News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

74 318 drives like a pig

Started by acelondon, December 04, 2007, 01:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acelondon

Now i know, the 318 isn't very powerful, but my Saturn will out run my Charger right now. If I'm in gear (auto) and i floor it from a stop, engine dies. Like i turned the key off. If I'm moving, and i floor it, it will chug and slow down for about 2 seconds, then fly like it should.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bTcUgQw5s-4

^^^me playing with the gas pedal when in park

My dad suggested its running too rich, my friend says i need an accelerator pump.  Any ideas?

I know a new engine or carb would fix it, but im looking for a fix that all i need is my screw driver. After all, i'm a poor college kid.

bordin34

Does it do this when the engine is warm? My original 318 2bbl did that at random times I don't know why. My 400 does that because it is running crazy rich. Can you smell unburned gas out of the exhaust? Have you looked at your plugs?

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

acelondon

That does sound about right. It never really jumps off the line, even when hot, maybe its just an automatic thing. lol

I'll check the plugs when i get home. Or maybe tomorrow, its supposed to be like 23* tonight.

The thing always smells like gas, cause the origional fuel line broke 3 days ago. i got that fixed, but the entire driveway and car small like gas. (it was the rubber one between the metal line to the tank and the pump)