News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cable (comcast) versus Elite DSL

Started by hemi68charger, December 06, 2007, 09:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
Anyone out there with experience with the Elite  DSL from AT&T? I used to have DSL a long time ago, but switched over to a cable service for the faster baud rates.. Now, I'm getting ready to move and was wondering about new DSL technology if it's as fast as cable.............. I'm getting tired of comcast, the latest is my email account apparently has been lost, pooffff

Thanks,,,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Charger74

As far as I know, DSL is still not as fast.  But the best thing about it, is that it's a dedicated line so it's not shared with everyone else on your block.  Cable is still rated around 10mbs while I think the fastest I've heard so far is maybe 5mbs. 

As for email, I use a free service like hotmail.   Less chance of some idiot at a cable/phone company losing it.  Plus I can access it anywhere in the world...

hemi68charger

Quote from: Charger74 on December 06, 2007, 09:13:44 AM
As far as I know, DSL is still not as fast.  But the best thing about it, is that it's a dedicated line so it's not shared with everyone else on your block.  Cable is still rated around 10mbs while I think the fastest I've heard so far is maybe 5mbs. 

As for email, I use a free service like hotmail.   Less chance of some idiot at a cable/phone company losing it.  Plus I can access it anywhere in the world...

I hear ya on the access.. So far, I've been with companies what have web-based email access, so that's never been a problem, until now.. Looks like my account was just "lost"....  Found out just now I have a friend with AT&T DSL, so I'm going to swing by his house and check out the baud rates...

Thanks...... 
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Charger74

NO problem, let us know what the baud rate is...

hemi68charger

Quote from: Charger74 on December 06, 2007, 10:57:01 AM
NO problem, let us know what the baud rate is...

right on...... It'll be bascially a law of diminishing returns... If the Elite DSL acts as quick as my cable for normal use, then so be it.. Since I don't play web-based games of high detail and/or resolution, I may not even notice.......

Troy

SeattleCharger

I am really sick of coNcast,  have the highest bandwith speed upgrade, regular speed of broadband is 4K advertised, then there is a 6K modem and I have the 8K modem upgrade, so I can play online games better.  Each upgrade made a noticeable difference, even though my "ping" rating in game was the same.  Problem is, when the neighborhood, which they have way oversold, is on their computers, it makes the game run quite a bit worse, big difference.  In the middle of the night I can kick butt, but during the day if I try it, on weekends, evening hours, my computer runs the game noticable quite a bit worse.  Hardly fun to play.   It isn't that their are more players either, same amount, and they are all over the world in different time zones anyways.   If I do any kind of bandwith speed test, the actual time is about 3K, sometimes it is 6K, late at night, I call coNcast and say I pay for the 8K upgrade, and its at 3K, they say, well, 8K is the max you can hit, 8000 mps, megabytes per second,  but that your actual bandwith speed may vary,  hah, what false advertising,  they spend so much on ads and signing up new people, they don't care that they oversold the pipe in the area, and as long as they have a monopoly basically, they don't need to upgrade, long as everyone has comcast they are happy.  If there was another choice that I knew of I would be interested.  Like your friends isn't effected by neighborhood people online? that sounds good.     I think a lot of people are fed up with comcast, but the capital investment is so huge that another company probably can't compete I guess,  sry this is so long, just saying. :Twocents:      I will say that the people that answer the phone are very friendly and helpful, not much they can do about it though.  could be worse, at least I have internet

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

hemi68charger

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on December 07, 2007, 05:27:46 AM
I am really sick of coNcast, 

I'm getting that waay.... As of two nights ago,, my email profile has been, poofff.. gone....... I don't have my account anymore...... So, I have to wait 7 hours before they can figure out what went wrong.. They initially said it was my roadrunner to comcast conversion, but that happened two months ago............  next excuse?............. I think that were hacked or my account got corrupt.....

Troy

69_500

We have comcast cable, as well as their cable access to the internet. We looked into switching to the AT&T to go the DSL, only to be told that their service doesn't come to my arear of town. Seems I live 1 block too far south to get their product. So for now we are stuck with comcast, and every month its something new with them. Had them scheduled to add an additional outlet in my sons' room the other day, the guy shows up, looks and says "Well I can't run the wire through the wall because it has insulation in the wall." I said "We are in Indiana, I don't have a wall in this house that doesn't have insulation in it." That was Nov. 9th, and he did nothing other than look. Today we get the cable bill with a $50 installation charge. My wife has been on the phone with them for an hour now explaining that they can't charge for something he didn't do. HE DIDN"T INSTALL anything. Just walked up the stairs, looked at the wall, said his 1 sentence, then walked out of the house.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on December 07, 2007, 04:53:18 PM
We have comcast cable, as well as their cable access to the internet. We looked into switching to the AT&T to go the DSL, only to be told that their service doesn't come to my arear of town. Seems I live 1 block too far south to get their product. So for now we are stuck with comcast, and every month its something new with them. Had them scheduled to add an additional outlet in my sons' room the other day, the guy shows up, looks and says "Well I can't run the wire through the wall because it has insulation in the wall." I said "We are in Indiana, I don't have a wall in this house that doesn't have insulation in it." That was Nov. 9th, and he did nothing other than look. Today we get the cable bill with a $50 installation charge. My wife has been on the phone with them for an hour now explaining that they can't charge for something he didn't do. HE DIDN"T INSTALL anything. Just walked up the stairs, looked at the wall, said his 1 sentence, then walked out of the house.

Freakin' morons are everywhere Danny... I've run across that stuff as well.. Stinks when you have to fight for your money endlessly.......

Troy
Troy

dukeboy_318

ive got comcast now and love it, my moms got the new dsl from AT&T andi hate it, cables much more reliable and faster in my opinion, cost more to though, but not by much.  Ive heard some good things but satelite internet but its over a hundred bucks a month :eek2:
1978 Dodge Power Wagon W200 4x4- 408 stroker/4spd
1974 Dodge Dart Swinger. 440 project in the works.

2Gunz

The DSL vs Cable arguments on both sides dont really hold water.

I could get into a book about why, but Id rather not bore you.

The long and short of it is the connection is only as good as the carrier.

And the service quality of the carriers is different in different places.

I live in Glendale CA, and had earthlink DSL, it sucked.

I have DSLextremes DSL for the last 5 years and love it.

I can count my outages on one had.

And it is Twice as fast as cable in the area.

And thats real download speeds vs whatever they claim it is.

I can download at 680 KB/sec all night and all day.

Your best bet is to look here ..... http://www.dslreports.com/search

Enter your zip code and it will show who is in your area and peoples reviews.

Good luck

2Gunz

Quote from: dukeboy_318 on December 07, 2007, 11:47:11 PM
ive got comcast now and love it, my moms got the new dsl from AT&T andi hate it, cables much more reliable and faster in my opinion, cost more to though, but not by much.  Ive heard some good things but satelite internet but its over a hundred bucks a month :eek2:

Ive done ALOT of research and have used satellite internet.

It has decent sustained transfer rates, but do to the design, fetch times and DNS

are very slow.

It should be considered a last ditch, i cant get anything else option.

SeattleCharger

In that link there is a review from someone in Pennsylvania, didn't know there were so many providers, got all A's in overview, read a review of it to try and find speed, here is a quote from part of it, on the Armstrong Zoom Internet:

"I run 10000Kbs zoom-business at $55 monthly with digital cable & I opted out of the phone I like my hard line. all in all there it. "

Well, don't know if he actually hits ten Mbs, but that's higher than comcast offers.  that is fast
Thanks for the link.

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.