wrong way. I'm not trying to be negative. I just want to keep you and yours safe. Looking at these pics. I have to think that a motor hung on there will fold your back bone right at the holes in the center.  I could be wrong, but I have had a factory made stand fold up with a dressed 440 on it and it was 3" x 4" thin wall steel with the back bone and legs turned width for strength.

When you test this stand, make sure you keep the chains on your cherry picker and everyone away from it..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

bull

Quote from: Steve P. on December 06, 2007, 01:52:29 PM
Judging by the pics. you posted I have to say that I would NOT hang a motor on it. Of course I cannot tell how thick the steel is that you used, but your back bone is turned the wrong way. I'm not trying to be negative. I just want to keep you and yours safe. Looking at these pics. I have to think that a motor hung on there will fold your back bone right at the holes in the center.  I could be wrong, but I have had a factory made stand fold up with a dressed 440 on it and it was 3" x 4" thin wall steel with the back bone and legs turned width for strength.

When you test this stand, make sure you keep the chains on your cherry picker and everyone away from it..

:iagree:

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

six-tee-nine

I tought of turning the backbone but imo the weldings are stronger in this position. About the steel, the tubes come from a forklift roof and are pretty thick.
I planned on a pair of extra backbone supports (towards the horizontal tubes) but left them behind to try this first.

@ Bull Bad idea, cuz if i scuff the washing machine my wife will probably make me wash everything by hand  :eek2:

Charger_Fan

The free part is cool...not trying to be nagative here, but...but I wouldn't put even a bare small block on that thing without welding on some more braces. See if you can snag some more scrap metal & OVER build the crap out of it. Make it look like you could hang a Kenworth engine on it. :icon_smile_cool:
Having an engine hit the ground is not a pretty sight. Been there once, it sucked. :'(

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

bull

supserdave

Be careful man, an engine to the leg is not a good combination! Hard to tell from the pictures but I don't think it looks strong enough.

Mopar440+6

Not bashing your design but I agree with these guys. As a senior year mechanical engineering student who has taken more "Strength of Materials" classes than one person should ever have to deal with, I don't think that stand will hold. Even with the thick wall material that upright is more than likely going to fail.

Assuming that a longblock 440 weighs between 500-700 lbs and is approximately 2 feet long and your spacer away from the upright is 6 inches long, you're putting a torque of roughly 1750 ft*lbs on the top of that upright. (See point 1 in the pic below.)

Also, even if the stand does hold the stationary weight of the engine it may fail if you make an attempt to move the stand. There is no lateral support for the upright so if you try to move the stand and one of the wheels catches on a groove, crack or rock on the ground the engine may lurch forward or backward and snap the upright completely off. (See point 2.)

Like I said, I'm not trying to put down your engine stand, in fact I give ya props for taking the time and making your own :2thumbs:. I'm just tryin to keep ya safe man. Hospital bills will cost way more than a few bux worth of steel tubing to reinforce that stand (If you want some ideas on the reinforcements PM me). I bounced my 383 off the ground because of a badly designed engine stand (Summit brand) and I can say from experience the sound of cast hitting concrete will make you sick if you don't get hurt.
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

The70RT

Looks nice and should be good for a 4cyl. the way it is. Would be good for a trans too.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Todd Wilson

I've seen motor stands built way more solid then that flex and sway when you get an engine on them. I've also seen motor stands have added pieces welded on them to try and make them stronger yet. All had heavier duty parts then what is there on that one.  Be very careful! Safety for you and your motor is important.

Todd

tkkruzer

what the heck, just bolt an engine on it and see, but I be willing to bet it will hold up anything yu'll put on it. looks good dude :2thumbs: Tom

terrible one

Quote from: Todd Wilson on December 07, 2007, 12:20:40 AM
I've seen motor stands built way more solid then that flex and sway when you get an engine on them. I've also seen motor stands have added pieces welded on them to try and make them stronger yet. All had heavier duty parts then what is there on that one.  Be very careful! Safety for you and your motor is important.

Todd

Yeah dude, my 383 shortblock with the heads on it on my 1000 lb. stand flexed it quite a bit. I'll never trust any of them anyways, I always keep a board under it for extra support. However, the 2,500 lb. stand my 509 is on didn't flex but about a half inch or so when I put that engine on there, as opposed to the 1,000 lb. stand going down a good 2 inches. You just have to think about how much weight is on that metal. Like holding a 50 lb. weight with your hand and arm fully extended away from you.

dpm68

Duh thats a dryer.   - Yes, but the best use of a dryer that I have seen for a long time. It reminds me of when I used to use my mom's deep-freeze for my model building station. Please be careful and brace the crap out of that stand, and don't forget to use the properly rated bolts when you go to put the motor on it.

Old Moparz

Got any Chebby friends ready to build a motor that can test it for you?    :D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

John_Kunkel

I would be reluctant to mount an empty 440 block on that rig.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

six-tee-nine

Well....... I'm getting a bit scared here.....

Maybe giving it a second look i might underestimate the total weight of a BB engine. So i'm thinkin of welding an extra thick square tube in front of the backbone. Wich should be strong enough (2 thinner tubes are stronger together than one big tube i guess).

Anyway thanks for the comments and i appreciate you guys concern with my safety, i'l keep you posted with new pic's when adjustments are made.....

Greetz.

gordo1968charger

68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Musicman

The backbone will likely fail... and so will the base. Those inward turned legs are going to fold and splay on the first bump... Sorry

Steve P.

I give you props for the DIY. I have to say, good try, but unless you are willing to use the propper steel, proper joints and weld like a pro, go buy a nice VERY heavy duty engine stand.

Mopar 440+6 is all kinds of right.  There is some math and crash knowledge involved here.. The crash knowledge being YOU DON'T WANT A MOTOR CRASHING DOWN ON A CHILD OR ANYONE ELSE.

Sorry buddy. SAFETY FIRST..  :yesnod:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

firefighter3931

That would make an OK transmission stand but no way would i hang a 440 off it  :o

Buy yourself a good 1000lb engine stand and there will be no worries.  :Twocents:

Best $40.00 you will spend  ;)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32916

If you feel like getting really fancy....this 2000lb folding model is the cats ass  :icon_smile_cool:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47304

Ron

Ps. I have one of each and they both work fine allthough the 1 ton model is more stable and stronger.
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs